Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kelly

laundry soap recipe ?

48 posts in this topic

Last night on, "Are You Really Ready" I clicked on Washing Clothes the Old Fashioned Way". I ran across a piece by SDBookMom discussing wash boards. (Thanks,I need a large one) I went to the site she suggested and them one thing led to another and then I was reading PureCajunSunshine's post about "Wash day on the Bayou". There, she mentioned the Octagon bar soap and I had never heard of it. Sooo, I Googled it and somewhere along the line I ran across www.soapsgonebuy.com. There are laundry soap recipes there as well as a few products. Maybe someone might be interested. I did discover that Octagon soap has lye in it.

FYI - don't waste your time grating the bar soap. Just let it dissolve in a pan of warm water overnight.

HUGE labor saver!

(I used to absolutely dread running out of laundry soap because it meant I had to grate a blasted bar of soap. No Longer! I LOVE this method!)

Thanks Misty I have been to the site and was going to order washing soda but...shipping was more than the washing soda! Darn, I thought I would actually get some.

Ask your local grocers to order and stock what you need (washing soda, Octagon, Zote or Fels Naptha soap, etc). Some are more willing than others to please their customers, so don't give up if one grocer looks at you as if you've grown a third eye or something.

Kelly,

Lately I have been finding the Arm & Hammer Washing Soda at Kroger Stores (aka City Market or King Soopers). Safeway used to carry it, but stopped. It is found in the laundry soap aisle.

Andrea, thanks for the tip about dissolving the soap overnight in a pan of warm water.

YYY

I'm going to ask at the Winn Dixie I use to work at. Heck I'll get an order gun and order it myself! LOL My luck its unauthorized! Thanks YYY but we don't have a Krogers or any of those stores here. I used baking soda in this batch and its working fine but I'd like to try the washing soda too. I wonder what ingredients are different in baking & washing soda?

Kelly...maybe this might help. From another site, I found this suggestion. Call 1-800-524-1328 (Consumer Relations). Tell them what you are looking for and give them this UPC code:

3320003020. I believe they will ask you for your zip code and then tell you places in your area that sell the washing soda. I tried to call them but got a recording stating they were open Mondays thru Friday. One person said they found the washing soda with the fabric softeners. They say that washing soda is 100% sodium carbonate, also known as soda ash,that is sold at pool supply stores in bulk. It might be another lead but I'm sure you would want to ask questions. Sometimes the way it is processed changes the whole makeup.

Kelly, I have never been able to find washing soda, so I have always used the PH increaser for pools, which is 100% sodium carbonate, same thing as the washing powder. We keep a jug of the PH increaser here anyway for the pool. I make the 5 gal. laundry soap...Zote, Borax and PH+...wonderful stuff! We grate the Zote with a hand grater, melt down or leave sit in hot water. Add the other stuff, stir well. I haul the bucket out to sit next to the washer and fill up with a water hose, stir real good and by next morning its a pretty pink gel. I stir again on wash day, use 1/2 cup per load so 5 gal. goes a LONG ways. Hubby is a mechanic and it does a great job on greasy jeans, much better than store bought stuff. Final rinse is 1/2 cup vinegar, line dried wash is super clean, soft, and bright. The only other thing I add is bleach to the white loads.

A friend of mine is coming from Ohio to see us in May so she is going to check on the washing soda up there but if she doesn't find it I'll get the pool stuff. Thanks.

washing soda.. Arm and Hammer... I can't find it, can't get anyone to order if for me.. on line of course and then the shipping charges kill me!

in the kitchen under cast iron... Amber posted a link to cleaning cast iron.. and at the bottom of the page????

washing soda! how to make it!

Want to make your own "laundry soda"? Take baking soda, spread it out onto a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven at a little over 300 degrees for an hour or so it will drive away a water and CO2 molecule thus making washing soda.

At temperatures above 300o Fahrenheit (149o Celsius), baking soda decomposes into sodium carbonate, water, and carbon dioxide.

2NaHCO3 -> Na2Co3 + H20 + CO2

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

I always use Zote but generally keep some Ivory on hand just in case I run out. I'm never guaranteed to be able to find washing soda in my area and when I can't I do substitute with baking soda. I've not had any ill effects on my clothes or machine. And truthfully, the baking soda mixture tends to work better for me most of the time.

Hi,

I'm really interested in this thread, mainly because I just bought more laundry soap. I was appalled at the prices! I also just replaced my standard washer & dryer for a front-loader set. These are energy effecient machines & require LESS soap, less bleach, softener, etc. It seems that they are charging more for HE soap when it's the SAME soap, only has HE on the label.

I thought that the borax/soda/lye soap combo was caustic and damaging to clothes & washing machine pumps. Does anyone know:

1. How does it keep the colors bright, prevent fading, and fresh smelling?

2. Couldn't you use bluing instead of soda for brightening?

3. This caustic combination also tends to dry skin - for those with sensitive skin, wouldn't it wreak havoc on clothes, not to mention the residues on skin?

