Momo

Reuses, recycling, hints and tips

107 posts in this topic

This would take a great deal of time, but it looked so cool I had to share it...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/pardonourdust/images/2008/04/24/tincans

(Edited to add:)

tincans.jpg

Edited by Cat
to show picture after link "broke".

Leah,

I bet he isn't troubled with decent cell phone coverage or thoughts from aliens - all that metal....amazing!

I remember making shingles for a play house with the can ends, and we used to use the opened cans to cover outbuildings... I just can't recall them looking particularly artistic like this does.

hmmm...EMP shielding???

It looks really nifty!

Did the article say how those lids were stuck to the wall? Were they welded or soldered together? Were they glued?

About every inch or so, you can see a little tack head on the big ones. That's an awful lot of tacks, though.

I remember nailing them with one or two nails, and overlapping like shingles on a gingerbread roof; and using some sort of glue on the vertical walls.

If you are throwing out a broken headset or earphones...there are good magnets in the earpiece. You can scavenge them before tossing out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inhabitat/250...57605116736037/

BVD Waste Not Lamp - made from recycled plastic knives

2500514189_5f08eb0cd5_o.jpg

http://www.graypants.com/2008/06/scrap-lights/

Found more lights. Corrugated cardboard boxes cut into circles and stacked.

scraplight_05-593x396.jpg

And here are lights from plastic water bottles. http://lfss-create.blogspot.com/

foosim5.jpg

foosim1.jpg

Recycle worms..

If you have worms left after fishing, don't toss them out. You can put them in your fridge and they kind of "sleep". You can save them for 7-10 days. If you won't be fishing again soon, put them(and the dirt with them) in your compost bin or feed to your chickens.

How about some "free" plant labels?

Instead of buying those plastic labels to mark your garden plants, make use of that old mini blind that you were going to throw away. Cut the strings, then cut the slats into 6" strips. A single blind gives you literally hundreds of labels. Don't have an old mini blind? Ask on Frecycle, or the cheap ones are only about $4, much cheaper than those "real" labels.

Originally Posted By: Fritz_Monroe
How about some "free" plant labels?

Instead of buying those plastic labels to mark your garden plants, make use of that old mini blind that you were going to throw away. Cut the strings, then cut the slats into 6" strips. A single blind gives you literally hundreds of labels. Don't have an old mini blind? Ask on Frecycle, or the cheap ones are only about $4, much cheaper than those "real" labels.

We have used these for years.
they are good for all kinds of things from seed markers to paint sticks to bookmarks. And we get some in color to use as well.
Michael2

for the one who buys Hefty plates & then puts them in the dishwasher,Why? Just go ahead & use your glass plates,they go in the dishwasher too,or am I just not getting what you meant?

I actually have a tip for using old drier sheets... If you quilt they work well for machine applique. iron them flat, trace your pattern piece onto them and then layer you fabric on them (wrong side out) and stitch with a small stitch length all the way around it. When you're done,trim close to the stitching line and very carefully cut a slit in the drier sheet so you can turn it right-side out. You can use a tooth pick or bamboo skewer to turn the pointy bits. You'll have neatly turned under edges. Press it and Pin it in place then stitch it down with either a narrow zig-zag or a blanket stitch.

I live in a town, and have no yard at all, but I like plants, especially plants I can eat: I make my own composts, one way is to shred newspapers into tiny strips and small lengths, I add a small amount of soil, then add earth worms.... Makes good soil.

Most people already know you can compost almost any non-greasy food scraps, which I do in another container. I like the second use I get out of thus recycling!

I "sprout" seeds & beans in glass jars of store purchased foods.

OLD (unusable) clothes, cloth, gets cut up, (buttons removed) and become "stuffing" for pillows, stout enough to sit-or-lay on, at floor level, firm enough to support my back in a chair or on the sofa, and way cheaper than store purchased.

The plastic I place over windows for the winter, become a "trash bag" for that week's pick up!

Slivers of hand soap go in a container with water until it suspends in the water and become a "pumpable" liquid soap!

Most of these Ideas I got from my step mom! Thanks Mom!

Originally Posted By: Val
I save paper egg cartons to use for plant starters in the spring - you can just put them right into the ground - just cut them into the individual cups - they are also good for making fire starters - melt old candle bits - put wood chips, dryer lint into each cup and pour the wax over them - pull off as needed - a couple cups in a ziploc in your BOB is handy too!

I use these firestarters all winter long for starting the cornstove. They work fantastically. I was going to post it till I saw this one;?)

I can't remember if it was on this thread or another, but ever since reading about the uses for dryer lint we've been making little fire starters by stuffing the dryer lint into empty toilet rolls.

Since I started doing that, I feel like I became an "upgraded prepper" !

lol

Originally Posted By: midwest prepper
for the one who buys Hefty plates & then puts them in the dishwasher,Why? Just go ahead & use your glass plates,they go in the dishwasher too,or am I just not getting what you meant?

We use the Hefty plates for barbecues outside. To get to our patio we have to go from the kitchen, down the stairs to the basement and then outside. Glass plates are heavy and breakable.

Thanks for the ideas ladies. I like the idea of refacing a comforter with new material. I can do that!

Loved the tin lid wall idea too.

Something I plan on doing this winter, that in the spring will become “recycling”;

For some reason, my apartment walls are not well insulated, nor are the windows installed properly, they “leak” cold into the building. The last 2 winters I simply but up 2 layers of plastic, with bubble wrap in between the layers of clear plastic. ( which I can recycle to hold trash in the following spring). This coming winter I will used BLACK plastic trash bags, smaller than the windows opening, hanging like curtains do, from a rod that extends farther out than do the existing curtains, and will be also attached to a lower rod at the windows’ bottom I read about doing this on-line someplace, and liked the idea. I have also seen some homes doing this, ans I wondered why, now I know!

The black plastic will absorb the suns heat, then reflect it into the room. This is only a small solar gain, but supplements the building’s heat. By having some sun on either side of the black plastic, I get natural solar gain & light. When the sun sets, I close the curtains to retain any heat. So far, each year, I have lined the backs of my curtains with bubble wrap for added insulation. ( it works, provided the curtain hug the walls beyond the windows and sag a bit on the floor).

It will be great if the black plastic works as planned, but greater still the I will recoup all costs, except the tape I will use!

I hope this might be helpful to someone!

use paper egg cartons and cut the individual cups apart, then use old cooking oil in the paper cup to start the wood stove. a tablespoon of oil burns a long time, if you let it soak into the egg carton a bit first the oil wicks up the sides and burns even longer. Handy when you have some stubborn slightly damp wood.

Old clothes, minus buttons, snaps, hooks, etc. can be cut up in strips, woven, sewn on corners, stacked, covered in fabric... You have a heavy pillow that will support MUCH weight and not distort!

If you are anything like me you have a ton of extra shiny silver cd's around.

For a Christmas decorating idea set several cd's on your dining room table. Use small or tealight candles and set them in the center of the cd. Make sure the cd is shiny side up. The lights from the candles will reflect off the cd's and it looks really cool.

You can also use a cd or an old lp album and buy a clockworks set at a hobby store or Wal-mart. Install the works in the center of the lp/cd.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor