Mt_Rider

WAGONS HO!- Preparation

164 posts in this topic

AH Michael, I hope you get it soon. Now you have me curious. :D

:bighug2:

Yes....if anyone is still working on The Perfect List....go ahead and post a partial and then later, Quote Yourself to be able to bump forward any additions/edits as you work on the list.

Remember, this isn't just fun and games with our Conestoga Wagons. InRealLife, any of us may have to load up our Chevy Suburbans or Dodge Dakotas or whatever and really do an "immigration". Not to get gloomy but, remember all the "conestoga wagons" on our highways during the Great Depression? Cars and cars with families camping out and looking in new regions for work. THIS is the modern application of our somewhat fanciful list-making. To KNOW what useful resources you already have and what you might want to purchase towards your preps.

OK back to the Wagons Ho UNreality......

Sorry for the absence. I've been hit with my MS Fall Fatigue Thing [my personal name for what happens for an unspecified period of time nearly every fall for me and many others with MS]. Auuugggh! SOOOoooooo fatigued that I feel like I'll pass out when I stand up. I can take short breaks to feed myself or even quickly put supper in the oven/crockpot. But yikes! [MtRider is not a happy camper right now....and it's very fortunate that she loves reading...devouring books right now to pass the time required to be laying down.] Anyway, I might be able to do some computer work from the couch now that I have a laptop. :D But so far....I keep falling asleep.

But I am mentally still creating my list.

Just wait for some "adventures" I have planned for WagonsHo participants. :P

MtRider [gotta go lay down again....quickly..... :0327::wave: ]

People: Annarchy & DH

Skills: Knowledge of cows, chickens, pigs, gardening, campfire cooking, hunting & fishing, free diving, 1st aid, DH is also a weapon expert,

Added: artist, crochet, & accountant. (Jews Harp for me & a harmonica for my DH)

Animals and supplies: 1 ferret, leashes & 10 lbs food, after that he can eat his natural small critters.

Added: Anyone needing to remove small rodents can barter with us. (15 lbs.)

Kitchen: Lg. Double boiler, 2 cast iron frying pans-1 sm, 1 lg., 2 sm pots for boiling. Sm BBQ, (if I have room, a BBQ smoker.) Coleman cook stove w/fuel, muffin pan, casserole pan, and bread pan, a set of silverware, knife block, utensils ......

Added: Remove smoker & coleman cook stove w/fuel, due to room constraints. Can do the same with my sm BBQ or a pit. Removed the knife block but keep the knives, 1 ladle, lg. sieve spoon, 1 serving spoon. Added my Haro. (15 lbs)

Health/sanitation: Lots of cotten towels, (more later)

Added: 1 Case of TP, 1 sheet & 5 towels cut for wash clothes, 5 tubes of toothpaste, 4 toothbrushes, 20 bars and 1 liter of liquid antibacterial soap. (15 lbs)

Medical: 1st aid kits, snake bite kits, sting & poison relief kits, sheets for bandages, & a pair of adjustable crutches.

Added: 3 1st aid kits, 2 sheets for bandages.

Shelter: 8 Sleeping bags-warm, cold & freezing weather, a tent.

Added: Remove warm weather sleeping bags, added 2 med/sm wool blankets, 1 down comforter and 1 blue jean quilt. 3 rollup foam bed cushions.

Clothing: At least 15 Jackets-warm, cold & freezing weather.

Added: Removed most of the jackets. Kept: 1 waterproof drover, 2 windbreakers, 2 down jackets, 1 thick sweater.

Daily Clothing:

For me: 2 broomstick skirts, 1 pair of overalls, 3 pair of jeans, 8 t-shirts, 2 bras & 8 pair of undies, 6 pair of warm socks. 2 pr of tennis shoes, 2 pr of boots, 2 pr of moccosins (1 cold- 1 warm), & 1 pr of sandles.

For DH: 3 pair of jeans, 6 BDU sets, 10 t-shirts, 10 pair of undies & 10 pr of socks, 2 pr of boots, and 1 pr of sturdy shoes, 1 pr of flipflops.

(Fits in 2 suitcases.)

Tools: DH's tool chest with most everything for the home and for weapon repairs.

Added: Hand drill & bits, & 2 saws with whet stone for sharpening things. 1 hoe, 1 rake, 2 spades, 1 hand trowel & spade. 5 fishing poles, 2 tackle boxes, 1 re-curve & 1 compound bows and arrows. Several hand guns & rifles with some cases of ammo.

Lighting: 2 Coleman fluid lanterns, 5 Gal of fluid, 10 lbs candles.

Added: 25 Bick lighters, 5 boxes of matches, 2 magnesium fire starter kits, 3 small led lights, 1 solar flashlight. Will assist in candle making when necessary.

Food/water: 120 gal of potable water & 100 gal of non potable. ((@8lb/gal=960lbs)+ (x 8=800) Total 1,760 lbs of water!!?)

Added:

1 Case of each (store bought):

canned chicken

canned tuna fish

canned vegetables

canned fruit

50 lbs beans, 50 lbs rice, 5 lbs dried meat/jerky, 10 lbs mixed nuts, 5 lbs dried blueberries, 5 lbs oatmeal, 3 lbs dried milk, 1 lb creamer, 10 lbs instant coffee, 25 lbs flour, 25 lbs sugar, 9 Pkg yeast, 1 lb baking pwd, 1 lb baking soda,

2 mountain bikes, and DH wants to tow the ATV for recon activities and bring the generator..... :shrug:

I’ll have to add this up later but wanted to update my list. – Still working on it…. Since our weight limit is now 2,000! I’ve gotta re-evaluate the water…

So it only took 2 hours but I did it!

