Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fatherof4

If Others see and know..............................................

27 posts in this topic

Ok so we got our garden going we have the solar panels all ready to go........ we even got a water hand pump to pull in water...THEN all our preps pay off...the ballon goes up...and at first everything is fine then.....when the food starts getting short.. everybody in the area remembers the crazy guy down the street with the solar panels and garden and they all think DING!!!! FOOD>>>>POWER>>>>>WATER>>>>>>
It could get ugly folks... real ugly....remember if it get really bad it will be like a light house in a storm....
everybody is gonna know what you got...

Some new people moved on the road that my parents live on
and I noticed something that they did....

They are also into prepping, I know, I know the kind of
things to look for.

They planted sunflowers along the front of their garden,
running along the road. You couldn't even tell their was
a garden behind it. Very cleaver!

Plant lots of sunflowers!

Quote:
Some new people moved on the road that my parents live on
and I noticed something that they did....

They are also into prepping, I know, I know the kind of
things to look for.

A biiiiig dog works well...

Cat, I love the idea of the dog house! I already have several dogs, but it would be a great idea to place them where they would scare people off if something happens. But for people who don't own a dog, that would really work!

Kaye

Um, Cat? Wouldn't the geese look like FOOD to most people?

We have a gate that closes off our driveway and it's
connected to a wooden fence then on to regular fence
wire.

We took electric fence wire and attached it in between
the wooden planks and in between the gate rungs and
everyone, I mean everyone thinks that it's got current
going through it!

As for hiding things like water barrels I would use bushes.
Bushes will hid a lot of things.

sure geese looks like food... but if I am really hungry... you would look like food to me too!

Psssssssst mother...
Seriously though, I'm thinking of putting a false bookcase over a door to a small space I have. If you've heard how a lightweight false front is done let me know.The door is average sized run of the mill home depot kind.I'm going to knick knack the shelf so would be thieve's eyes would slide right over it. dopey idea or good?

Just an idea about hiding a door. We have some solid backed shelves (the backs are cardboard that looks like wood) that are almost as tall as a door - I think we bought them at Big Lots. If you can get a shelf that covers the major part of the door you can put plants of the top to cover any of the door that sitcks up above it. And some tall plants at the sides of the shelf will hide the edge if it sitcks out. Some plants that hang over the edge of the shelf would disguise any edges too. I just love plants!

The shelves we have are not easy to move around but I have seen these glider things that you can put under shelves and heavy things to make them easy to move and they are not very tall so they would't look obvious. Walmart had some that were very thin.

Good luck with the project!

consider starting a bartering system. YOU make the profit from those who were foolish enough to not be ready. personally i think everyone should have one vegetable growing in their backyard. and one fruit tree, as well. i also think vocational/adult schools can teach a course in self sufficient living. that would be a good name for it. under it would fall ecology, survival, roughing it, etc...

what do you think?

This is an idea for a concealed store we put together.

[attachment=1678:SN850149.JPG]

The cover is hidden hinged

[attachment=1679:SN850150.JPG]

Then it was clad and varnished to match the rest of the interior.

[attachment=1680:SN850151.JPG]

Ogre

WELL, Borrowing from the idea here... we bought an envelope of seeds. they have 65 in them. we prepared an area for them to be planted today. tomorrow we will plant them.

Psssssssst mother...

Seriously though, I'm thinking of putting a false bookcase over a door to a small space I have. If you've heard how a lightweight false front is done let me know.The door is average sized run of the mill home depot kind.I'm going to knick knack the shelf so would be thieve's eyes would slide right over it. dopey idea or good?

Really cool idea!

Just be sure to lock the door. Cuz this idea is becoming all too common. If thieves were in a hurry, it would be too much for them to bother searching out all that but....

MtRider :ph34r:

Psssssssst mother...

Really cool idea!

Have you looked on Instructables.com I know they have several hidden doorways and closets . Great directions on PDF; as well as fabulous ideas for

just about anything from fencing to "fencing" (like in the Olympics) from Halloween to electronic wonders.

I consider it a Go-To site for Preppers.

At the "homestead" we have an old walk-in closet (about 8x10) off one of the bedrooms. I'm going to have MM put in a false "wall" with a door that will look like a shoe rack. Have him cover the edges with decorative-type molding to make the "shoe rack" look cutesy and still not reveal that it's covering a door. If someone walks into the closet, they'll see 2 rods down each side and the "shoe rack" on the back wall. That will give me lots of room for shelving for a hidden pantry. We'll also have other areas in the house, but this one will be very discreet! He's a retired builder and is really good at laying out what I want...and then building it.

