Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
furbabymom

Darn it all - left the yogurt out!

10 posts in this topic

I made a quart of organic whole-milk yogurt overnight, and then got busy this morning, never heard the yogurt maker beep, and forgot all about it. Eight hours later, I just remembered it. So it's been sitting on the counter all day, yogurt maker turned off. I don't suppose it's safe for cooking? Makes me cringe to throw all that good expensive milk down the drain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you dont feel comfortable using it, [ you didnt say how warm your kitchen is] do you have animals? The dog, cat, chickens would all enjoy a moderate amount once a day until used up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you dont feel comfortable using it, [ you didnt say how warm your kitchen is] do you have animals? The dog, cat, chickens would all enjoy a moderate amount once a day until used up.

 

The house was probably about 70 degrees, so I don't know how that affects things. You're right - the dogs would probably love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, no it is not safe. It can make you sick. Do you know that in that time frame the bacteria count, and I mean bad bacteria, will be sky high.

If you want to risk vomiting, diahrrea, then eat it. If not, dump it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry but I agree - it might NOT be safe to eat - - and do you want to take the chance that it MIGHT be OK?

 

I always write the time I started things and the time they should be done on a small blackboard I have in the kitchen. Just in case I don't hear the timer, also I can look and see just how much more time I have to do chores or gardening before I have to be back in the kitchen to finish.

Things like:

in oven -> 7:30

put -> 8:45

is all I need to know but sometimes:

In -> 2 pm

turn -> 3 pm

out -> 4:30

It work well for me.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just cannot agree that it is unsafe. If it is unsafe for sitting out 8 hrs at room temp, then it is unsafe for it to be incubated in the yogurt maker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sorry but I agree - it might NOT be safe to eat - - and do you want to take the chance that it MIGHT be OK?

 

I always write the time I started things and the time they should be done on a small blackboard I have in the kitchen. Just in case I don't hear the timer, also I can look and see just how much more time I have to do chores or gardening before I have to be back in the kitchen to finish.

Things like:

in oven -> 7:30

put -> 8:45

is all I need to know but sometimes:

In -> 2 pm

turn -> 3 pm

out -> 4:30

It work well for me.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

 

I threw it out last night. Normally, it's not a problem, my yogurt maker beeps several times before it finishes so I know it's coming. But, I was trying to get myself together to get out the door yesterday morning and it got lost in the shuffle. I looked at it when it still had half an hour to go - I should have just pulled it out at that point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad you tossed it. Getting food poisoning is not worth a bit of food thrown out.

 

The difference is that at first you have healthy bacteria being produced. Then, as it sits at room temp. then spoilage bacteria will start growing. Would you normally take already made yogurt, then sit out on the counter for 8 hours and eat it ?

You should see the astronomical rate in which food spoilage bacteria grows at room temperatures.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am glad you tossed it. Getting food poisoning is not worth a bit of food thrown out.

 

The difference is that at first you have healthy bacteria being produced. Then, as it sits at room temp. then spoilage bacteria will start growing. Would you normally take already made yogurt, then sit out on the counter for 8 hours and eat it ?

You should see the astronomical rate in which food spoilage bacteria grows at room temperatures.

 

My husband has done that before. I gagged just watching him. Good point. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0