Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Insurance

Keeping snakes and black widows out of fire wood

12 posts in this topic

My husband and I are in the process of having a wood burning stove installed in our basement. Naturally we are putting up fire wood to be used for the next winter, but one of our concerns is that copperheads and black widows like to make their homes in piled wood. I'm looking for suggestions on how to prevent this.

One idea I had was to lay a tarp on the ground and place the logs in the middle. Then bringing the corners to the top and secure shut ~ only leaving a small opening to allow the wood to breath. I'm not sure if that would even work, but it is all I could think of.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

I doubt the tarp idea would work, for a couple of reasons.

First, there would be a tendency for moisture to stay inside, even with a hole to "breathe".

And second, you would actually be creating a *more* hospitable place for them to crawl into, since spiders would love the dark, mice would welcome the "safe place", and the snakes would follow.

I would think that it would be best to do the "neat piles", which involves stacking as you cut & split, but it leaves ends exposed and I would think would invite less infestation. There's more light and exposure to the weather, even if covered with a tarp on top.

You hammer stakes into the ground on both ends of your "pile", then stack wood in-between. You have at least one end of the wood exposed to air and light, and take wood from the top, gradually exposing more and more wood, and chasing critters elsewhere as you do.

One pic, stacked between trees: http://www.jaygaulard.com/blog/wp-content/...e-wood-pile.jpg

Illustration: one cord of wood

square pile: http://olsonfirewood.com/images/cord_field.jpg

And I would just always use a good pair of gloves when someone gets the wood. Protects your hands in several ways! ;)

Here is some of our wood. We pile it in a large circle and have our outdoor firepit in the center. It's close and handy for the fire and also blocks some of the wind . It's not a great pic but you get the idea.

OurPlace1.jpg

Edited by CoM

Mothballs for the snakes...

The 'catch':

If there is a reliable source of food (mice, etc) in your woodpile, hungry goal-oriented snakes will ignore the mothballs and dine anyway. Get rid of the mice, and the snakes will go someplace else for dinner.

Mice hate peppermint. This year, I am planting peppermint around my woodpile!

If you ever use glueboards...and if you catch a harmless kind of snake or other critter, pour vegetable oil over it to release it.

Peppermint. Now why didn't I think of that? My husband even mentioned planting it around our house to keep the mice out. Duh! Got any suggestions for keeping cats out of my garden? They seem to think it is their litter box ~ ugh.

Oil to release snakes from a glue board? Smart! Are you just naturally skillful? In a crisis, I want you for my neighbor! :0327: Have you ever considered moving to Kentucky?

coM, that is a monstrous pile of wood! How long did that take to put up? I guess the heat from the fire would smoke the snakes/mice out. You have a great set up.

The main thing we are concerned with is our small children and the neighborhood kids who come to play with my younger children.

Insurance, you can create humane cat repellent by simmering 2 tablespoons of crush red pepper flakes in 1 quart water for 20 minutes. Put this stinky formula in a spray bottle and spray the perimeters of your garden. You can also a motion activated sprinkler system.

Insurance, you can create humane cat repellent by simmering 2 tablespoons of crush red pepper flakes in 1 quart water for 20 minutes. Put this stinky formula in a spray bottle and spray the perimeters of your garden. You can also a motion activated sprinkler system.

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

My husband and I are in the process of having a wood burning stove installed in our basement. Naturally we are putting up fire wood to be used for the next winter, but one of our concerns is that copperheads and black widows like to make their homes in piled wood. I'm looking for suggestions on how to prevent this.

One idea I had was to lay a tarp on the ground and place the logs in the middle. Then bringing the corners to the top and secure shut ~ only leaving a small opening to allow the wood to breath. I'm not sure if that would even work, but it is all I could think of.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Hello,

I was looking for different ideas about keeping snakes away this year and found this site. Seems she has a few ideas that may be worth trying. http://www.sustainable-gardening-tips.com/Garden-Snake.html

Hope it helps

Ugh! I hate snakes. :animal0017: Don't like spiders either. Yuk! Almost don't even read a thread with this kind of title....LOL

I'm no expert...having positioned myself so far up in the mts. that we don't have snakes....except that one I stepped on :o last year. [did ya all here my yell? ] BUT would making the ground around the woodpile really sharp gravel help? Or mebbe something like oyster shell we use for calcium for poultry? Is that sharp enough that they won't slither across?

Just guessing here. But I don't think the tarp is a good idea. :shakinghead:

MtRider [ yiiiieeeee.....sitting here typing with my toes curled up....yuk! ]

I think I've heard in the past that snakes do not like to crawl across ashes

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0