Remove the sheet rock or paneling from any standard 2x4 stud wall. Fasten 1x2's on the outer edge of the stud. Put 1x4 shelves between the studs. Now make a ceiling to floor shelving unit that has a fully covered back and is on wheels or hinges so you can swing it away from the wall to expose the shelves in back. A sheet of paneling over the wall in addition will give more secrecy if someone actually moved the shelf unit. With only a 1inch thickness added, it will not be obvious that the rear wall is thick enough to hide anything, but you can put qt canning jars one deep on those shelves.

Very nice, crabby - I used that concept to put a compartment behind my medicine chest (really a cabinet on the wall). I hinged the medicine chest on one side to swing out. Makes a nice med sized hidden compartment.

I saw an idea on tv the other day (on one of the new Doomsday prepper episodes, I confess :blush: ). the idea was pretty neat though -- the fella had a 'safe' for a box spring for his bed. It I am sure was expensive, it looked sturdy, had a lock and such. However, I started thinking that there could be a way to convert a regular old box spring (now I think they just call them 'foundations" .. at least that's what the lady called them when we got a new set a few years ago ... anyhoo...). Our box spring/foundation is in two parts (we rent, and in our previous apartment, a standard queen size wouldn't fit around the corner in the stairwell so the furniture store lady suggested the two parter after that). Our cat clawed off some of the black material beneath it, and I noticed there's some decent storage room in there! I started thinking, I could probably take each of the two sections, overturn them, fill them with lighter weight stuff (since they'd have to be lifted back on to the bed frame rails) and then since I'd need something other than flimsy fabric to hold it all in, maybe some plywood stapled/nailed in to place.

I figure if the roaming hoardes or whomever ever come, and ransack, they'd maybe throw the mattress off thinking we'd have money or something hidden beneath the mattress or bed, but I wonder if they'd think of the box spring/foundation?

Hmmm... this is something I'm giving a lot of thought to. We're short on storage space as it is, this could possibly work. (at least that's what I am thinking at the moment)

I was at "coffee row" in our small town cafe yesterday. People there were making crude remarks about a fellow in town who is a Survivalist. The gossips "knew" he had a store of water and would be "down in his basement bunker with his water jugs when the end of the world comes". They were all so cruel. I found it difficult to defend this person and his reasoning for fear of having my own status as a prepper become more fuel for the fire. It hurt to hear the taunts. I had such mixed thoughts about it---- like why couldn't he have kept quiet about his prepping, to wondering if I should talk to him, or maybe not, he might give out information about us.........

Part of it I know, is that because my dh is only just coming FULLY board with my prepping I wonder how much HE says on coffee row too. I ask him not to say anything but sometimes he doesn't seem to hear what I say, or realise the seriousness of it all. WHAT TO DO?

I need to go back in the form to be reminded of how to deal with these situations.

I saw an idea on tv the other day (on one of the new Doomsday prepper episodes, I confess :blush: ). the idea was pretty neat though -- the fella had a 'safe' for a box spring for his bed. It I am sure was expensive, it looked sturdy, had a lock and such. However, I started thinking that there could be a way to convert a regular old box spring (now I think they just call them 'foundations" .. at least that's what the lady called them when we got a new set a few years ago ... anyhoo...). Our box spring/foundation is in two parts (we rent, and in our previous apartment, a standard queen size wouldn't fit around the corner in the stairwell so the furniture store lady suggested the two parter after that). Our cat clawed off some of the black material beneath it, and I noticed there's some decent storage room in there! I started thinking, I could probably take each of the two sections, overturn them, fill them with lighter weight stuff (since they'd have to be lifted back on to the bed frame rails) and then since I'd need something other than flimsy fabric to hold it all in, maybe some plywood stapled/nailed in to place.

I figure if the roaming hoardes or whomever ever come, and ransack, they'd maybe throw the mattress off thinking we'd have money or something hidden beneath the mattress or bed, but I wonder if they'd think of the box spring/foundation?

Hmmm... this is something I'm giving a lot of thought to. We're short on storage space as it is, this could possibly work. (at least that's what I am thinking at the moment)

What I would suggest would be to make two plywood boxes, open on top, and put those on the bed frame. Cover the sides with quilted material from the fabric store. Make a lid from plywood, cover it with the same fabric and set it in place then put the mattress on top. You might find a way to fasten the plywood top down, but I think if someone was turning mattresses and foundations over, they are going to find your stash anyhow so it probably isn't really necessary to go to the extra trouble. Just be sure you can lift the top off easily.

You might also want to make something to slide under the bed to store things in as well.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0