Here is our wagon all ready for the trip!

HomesteadersWagon.jpg

This is a wagon one of our Amish Friends made for a Auction. Wish it was for us! ;)

So now we will need to load it up . Hope to add more photos as we pack things up seeing we own most of what we will need.

OHHHHHH I AM envious AH. That's a really nice wagon. Can you give us the dementions on it? It looks as if the gentleman was standing inside he'd touch or almost touch the top. It really is a falacy that most settlers used a conestoga wagon to travel across the west.

Most were lucky they could afford a farm wagon with a make shift cover over the top. Surprisingly enough, especially later in the migration, some people traveled in buggies with wagons coming behind but it wasn't the best way to travel and most of them ended up in the wagon or walking eventually. Buggies were just not meant to stand up to that abuse.

Anarchy, that's a great start to the list. Water is truly a heavy item and as Mt_R says we're to have a water wagon following us we can hedge a little on that but.........what if something happens to the water wagon??? She DOES promise us some adventures. I believe I'll at least add a barrel to the outside of my wagon and keep it full as well. We're bound to find some water along the way....I hope. :o

OHHHHHH I AM envious AH. That's a really nice wagon. Can you give us the dementions on it? It looks as if the gentleman was standing inside he'd touch or almost touch the top. It really is a falacy that most settlers used a conestoga wagon to travel across the west.

That 'gentleman' is ........................... ME! LOL

and this is a smaller one that they might use in reenactments and / or Parades?

But it is COOL! We got to follow it back to the shop one day and I tell you it brought back some memories of all the stories we have read.

But you are right as he (Amish Carpenter) started with a farm wagon and built it from that.

:AmishMichaelstraw: <--- does this look like the guy in the photo? LOL

Hmmmm, Are you sure, your posts don't look old enough to be that picture!!. :unsure:

Hey, I think this "Quote Yourself" idea works well. So I'm finally getting to update my packing so far. Added items are marked below. Anarchy, I can see you are putting a lot of thot into this. I'm impressed that you are estimating the weight. I tend to see in "mass"...as in: what can I fit in this space. And I'm so good at it that I can pack very dense .....and HEAVY! :beat_deadhorse: <---see why I'm using oxen? ....MtRider adding a couple more oxen to her team... :rollingeyes:

Participants: MtRider & MrMtR

Skills:

chiro/health care/herbal/acupuncture/First Aid

knowledge of horses [& donkey], goats, ducks, dogs, cats....including some vet care.

gardening experience

minor canning experience

campfire cooking experience

some wildcrafting experience

lead women's Bible study..& dh knows Greek

some hunting/fishing

some constructing of shelter/building

Animals:

I'll chose an OXEN team for our wagon. Sturdy, strong, steady.....(are they as dumb as they seem?)

1 horse,

1 donkey,

------and equine tack, brushes/hoof picks, blankets, water buckets, packs & saddlebags

a dozen ducks in a cage strapped to the side of the wagon

------water dishes, buckets of feed for layers, egg cleaning "buff" glove, waterglass concentrate and bucket to preserve without refrigeration,

4 Nigerian dwarf milk goats-does [need to breed them before we leave...or Steph, is your buck a dwarf/mini??]

------5 gal bucket with birthing supplies, picnic basket with normal milking equipment, minerals, some grain/alfalfa for milkers, hoof trimmers,

guardian BIG DOG

-------Dog's BOB, harness, collar, lead rope, chews, bed cover (can be stuffed with dried grass for her to sleep on),

Added: Small, waterproof tent....in case of rain and the already-wet dog is NOT sleeping in our tent! :o

cat has to come for rodent control when we get there

-------Cat's BOB and carrier, food, dishes, string toy,......and earplugs cuz she'll be howling her unhappiness the whole way. :rolleyes:

ADDED: I use a halter-type [not neck collar] and leash. More secure for slippery cats. Also have a small, pop-up, net tunnel thing for her to stretch her legs but would need watching.

Kitchen:

--Lots of cast iron...but I don't have any larger fire pit dutch ovens for the communal kitchen. Fry pans to share tho.

--Family [manual] grain grinder...with 4 attatchments: grinder, veggie slicer/dicer, meat grinder, grain cereal flaker.

--Backup grinder

--Apple peelers

--Food mill

--Sauerkraut bucket/pounder/net cover

--Sherman [the tank] canner....all implements, and a tote full of salt, pickle spice, canning lids, etc. And all canning jars padded with all my towels and sox stuffed inside.

--Stock pots - I'd select the SS ones if I had no room for the enamel ones [they chip/rust].

--Two wooden box set of kitchen storage. Like the back end of a chuckwagon. Custom made for me loooong ago. Stuffed with the basics of flatwear, utensils, camping pot set, spices, etc.

--bakeware: bread pans, muffin pans, etc

--mebbe the long, fold-up table?

--Hmmm....thinking of the weight... can I afford to bring the coal/wood kitchen stove that resided in my garage? I think it would be EVER SO useful when we got there. [i can see that we won't have room to sleep in the wagon bed at this rate.

--ALL of my kitchen knives.

--I think I'll forgo the "china" that the ladies usually insisted on. Or even Correllware. I'll opt for my several pie plates, 1970's tupperware glasses [indistructable], and a couple of modern insulated hot beverage mugs. [bring Your Own Mug around the nightly campfires!] [i might try to sneak in a pair of authentic German steins for use when we're settled...and not as likely to break them.]

Added: [leave the steins...I have serious weight issues..lol ]

--trays to my dehydrator [going 'solar'] and the 2 collapsing sweater dryers for same purpose

--THE KITCHEN SINK...as promised. :curtsey: Actually a laundry sink with take-off legs. It's not heavy.

