Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andrea

Growing the Eternal Tomato

8 posts in this topic

good idea! That could be a money saver. I had a tomato plant I left on the west side of my house survive until February...it produced tomatos until the end of November...we used some for Thanksgiving. It was finally killed off during a hard freeze. I was hoping it would survive because i wanted to see how hardy it would be the following year.

I once kept a potted pepper plant going for a few years. This year I have my first-ever bearing beefsteak tomato--you can bet I'll try this!

I just planted a tomato plant for spring and in the process broke off a sucker limb. So I placed it in a glass of water and let it root and planted it. It's doing great. Two plants for the price of one.

1 person likes this

I've done this before. It is really a good way to keep the tomatoes going. I've had tomatoes all thru the winter (in Colorado even) and plants ready to go in spring.

If you have a couple of plants in 5 gal containers all winter, you will have more than enough to take cuttings for your entire garden.

I do soomething almost like this each year.

Near the end of garden season we always find a few 'volunteers' that have come up here and there. We dig them up and put into pots and they go into the greehouse for the winter. Some we keep in the small pots, they don't grow that fast that way and the other ones I repot as the plant get bigger. We can't put tomatoes out in the garden until about May 15 but I have one that is over 3 feet tall with lots of flowers and a few tiny tomatoes coming already, growing in the greehouse.

Do the same with pepper plants as well as a few flowers.

:AmishMichael2:

How did I forget about this technique?!? Off to root some starts from the tomatoes I already have in the ground.

1 person likes this

On 4/1/2010 at 0:30 PM, betty said:

I just planted a tomato plant for spring and in the process broke off a sucker limb. So I placed it in a glass of water and let it root and planted it. It's doing great. Two plants for the price of one.

Last fall, I started the seeds indoors.  When I put the pots out to harden a month ago, a wind knocked one pot over, breaking the stems.  I cut the two limbs and put them in water.  They rooted and I got 2 plants that are already blooming.  

Thanks for bumping this Andrea. Good advice.  :happy0203:

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0