MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

Mice hate peppermint?

I have tried the peppermint and am now trying Moth Balls! I heard that rodents don't like that smell and have a problem with the chipmunks tearing off my dryer vent (its a plastic cover that I need to duct tape on) and when they get in there it sounds like they are coming in my register vents! Its beside it,cannot imagine having one come in the house! So I went around the outside of the house and put a few moth balls wherever I thought they could get in -haven't heard him since,then I sprinkled some around in the garage where we've had mice coming in.Have traps out there also and haven't caught any,so hopefully its working!

Annarchy   

You all probably know most of this;

http://www.pestdetour.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1330&idcategory=159

http://www.ecologycenter.org/factsheets/rodent_control.html

Rodents are fairly smart and are suspicious of new objects, so place traps with bait but unset for a few days to get rodents used to them. Once they take the bait, set the trap.

My MIL uses Mothballs all the time, diligently replacing them as they deteriorate. Though her neighborhood fights with squirrel control, she has never had a problem with them. It takes a week after I get home to finally get rid of the smell. LOL

Wiki - Mothballs

In addition to repelling insects such as moths and silverfish, mothballs are used as a stovepipe cleaner, snake repellent, and to keep away mice or other pests.[2] Mothballs have also been used by some campers to keep bears away from their food or even their entire campsite.[citation needed]

The main concern about the use of mothballs as a snake, mouse, or animal repellent is their easy access to children, pets, and beneficial animals. Leaving them in a garden or in a living space unprotected makes it very easy for unintended victims such as children and pets to gain access to them. Mothballs are highly toxic when ingested, causing serious illness or death. In addition to this, using a very large quantity of mothballs in a basement or a living space may cause serious respiratory problems in people living in the space.[3]

It has also been suggested that the toxic chemical in mothballs will bond to garden soil, causing damage to it.[citation needed] Research has shown that a weak bond can occur, but naturally occurring soil microbes will break down the toxic component of mothballs over extended periods of time.[citation needed] In addition to this, the toxic effects of mothballs may also kill beneficial soil insects while it is present in soil.[4]

Or:

http://www.ratzapper.com/ :ph34r:

Edited by Annarchy

Jeepers   

I've never has a mouse in the house.

Of course having said that I'll probably have an infestation now.

When we first moved here we (meaning D-ex) set out mouse traps in the garage just in case there were some here. He tied the traps, to the wooden shelves in the garage, by a piece of string. That way if a mouse got in the trap it wouldn't drag it away. Can't say if it worked or not. The one time we wanted to catch one, none showed up.

If I found a snake in the house...I don't know what I'd do. Probably call the fire department. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Now centipedes are another story.

I got em and I hate em. Hate, Hate Hate em!

The only good thing about them is they are more afraid of me than I am of them. :animal0017:

And if you spray them with raid, it kills them instantly and all their legs fall off. Ugh.

Mt_Rider   

One idea about mothballs - instead of just sprinkling them on the ground, you can put them into a net bag (saved from onions or other store-bought veggies) and hang them in appropriate places.

:lol: My folks have a fox that has taken to walking across their deck. So I plucked some of BigDog's shedding hair and put that in two net bags. They've tied those at the steps/gates of their deck. No word yet on the fox-deterrent affects. :shrug: I do know that coyotes don't like wolf scent so I've used wolf hair around my duck yard fencing. [from a wolf rescue place nearby.]

HEY.... :bounce: My cat is shedding too. Mebbe I should bag up some of her hair and put it around? ..... <_< well, mebbe not since her hair is ALLLLL over the upstairs already and the dumb mice are here. :yar: Back to the 'ole drawing board.

MtRider :shrug:

Cat   

gaah.gif

Hubby fed the fish this morning before 9 AM. This afternoon I went in the same basement door to feed the fish, too, and nestled in the little container of fish food was a dead MOUSE! gaah.gif

gaah.gif

Hubby fed the fish this morning before 9 AM. This afternoon I went in the same basement door to feed the fish, too, and nestled in the little container of fish food was a dead MOUSE! gaah.gif

Oh, no! But better dead that alive, right? (They scare me even dead in the trap, though) :behindsofa:

gaah.gif

My cat has been having a ball in the garage. We can't let her out anymore so we let her hunt in there. She'll walk up proudly with her prize, set it down at my feet, and then proceed to use the mouse as a living soccer ball. Okay, I understand the cat is just following her instincts to hunt... I'm okay with that. The playing with her food routine and prolonging the inevitable, not so great. The SQUEAKING...