--scrubbie pads, wash cloths, scrub brushes

--Dish soap

Health/sanitation:

Bathroom---

--small pop-up tent [no floor] and bedside commode chair [use with container or without]

--unisex urinal [when ya gotta go.... ]

--Yep, gonna bring TP...unless the weight is too much, but esp. for traveling.

--lots of squares of cloth and a "diaper pail" for washable T.P.

--disinfecting wet wipes for traveling

--5 gal black collapsing shower bag with spray nozzle

--concentrated shampoo/conditioner/body wash [need only tiny bit]

--backpacking towels [very small but huge absorbency ]

Medical:

Shelter/Sleeping:

--8-person canvas tent [now or on arrival]

--several small tents [worst come to worst..one could be a goat miking shelter]

--plastic woven tarps

--cordage: ropes, twine,etc

--sleeping bags, sheets, pillow

--inflating bed/foot pump

Clothing:

Tools: [tool freak here....look out, oxen! ]

--2-way radios [yea 21st century]

--solar/wind-up radio-light

--solar battery charger

--

Lighting:

--wind-up head lamps [they are very good!]

--assorted shake lights

--all candles, wrapped in wax paper and try to keep from melting

--oil barn-type lantern

Food/water:

Water.... We have the water wagon but I'll have

--our 2 3 gallon jugs (spigots)that I can actually lift/carry for transporting from that wagon.

--Designate one 5 gal [gasket lid] to be strapped on the side for grey water use and automatic clothes washing as we jog and juggle along. :)

--Plenty of personal water bottles.

--Collapsing 5 gallon jug.

--Several (stacked together) buckets/other containers for livestock watering-5 gal to small

--Collapsible silicone round cake pan for big dog

--Camelbak-type thing

--Multiple canteens

--AND a big kettle/dipper for boiling water to purify if needed or just for hot water

--Also have Katadin Pocket Filter/refills but I'd save that if boiling was available. Water purifying tablets in EDC {every day carry} in case of crisis/lost/whatever. Coffee filters/cloth to pre-filter water. Non-disposable coffee filter from [now unusable] electric coffee maker.

Food: I wanna bring it ALL! How much does 150# of wheat weigh? :laughkick: {poor oxen} Some whole grains would be used for seed when we get there too.

--Grains: Wheat, Oat, Barley, Rice, more rice, sweet rice, white flour, popcorn, baking mix, oat bran, gluten,

--Legume: Beans, lotsa beans, yellow&green peas, alfalfa for sprouting,

--Oils: Shortening/lard, liquid oils, olive oil, salad dressing, mayo

--Sugar/honey/molasses/jams/peppermint sticks [lots]

--Salt: Iodine, non Iodine, sea salts, seasoning salts

--Powdered milk (augment goat's milk)

--Baking Cocoa powder

--Vinegar and mother of vinegars

--Baking soda, baking powder, beef gelatin,

--Fruits: dehydrating all in my fridge/freezer. Have some dehydrated apples. Raisins, Plums, dates, apricots, craisins,

--Veggies: dehydrate any in my freezer. Have done quite a bit. {NOTE TO SELF IRL: Get more carrots/onions/peas for dehydrating!} Dehydrate the "rootcellar" veggies [beets, carrots, taters, cabbage, collards (still in garden)] Instant taters..yuk.

--Packets of dry soup mixes

--Spices: These are light-weight but all those glass containers are not. Must repackage for the trip. Including bouillon.

--Meats: make jerky outta most of it in freezer. Put cured/smoked bacon/ham in bran? Meats in foil packets. Tuna in cans? Mebbe some of the home-canned meats/stews? WELL-padded? Heavy. Mebbe just pack ammo and get fresh?

--Energy bars, nuts, jams, crackers, candies, gorp, .....for eating on the trail

--Pasta, Ramen, Asian noodles (bean thread, yam thread, rice thread, etc...very light-weight and expands!), mac&cheese boxes {to augment in dire case of fatigue},

--Cereals/Crackers: Eat them while they are still good.

--Peanut butter [plastic container, not glass]

--SweetBabyRay's

--Hot cocoa mix [lots...I don't drink coffee]

--Coffee [DH does]

--Teas [herbal and caffeinated]

--Protein shake mixes [chocolate, of course]

Hunting and Gathering Food:

--Small inflatable boat, oars, life jackets, etc

--Fishing equipment

--Hunting equipment

--I.D. books for wild edible gathering

For when we arrive:

--glass oil lamps

--seeds: garden veggies, herbs,

--rootstock: rhubarb, potatoes for sets [purple and white], yarrow, gooseberry/currant,

--live potted plants: aloe, mint(s),

--more towels/bedding/cloth/

--Grma's sewing machine (old and hope someone can convert to a treadle)

gotta go milk...will continue packing later....

MtRider :bounce:

Edited by Mt_Rider

dancing.gif

Oh boy! ohboyohboy! This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen on the internet! Great idea for this forum!!!

But wait! What? No cookwagon? (Back in the old days, did a wagon train have one of those?)

If so, maybe I can get over this snakebite in time to rustle one up, if'n someone hasn't already beaten me to it.

Y'all wanna hire an authentic Creole/Cajun cook? I can cook beans just as well as a Texan, I guarantee.