4. Has anyone with a front-loading machine used this homemade soap with success?

Thanks for your feedback. I really wouldn't mind making soap, but this is something that unless I HAVE to do it, I'm not looking forward to it.

Originally Posted By: westbrook
washing soda.. Arm and Hammer... I can't find it, can't get anyone to order if for me.. on line of course and then the shipping charges kill me!

in the kitchen under cast iron... Amber posted a link to cleaning cast iron.. and at the bottom of the page????

washing soda! how to make it!

Want to make your own "laundry soda"? Take baking soda, spread it out onto a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven at a little over 300 degrees for an hour or so it will drive away a water and CO2 molecule thus making washing soda.
At temperatures above 300o Fahrenheit (149o Celsius), baking soda decomposes into sodium carbonate, water, and carbon dioxide.
2NaHCO3 -> Na2Co3 + H20 + CO2

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Westbook,

Do you have a Winco near you? We just got a Winco and they carry the Washing Soda. If you want to try and connect up this summer as we planned to do before in Littlerock, I am willing to get you some and bring it! Just let me know! smile

I couldn't find it where I live and a lady told me to use baking soda. I did and the clothes are great. A friend from Ohio just brought me 5 boxes of washing soda from up there so I'll try it in the next batch to see if theres a difference. Kelly

Just found Fels Naptha Soap at our Roundy's food store. It is scented! A very strong floral. When did they start that? Brother-in-law usually washes all his hunting clothes in Fels Naptha so the animals can't smell him. This definitely will not work unless he's hunting two-legged deer. Better warn my sister!

Found everything we needed EXCEPT the Fels Naptha Soap! Went everywhere! Finally ordered it for $1.50 a bar (shipping for up to 7 bars was $4.65. I just googled Fels Naptha and there was a store for purchasing soaps from by-gone eras! Want to experiment with it and see if it is something that would be of interest of others wanting to go "green" around here . . . .

Originally Posted By: Crazy4Canning

I've never noticed any smell other than clean. My clothes don't seem to have faded at all & seem just as bright as they were before.

Sorry, I don't even know what blueing is.

3. This caustic combination also tends to dry skin - for those with sensitive skin, wouldn't it wreak havoc on clothes, not to mention the residues on skin?

My daughter and I both have very sensitive skin and I think it is much less irritating than the store stuff with coloring (which she is allergic too) and perfumes. I never ever noticed it leaving any residue on my skin or clothes in the year I've been using it. JMO.

4. Has anyone with a front-loading machine used this homemade soap with success?

Sorry, top-loading machine here.

Thanks for your feedback. I really wouldn't mind making soap, but this is something that unless I HAVE to do it, I'm not looking forward to it.

HTH

I also want to add that we do not use fabric softener/dryer sheets other than 1/2 cup of white vinegar with every load of clothes. I do have to use the vinegar or the clothes are too stiff feeling, especially the towels.

Hi,

I have used it on in a front loading washer in a laundry mat of all places. The owner almost had a cow but I assured him I would not flood the place with suds. Before I left there he was asking me for the recipe for my washing powders.

I do not add the water I just the powder and I use 1-2 tablespoons depending on what I am washing.

I add 1/4 vinegar to the rinse water and my clothes are clean and don't have any perfume smell. We have bad allergies and can not handle the strong perfume smells from washing powders and dryer sheets.

Last night on, "Are You Really Ready" I clicked on Washing Clothes the Old Fashioned Way". I ran across a piece by SDBookMom discussing wash boards. (Thanks,I need a large one) I went to the site she suggested and them one thing led to another and then I was reading PureCajunSunshine's post about "Wash day on the Bayou". There, she mentioned the Octagon bar soap and I had never heard of it. Sooo, I Googled it and somewhere along the line I ran across www.soapsgonebuy.com. There are laundry soap recipes there as well as a few products. Maybe someone might be interested. I did discover that Octagon soap has lye in it.

I make my own soap and use it. It is made with Lye. It is not hard to make at all. I use it for everything! Laundry bathing and heavy cleaning. I also use animal fats to make my soap, but I have also made some with just vegetable type oils. You do have to be careful as to what you put in your soap, if anyone in the family has allergies.

I've never noticed any smell other than clean. My clothes don't seem to have faded at all & seem just as bright as they were before.

Sorry, I don't even know what blueing is.

My daughter and I both have very sensitive skin and I think it is much less irritating than the store stuff with coloring (which she is allergic too) and perfumes. I never ever noticed it leaving any residue on my skin or clothes in the year I've been using it. JMO.

As to the dry sensitive skin, I use my handmade lye soap and have not had dry skin. It is more moisturizing than store bought bath soaps. It is much easier on the clothes, in my opinion, that store bought. Also the handmade soaps don't have any fillers in them. Take two glasses half full of water, add a teaspoon of store bought laundry soap to one and stir to dissolve, Then, add a little less or the same amount of handmade laundry soap to the other glass and stir. See which has things floating in the bottom. The only other laundry soap that I have found that didn't have additives was from Amway. And you only used less than a quarter of a cup to a large load of clothes. It makes me wonder if it was all natural.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0