And then she leaves them in out of the way, forgotten corners. I find them by smell. Maybe my cat was English in a previous life and this is just her version of hanging a pheasant to age properly. She sees me grab them and meows at me with an indignant tone. "Get your own, that's mine!"

Annarchy   

DH was channel surfing and came across the 'call of the wild man'(?) He went out and pulled fresh wild mint and said the mice and rats hate it.

Mt_Rider   

Well peppermint oil [the real stuff, not immitation] failed at my house. But perhaps fresh mint plants????

MtRider [....Hmmmm?....]

Well, now I'm trying the peppermint oil- the kitchen and garage now smell minty fresh. My cat has been catching mice regularly but I keep finding "evidence" of more. And my cat keeps watching/reaching under the stove. I will say though that when she catches one she has excellent control of the "ball." Just don't stand close, she lobs 'em high. :yuk:

I'll have to clean out the pantry and see if any of them sneak under the door. I have no problem with mice themselves, they are welcome to hang out around OUTSIDE all they like. I'll even look the other way in the garage provided nothing's chewed. But when I find "leavings" on my kitchen counter and stove...no more Mrs. Nice Human.

gaah.gif

I'm sorry...but that's just funny! Maybe the cat was suggesting a particular appetizer/entree pairing? When I step out of the bedroom I look down before I step!

Also, a slightly outside-the-box suggestion on taking the mouse away. DH thought to use the cheap annoying pair of salad tongs we had but never used. Perfect size for picking them up (and holding them if they're still moving).

dogmom4   

Ummmm...my rats....they walk right past the large, fresh peppermint plant to eat my Roma tomatoes...every night for the past 5 days. I did set out a trap and have killed 3 so far. Someone needs to tell them they're not supposed to like peppermint. :shakinghead:

Cat   

A couple of days ago I went downstairs to throw clothes in the washer and surprised another mouse. Out in the open, looking at me like "What the heck are YOU doing here?" :mad:

It was right after DH had sprayed the outside foundation with peppermint oil, and secured the places under the siding where it looked like they could get in. And tacked a metal lid over a hole. Probably securing them *IN*. <_<

My pot of cactus by the downstairs window was tunneled into like it has condos. I secured it inside a tote and carried it outside.

So I set traps. So far I've caught 5 in two days. trappersmiley.gif

They haven't ventured upstairs yet, so I'm hoping we can get them before they multiply. :tapfoot:

gofish   

We trapped 12 and the cat did 1 in.

I haven't seen one in over a week and there are none in the traps so I'm hoping we got them.

Cat   

I hope you did! :cheer:

I will just have to be vigilant for another while. *SIGH*

:bighug2:

We seal all holes around the house and garage with steel wool. Especially around the garage doors. It really helps keep them out. I also planted mint around the garage. We are also lucky to have a good little "mouser" living with us.

Guest kaylynn   
Guest kaylynn

I have a brown mouse in my bedroom it just appeared two days ago... I need help to get rid of this critter.... I am up to any suggestions....

Mt_Rider   

I got INVADED again about 3 wks ago.  So far....17 yr old cat got one.  The Bucket of Death got two. 

By my calculations, I'm guessing that leaves 3, 598 mice left in basement and in my lower kitchen cupboards.

I might try a grenade next......  :banghead:    :baseballbat:    :darthduck:

MtRider  .......I cannot even describe the revulsion and frustration of dealing with this filth all the time.  :motz_6:

We had them when we were out in the country.  So far, none here in town.  We had to use poison but only in the closed bottom cupboards because of the dogs.

Mt_Rider   

That's something I haven't tried, WE2.  ANYTHING is worth a try!  Thanks..

MtRider ....I even have a couple bars...somewhere.  :thumbs:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.