And mais cher! Lookit the size of that beignet!

pancake.gif

I do Jambalaya and Gumbo pretty good too.

stirthepot.gif

Oh, I can hunt real well too. I might hafta bring my long range rifle, though. Me and this snakebitten leg won't be hauling nowhere far...

hunter.gif

:D PCS Yeah,,,,I'm so glad to see you here. Nope, most wagon trains did not have a cook wagon. Each family usually cooked for themselves but often on a communal fire. They did, however, share in the spoils of the hunt and often shared what they had with each other as a way to lighten the cooking burden. Often those who were ill or injured had help from all the rest.

I'd be glad to have you cook for us PCS but I don't want you to over do it. Still, if we do have meals together we're going to need some big big big pans. I've got a 30 inch (four or five inch deep) heavy steel fry pan, a 16 inch plain Dutch, a 14 inch footed Dutch with flanged lid, and a couple of nice deep SS turkey frying vats I'd bring along if we had a wagon designated for that heavier stuff. I've got some really big wooden bread bowls, and some nice sized SS bowls too. (Got to have biscuits, right?) Just saying,,,,if we DO :whistling:

:woohoo: PCS is going along!!!!!

:grouphug: PCS is baaaaaaack! :cele: Hey, if you want to wrangle up a wagon for fixin' meals, all right by me. Once we arrive in our new colony, we might need to do communal meals just so we can get all the work done quickly. Can we put some fold-down counter space on the sides of that wagon....a lunch counter. :feedme:

.....ahem, but....ya gotta cook an alternative to any HOT**SPICEY meals. :knary: Whew...DH and Korean DD's used to pull out "mom's portion" and then really spice the meal. :rolleyes:

Well start packing your wagon....and we'll stuff our really large-size cookware, etc in the chuckwagon.

[...pssst, Mother. Is she the one who threatens to cook things like snakes and bugs? :blink: ]

MtRider [sure hope we get some drivers for all these Special Wagons..... ]

Q peeking in here....wondering if this wagon train will have room for one more wagon with an R.N. and a gunsmith who also is what some would call a "country boy"? He can hunt, trap, fish, etc...with the best of them anywhere with just about nothing lol. And I can do a lot of the medical that comes up having worked in the ICU. Even stitches, wound cleaning, etc...

I think I need to go over the first post and see what we need for the wagon though. I know a team of oxen for it but we will need a horse for me too so I can ride over to who evers place is needing me for the medical problems. Would make it a lot easier to get to someones house on horse back once we get there than it would walking to your places! :D And there are a lot of skills we don't have such as raising livestock. So once we get there, we would rather barter services like medical for teaching how to raise goats say, instead of cash money.

So...got room for another couple in one wagon!?

Q

sounds like we are getting ready to head out?

any date yet or is it a secert to keep us on our toes?

Saw a guy hanging around the station that may be a good driver for one of the special wagons. All he wants is to "get away from here" and said he is handy doing anthing that may need to be done? I tell you this - he is a Big man so any lifting that needs to be done........ he's your man.

* sidebar - this is my 2,500 post on here ! so that gets us back to about where we were before the last crash. :cele:

Congrats on your posts AH but we CAN'T go yet. I'm NOT ready. My working list is so long that I know I'm going to have to cut it back but wanted to get a feel for what we might need once there.......Lots of things can be manufactured there though and I'm counting on you and my guys to be able to come up with all sorts of things,,,,like Kraut cutters and other useful kitchen goodies. :)

I find it interesting that our posts here are probably much like the conversations that the wagon train members would have had before it was time to leave. What are you taking, where are we headed, when will we leave? What do you think it will be like when we get there and what will we be able to manufacture or not once there? Will it be a safe place or will we have to fight the 'locals'? Most pioneer/settlers decided they would be going long ahead of time. They often had months to prepare and that long waiting time only managed to bring up ore questions. Yet, in the scheme of things, they would have needed that time to not only get things gathered together but to reassess what they were taking. Those wagons are NOT very big and the beds on them not very deep. You can only pile stuff so high before it starts to become unbalanced or difficult for the team to pull it. The more team you bring along, the more you need to care for and feed. Most families were lucky to get a couple of mules or oxen and maybe a spare or two if they were lucky.

I have taken an area in my entryway that is approximately the square footage of a wagon. It's shorter and wider but it gives me a view of the area I'd need to fill. I have been placing items there, things I felt we couldn't do without and believe me,,,It's not all going to fit and still have room for bedding above it all.

The clothing alone, that is enough sturdy clothes, winter jackets, and shoes/boots, to withstand the hardships of the new wilderness experience and last until material can be woven/manufactured (can't shear sheep just any old time) for more, will take up a fairly large space. I'm adding heavy aprons to protect some of them. I'm thinking of lightweight canvas for lining the inside of the wagon. This could be complete with pockets for storing things and could be re-purposed as heavy work clothes or jackets but I have to watch the weight on that too.

Lots to think about. Anyone have any more thoughts along this line?

Welcome certainly, Q!!!! RN & gun/country guy....very good. Valuable folks. We've been waiting for a few key folks to be able to join us... We've finally got PCS back...if still limping along. Somebody go help her lift the things into her wagon, please.

ANYONE ELSE coming along? :bounce:

Might be we set off 'pretty soon' and any others wanting to join, well, we'll be traveling right thru your region and you can hook up. AH is chomping at the bit, raring to go. They had an advantage, having thot thru this scenario a time or two and already have their wagon [and the library wagon] packed. You guys did get all my books in there too, right? The big guy for driver sounds good, AH. Especially if we have to unload the library wagon to change a wheel.

MtRider makes a note to wheedle another oxen team outta the kindly financial person for spare on that library wagon. Also a spare nice smooth-riding horse for our Quilty! How 'bout a good donkey? I've found they can be smooth...just a bit independent in thinking. LOL Hope we have lush grass and dry weather.

Hey Micheal. I have two hunks [5' long?] of iron 'I' beam. Is that the sort of thing you can work with in your blacksmithing? Some wagon train lists include ingots/bars/whatever of iron/metals. What would you need? And what exactly *would* go in a blacksmithing wagon? Have we got a driver for that one?

Quilty, have you noticed about our Special Wagons? You can pack your RN gear in with my DH's chiro/herbal stuff. That leaves more room in your wagon for your personal stuff.

OK...I *have* been packing as you can see with my edited list. Not finished.

MtRider ....packing.....poor oxen!

Yes, Mother, the discussion before leaving might save us some headache once we arrive. Two or more heads thinking on a problem are better than one.

And my poor head has been thinking I won't fit everything I'd be wanting at the end of the trail. How DID they do it with so little? :0327:

Questions: How much weight can hang and swing from the wagon cover hoops? My mom mentioned she thot they might have hung the slab of ham from there. Covered in muslin from the flies. I also read they put the bacon in bran to retard getting rancid??

Like your inner cover with pockets. I love pockets. :P Could light insulation [polyester fiberfill ...turned into quilts later] between the two layers help with heat & cold without being too much weight? Or would it make our canvas covers leak? Do we have a modern improvement on just canvas covers?? Like Goretex? :D

As for room to sleep, I'm giving up that idea altogether. I'm bringing a tent and just acquired 2 very portable cots. And there is that inflatable mattress too. A pain to set up at the end of a long day but...dog would want to be near us and....cat in her corner and...hmmm, need to figure a way to drape a WET tent over the wagon somewhere so it's dry by the next stop. Just inside the back..yet under that long overhang that the conestogas have?

I agree on the clothing. I have yet to list that...but I know we'd need plenty cuz they wear out with rough, primitive use and making new is V-E-R-Y laborious. Do we have a cobbler among us yet? I've make moccasins but...good sturdy boots require a skilled master.

Trying to edit my list tho, like Mother I'm making a BIG list and then I might try getting 'realistic'.

:laughkick: That's a funny line in a UNreality scenario, huh? I suppose I should tell you how our trip is even possible. ;) I have these "wealthy folks" who want to colonize in the far off wilderness due to today's news headlines. But they know they need to recruit a lot of folks who do things like medical, blacksmithing, animal raising, construction, hunting, gathering, cooking, and then we have education of children AND adults and ... So this is why we are "financed" with our transportation needs. These unknown "wealthy folks" have the foresight to know they need a community of skills to have any existence over "cave-dwelling" or "mountain man" style. They are attempting for at least "Little House on the Prairie" level of civilization...and maybe later "The Waltons" level. They believe that investing in hard-working, skilled people will bring good return for their money. ...as in: a fairly decent survival during real Hard Times. ;)

But we are supposed to able to take care of our own once we get there too. So back to packing my wagon...again. If I have plastic totes, bags, and buckets instead of wooden crates and barrels, WHY is my wagon so heavy already? :o If I give up any furniture, china, etc....can I bring my cookstove and portable sewing machine? I need more donkeys...a string of pack donkeys! Uh huh!

MtRider [...Mother! Are doing too much hauling your goods all over your house? Be careful. This is going to be a long trip. Is your family coming too? Your DGS would be a joy since he's studied this too. :wave: to DGS ]

My brain doesn't work well enough to join you, but I've seen a lot of Westerns in my day.

My recollection is one cot inside the wagon for the ill or very small, the others sleep under or beside it. I've also seen hammocks for infants swinging from the roof struts.

Pots and pans hanging along the outside of the wooden part under the ledge, along with axe heads etc on lines. I'm assuming tied in several places - not risking everything on one line!

Edited by Leah

You guys did get all my books in there too, right? The big guy for driver sounds good, AH. Especially if we have to unload the library wagon to change a wheel.

Hey Micheal. I have two hunks [5' long?] of iron 'I' beam. Is that the sort of thing you can work with in your blacksmithing? Some wagon train lists include ingots/bars/whatever of iron/metals. What would you need? And what exactly *would* go in a blacksmithing wagon? Have we got a driver for that one?

OK first off yes we got your books packed along with Lori's Library and a few others that people gave us for the trip. Even had some room for a few boards (used to stack books) so we can make shelves when we get there.

Now about those [5' long?] iron 'I' beams ? at first I thought that they may weigth to much to take? but then as we were packing the books the wagon started to c r e e k and make all kinds of noises? so I was thinking maybe we could tie those beams under the wagon to help support the floor? also help with the balance seeing we have boxes stacked high on the sides and more 'stuff' down the middle.

About the guy we met................

His name is Bill (and DON'T call him billy!) Armstrong. Which is funny as he is 'arm strong' as he used to work for the railroad laying ties and repairing track before the great layoff. With no Family he just wants to travel but with little money in the bank - times are hard. If you want him to drive the Library wagon or the Blacksmith wagon he's ready. Lori already has plans to help him read better so he can get a better job out west.

I have some tools, heavy apron, gloves,small billows,some scrap metal and of cause my small anvil and 3 books so I can make a forge.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Congrats on your posts AH but we CAN'T go yet.

I have taken an area in my entryway that is approximately the square footage of a wagon. It's shorter and wider but it gives me a view of the area I'd need to fill. I have been placing items there, things I felt we couldn't do without and believe me,,,It's not all going to fit and still have room for bedding above it all.

I guess we have it a bit easier then most as we ARE living that way already for the most part.

And we also have a area set aside for things like:

Our wooden ironing board ans 2 flat irons

A small wood stove and portable oven that sits on top

Hand cranked bread maker (Michael make bread in it every week)

hand crank wringer washer and wash tubs (packed now with stuff to take)

Quilts, feather pillows, blankets, sleeping mats

Lanterns, rayo lamps, solar lights (oops), lamp fluid

waterproof box matches (strike anywhere), flint stick (square of stone and flint piece?)

Things for when we get there:

Hand plow, cultivator, hoes, and pitchforks. rakes, shovels, pickax, axes & hatchets, hay rake, etc.

wheelbarrow, pails and buckets (another place to pack things and hang from the side)

*Michael's Treadle sewing machine (yes he uses it all the time)

extra bolts of fabric and all kind of stuff to make things.

3 sewing buckets ( Michael's, Lori's and one for heavy work), Knitting stuff and crochet things

all hand tools needed to cut lumber and built things with as well as hand drills, planers, chisels, basic woodworking tools,etc.

OK I will stop for now but as you can see we will be fine!

Edited by Amishway Homesteaders

Seeee...I'm getting my wagon packed so we can get on the road. PCS, Q, Mommadogs, STEPHANIE???, Arby?, who else was going? How are you all doing? Can you get any ideas from the lists that have been posted? Any questions?

Oh, and I put in a new category you might want to think about: Hunting and Gathering Food:

Ok, my list currently:

Participants: MtRider & MrMtR

Skills:

chiro/health care/herbal/acupuncture/First Aid

knowledge of horses [& donkey], goats, ducks, dogs, cats....including some vet care.

gardening experience

minor canning experience

campfire cooking experience

some wildcrafting experience

lead women's Bible study..& dh knows Greek

some hunting/fishing

some constructing of shelter/building

Added:

pretty good with short-term weather forecasting

Animals:

I'll chose an OXEN team for our wagon. Sturdy, strong, steady.....(are they as dumb as they seem?)

1 horse,

1 donkey,

------and equine tack, brushes/hoof picks, blankets, water buckets, packs & saddlebags

a dozen ducks in a cage strapped to the side of the wagon

------water dishes, buckets of feed for layers, egg cleaning "buff" glove, waterglass concentrate and bucket to preserve without refrigeration,

4 Nigerian dwarf milk goats-does [need to breed them before we leave...or Steph, is your buck a dwarf/mini??]

------5 gal bucket with birthing supplies, picnic basket with normal milking equipment, minerals, some grain/alfalfa for milkers, hoof trimmers, MILKING STAND....Or at least the head stanchion. :shrug:

guardian BIG DOG

-------Dog's BOB, harness, collar, lead rope, chews, bed cover (can be stuffed with dried grass for her to sleep on), small, waterproof tent....in case of rain and the already-wet dog is NOT sleeping in our tent! :o

cat has to come for rodent control when we get there

-------Cat's BOB and carrier, food, dishes, string toy,......and earplugs cuz she'll be howling her unhappiness the whole way. :rolleyes: I use a halter-type [not neck collar] and leash. More secure for slippery cats. Also have a small, pop-up, net tunnel thing for her to stretch her legs but would need watching.

Kitchen:

--Lots of cast iron...but I don't have any larger fire pit dutch ovens for the communal kitchen. Fry pans to share tho.

--Family [manual] grain grinder...with 4 attatchments: grinder, veggie slicer/dicer, meat grinder, grain cereal flaker.

--Backup grinder

--Apple peelers

--Food mill

--Sauerkraut bucket/pounder/net cover

--Sherman [the tank] canner....all implements, and a tote full of salt, pickle spice, canning lids, etc. And all canning jars padded with all my towels and sox stuffed inside.

--Stock pots - I'd select the SS ones if I had no room for the enamel ones [they chip/rust].

--Two wooden box set of kitchen storage. Like the back end of a chuckwagon. Custom made for me loooong ago. Stuffed with the basics of flatwear, utensils, camping pot set, spices, etc.

--bakeware: bread pans, muffin pans, etc

--mebbe the long, fold-up table?

--Hmmm....thinking of the weight... can I afford to bring the coal/wood kitchen stove that resided in my garage? I think it would be EVER SO useful when we got there. [i can see that we won't have room to sleep in the wagon bed at this rate.

--ALL of my kitchen knives.

--I think I'll forgo the "china" that the ladies usually insisted on. Or even Correllware. I'll opt for my several pie plates, 1970's tupperware glasses [indistructable], and a couple of modern insulated hot beverage mugs. [bring Your Own Mug around the nightly campfires!]

--trays to my dehydrator [going 'solar'] and the 2 collapsing sweater dryers for same purpose

--THE KITCHEN SINK...as promised. :curtsey: Actually a laundry sink with take-off legs. It's not heavy.

--scrubbie pads, wash cloths, scrub brushes

--Dish soap

Added:

--3 long bars of rebar affixed together at one end for a cooking tripod with chain & hook for stew pot

--All my various grills from BBQ's

--plastic sheets for cutting boards

Health/sanitation:

Bathroom---

--small pop-up tent [no floor] and bedside commode chair [use with container or without]

--unisex urinal [when ya gotta go.... ]

--Yep, gonna bring TP...unless the weight is too much, but esp. for traveling.

--lots of squares of cloth and a "diaper pail" for washable T.P.

--disinfecting wet wipes for traveling

--5 gal black collapsing shower bag with spray nozzle

--concentrated shampoo/conditioner/body wash [need only tiny bit]

--backpacking towels [very small but huge absorbency ]

General---

Medical:

Medical things going into the Medical Special Wagon

--Assorted reference books for human and critter medical care [herbal, nutritional, old tyme and modern]...this is like a second library wagon! DH has LOTS of reference books.

--Two 5 gal buckets with ANIMAL First Aid supplies

--Paramedics box with basic 1st Aid stuff

--Big RED TOTE with re-supply for those other kits AND

------also contains lots of braces [knees, back, wrist, etc], and wraps, etc.

--pair of forearm crutches

--pair of regular adjustable crutches

Personal Use in our wagon:

--Our cloth satchel with all the herb pills/teas...plus gathering up nutritional supplements too. [behind the seat of wagon]

--Two RED BAGS with basic First AID equipment [one located in the saddle bags of our horse, the other packed just behind the front seat of our wagon]

--assorted canes for my use but can be borrowed [lotsa extra cane tips]

--light wheelchair

--oh-oh......I need to bring my disability 4 wheeled scooter with a solar charger for the battery.....How am I gonna do that? CAN I do that? May have to sell it and buy another donkey/cart?.... :shrug:

--

Shelter/Sleeping:

--8-person canvas tent [now or on arrival]

--several small tents [worst come to worst..one could be a goat miking shelter]

--plastic woven tarps/clear plastic sheets

--cordage: ropes, twine,etc

--bug screening material [one set fitted for each end of the wagon]

--bug screen drape for sleeping under or eating under

--sleeping bags, sheets, pillow

--inflating bed/foot pump

Clothing:

Tools: [tool freak here....look out, oxen! ]

21st Century stuff:

--2-way radios [yea 21st century]

--solar/wind-up radio-light

--solar battery charger

--Weather Forecasting: Hi/Lo registering thermometer, rain gauge, altimeter used as barometer [high altitude thing], 2 barometers, reference books, Binder for recording daily weather data.

--small megaphone [for making announcements] run on solar-rechargeable batteries

Hand tools:

Hammers, sledge, etc , drill brace/bits, planes, chisels, screw drivers,

Lotsa nails, staples, screws, rivets, etc

Different saws...wood, ripping, fine tooth, miter, logs, hack saw,

Ax, hatchet, ALL hunting/utility knives,

Long handled:

Hoes, rakes, shovels, spades, gardening fork, manure rake,

Love to bring wheel barrow(s) but mebbe just the wheel assembly & we'll build a wooden one when we arrive?

Child's plastic toboggans-- for hauling/dragging loads. [i can mount them from the wagon hoops cuz very light.]

Lighting:

--wind-up head lamps [they are very good!]

--assorted shake lights

--all candles, wrapped in wax paper and try to keep from melting

--oil barn-type lantern

Food/water:

Water.... We have the water wagon but I'll have

--our 2 3 gallon jugs (spigots)that I can actually lift/carry for transporting from that wagon.

--Designate one 5 gal [gasket lid] to be strapped on the side for grey water use and automatic clothes washing as we jog and juggle along. :)

--Plenty of personal water bottles.

--Collapsing 5 gallon jug.

--Several (stacked together) buckets/other containers for livestock watering-5 gal to small

--Collapsible silicone round cake pan for big dog

--Camelbak-type thing

--Multiple canteens

--AND a big kettle/dipper for boiling water to purify if needed or just for hot water

--Also have Katadin Pocket Filter/refills but I'd save that if boiling was available. Water purifying tablets in EDC {every day carry} in case of crisis/lost/whatever. Coffee filters/cloth to pre-filter water. Non-disposable coffee filter from [now unusable] electric coffee maker.

Food: I wanna bring it ALL! How much does 150# of wheat weigh? :laughkick: {poor oxen} Some whole grains would be used for seed when we get there too.

--Grains: Wheat, Oat, Barley, Rice, more rice, sweet rice, white flour, popcorn, baking mix, oat bran, gluten,

--Legume: Beans, lotsa beans, yellow&green peas, alfalfa for sprouting,

--Oils: Shortening/lard, liquid oils, olive oil, salad dressing, mayo

--Sugar/honey/molasses/jams/peppermint sticks [lots]

--Salt: Iodine, non Iodine, sea salts, seasoning salts

--Powdered milk (augment goat's milk)

--Baking Cocoa powder

--Vinegar and mother of vinegars

--Baking soda, baking powder, beef gelatin,

--Fruits: dehydrating all in my fridge/freezer. Have some dehydrated apples. Raisins, Plums, dates, apricots, craisins,

--Veggies: dehydrate any in my freezer. Have done quite a bit. {NOTE TO SELF IRL: Get more carrots/onions/peas for dehydrating!} Dehydrate the "rootcellar" veggies [beets, carrots, taters, cabbage, collards (still in garden)] Instant taters..yuk.

--Packets of dry soup mixes

--Spices: These are light-weight but all those glass containers are not. Must repackage for the trip. Including bouillon.

--Meats: make jerky outta most of it in freezer. Put cured/smoked bacon/ham in bran? Meats in foil packets. Tuna in cans? Mebbe some of the home-canned meats/stews? WELL-padded? Heavy. Mebbe just pack ammo and get fresh?

--Energy bars, nuts, jams, crackers, candies, gorp, .....for eating on the trail

--Pasta, Ramen, Asian noodles (bean thread, yam thread, rice thread, etc...very light-weight and expands!), mac&cheese boxes {to augment in dire case of fatigue},

--Cereals/Crackers: Eat them while they are still good.

--Peanut butter [plastic container, not glass]

--SweetBabyRay's

--Hot cocoa mix [lots...I don't drink coffee]

--Coffee [DH does]

--Teas [herbal and caffeinated]

--Protein shake mixes [chocolate, of course]

Hunting and Gathering Food:

--Small inflatable boat, oars, life jackets, etc

--Fishing equipment

--Hunting/defensive equipment

--I.D. books for wild edible gathering

For when we arrive:

--glass oil lamps

--seeds: garden veggies, herbs,

--rootstock: rhubarb, potatoes for sets [purple and white], yarrow, gooseberry/currant,

--live potted plants: aloe, mint(s),

--more towels/bedding/cloth/

--Grma's sewing machine (old and hope someone can convert to a treadle)

---MOUSE TRAPS & RAT-SIZED TRAPS {also moles, chippys, etc} :yuk:

MtRider [the laptop is getting hot...gotta give it and me a rest now.... ]

Edited by Mt_Rider
add mouse/rat traps

OK so here we go.....................

let see now -

• People: Michael and Lori
  • Skills: ......... Lori works at Library and loves reading and can cook. Some sewing and gardening skills as well.

Michael ….. well lets see? what can't he do? Good with hands, loves working outdoors, Homestead Gardening (all hand tools and home made supports, fences, garden Benches, things like that) and Homesteading anything to do with Homesteading.

• Animals and supplies: ........... 2 big ox plus 1 spare yearling, riding horse (Michael rides –Lori don't), all the harnesses and hardware needed (Michael can and has fixed before), 4 chicken, 2 cats (please), 1 cow (just freshened), 2 goats

• Kitchen: ..... Small wood stove and portable oven that sits on top, the right kind of pots and pans as well as all the spoons, flippers, cooking thingies.

Hand cranked bread maker (Michael make bread in it every week)

Everything we will need to cook and prepare food we have and use on a daily bases- most of the stuff in our Kitchen is non- electric : coffee pot, coffee grinder, can opener, cooker, bread machine, etc. Have a oldtime colman Kitchen- big wooden box that has a dropdown front and lots of space inside for all your camping cook stuff (like a little chuck wagon)

• Health/sanitation..... For the most part we are Health and don't take any pills other then vitamins

WELL Lori said she is TAKING her 'chamber chair' (yes we have used it before) we also have chamber pots (2) and Michael has a glass urineal. Homemade soap and Lots of T paper (will use it for packing material on the way.

• Medical... we will do OK as we never go to Doctors for just a cold or things like that. Have a few supplies like ace bandages, creams for burns, well a first aid full of stuff too.
  • Shelter.... Quilts, feather pillows, blankets, sleeping mats. Big 2 room tent for when we first get there with all the supplies needs to set up camp (table, chairs, cookstove, solor lights, extra tarps, etc. Lots of rope, and extra poles (PVC) just in case)
  • Clothing..... We will have all our 'pioneer clothes' and Michael can sew anything we need when we get there. We wear nothing 'fancy' now just simple dresswear – so nothing to give up?

hand crank wringer washer and wash tubs (packed now with stuff to take)

Our wooden ironing board and 2 flat irons

*Michael's Treadle sewing machine (yes he uses it all the time)

extra bolts of fabric and all kind of stuff to make things

3 sewing buckets ( Michael's, Lori's and one for heavy work), Knitting stuff and crochet things

[/size]
  • Tools... all hand tools needed to cut lumber and built things with as well as hand drills, planers, chisels, basic woodworking tools, etc. Michael like to use hand tools even when building things at home most of the time.

• Lighting.... Lanterns, rayo lamps, solar lights (oops), lamp fluid

waterproof box matches (strike anywhere), flint stick (square of stone and flint piece?)

• Food/water...... the right kind of pots and pans as well as all the spoons, flippers, cooking thingies. food wish we are set with both dried, bulk and canned food. Pluse all the basics - flour, sugar, salt and all the pails to keep them safe on the trip.

• For when we arrive......(like seeds, plow,) Hand plow, cultivator, hoes, and pitchforks. rakes, shovels, pickax, axes & hatchets, hay rake, etc. wheelbarrow, pails and buckets (another place to pack things and hang from the side)

Edited by Amishway Homesteaders

I did a 6 hour trip today and thought of many things.... your lists have also reinforced my need to make sure I have things ready. Time to go sell some stuff that I wouldn't be able to bring for a few things I still need.

I'm here!!! but kind on the sidelines watching the flurry of activity, I think I'm mesmerized by it all. :wacko:

I'm not up to making a full sized list (too many real life requirements right now), but I'm enjoying reading the ones that y'all have created. I did have a couple of thoughts that I don't THINK anyone has mentioned.

I'm going to add leather needles and canvas needles to the collection, as well as a leather punching kit. This can make life much easier when we start to make moccasins and use the leather that we will eventually have. Something like this.

http://www.corpsrediscovery.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=LTHR

Along the line of the library wagon, I began to think of the educational needs of the children...my children in particular :) The library will provide excellent resources, but I'm thinking of paper (which would be a precious commodity) and pencils/crayons/chalks and chalkboards. I'd probably want a kit along this line for each child...plus a few extra.

http://www.corpsrediscovery.com/Merchant2/...de=cnp-projkits

Did anyone mention patterns?? for sewing? for moccasins? What about our stashes of thread and material? I'm understanding now a bit better how precious a soft piece of calico must have been to those ladies long ago.

but I'm thinking of paper (which would be a precious commodity) and pencils/crayons/chalks and chalkboards. I'd probably want a kit along this line for each child...plus a few extra.

I've got some of that covered, a couple reams of paper, drawing paper, pastel & charcoal pads, 3-4 manilla paper rolls, a mega collection of pastels with a couple boxes of standard chalk, a 6"W x 12"L x 6"H container full of pencils, pens, erasers, and a large box of crayons. (Wondering if I could squeeze in some of my oil, acrylic & water paints? Drat...more weight.... back to my packing list...)

if you have a large family and you have more than one adult male (old west standard) then each male could have a wagon. today's standard might be every fully capable adult.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor