Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

2,286 posts in this topic

Way to go Mi_familia!!!

I learned to drive on an old dirt road too. So did my son. A couple of my cousins learned in a 'forty acre field' literally. Remember, everyone starts somewhere. None of us are born driving.

I didn't get my license until I was around 30. I never needed them (I thought) until then. After I got them I got a job and never looked back. I was very lucky my DS, DH or I never had an emergency during that time. Actually, I could drive but I didn't have a license and we only had one car anyway.

Now I always say my most valuable possession is my drivers license. FREEDOM!

Congrats mi familia!

Bought a 50 lb. bag of rice and got that in the freezer. It was under $18. Anyone know what the US rice crop is going to be like?

Bought some hand soap, tissues and laundry detergent at Big Lots (20% off sale).

I'm not adding much to this thread lately. The budget hasn't been allowing for it!

Oh, while I know DH and I like beets :feedme: , also discovered that chipmunks also like beets. :blink: Like them alot, in fact. :tapfoot: As in they helped themselves to all the beets in our garden. :gaah: Not really a prep thing, but something learned.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

California rice is just fine. Not sure about other states.

Having a war with chipmunks this year too. :motz_6: And we like beets too. Also we WOULD have loved the lettuce...twice!

MtRider [thinking of prepping with a little BB gun target practice! ]

I had a big huge chipmunk problem in Colorado. Then a neighbor stopped by with a litter of weaned kittens. Said their mama had been teaching them to hunt and she thought I needed a couple. I said "thank you, I'll take those two black boys". They really cleaned up the chipmunk (and mouse) problem.

Wish I still had ole 'M'. Main Coon feral cat we tamed. Whooooeeee, a beauty and just wonderful. He certainly kept rodents down. Mebbe since we now have no dog to run off an outside cat..... But how do you train a cat to survive 'lions and tigers and bears'....and coyotes....and foxes....and durned-ole-dogs.....and....

MtRider [...so many changes at our farm :( ]

Ordered a book with lots of pix and descriptions on identifying mushrooms. Also ordered 50# of maltodextrin to use in thickening things that are sweet but I don't want to cook. I use arrowroot for things that are cooked that need thickening.

I just picked up 6lbs of butter to put in the freezer and 10 - 3qt jugs of water that were on sale. Also got a couple gals of vinegar, 2-cornstarch, and 2-baking soda. DH is gonna pick up 50lbs of white rice from the asian market during his lunch. Now that I think about it, I should have gotten more ziplock baggies! That or a couple 5 gal buckets.

Evidently there is more of a paperchase needed for medical and dental stuff , so doing that today and will have to reschedule dental appt.

Getting other things in kitchen and living room a little better in shape as I go along , timing things.....

need to go to store... maybe add a few things useful for all day GHB and eats during the day while in Albany tomorrow. VA trip. VAMC also added at least 3 more appts there in clinics and have additional also requested in August already..... so paper chases, phone calls to verify stuff..... trying to gather other papers...... such fun.

Some of this stuff just boggles my mind sometimes.......

Can I say I really dislike snotty greedy idjits too? Is that allowed? And I'm on my best behavior, I swear!!!!!!! :cheeky-smiley-067:

( Most have been very nice, people I have to arrange things with , but yikes, there is always at least one :animal0017:)

I really had to bite my toungue at one point and just try to shine it on. ...just go do what I need to do and shine it on...... :mornincoffee:

Edited by arby

Ordered 100 capsules of 250mg Fish Amoxicillin, Saiga AK should arrive Friday, snap Caps for my Ruger LCP, dehydrated 3 heads of cabbage and 2 butternut squash. Reorganized and moaned and groaned over my food pantry...;)

Emptied/Inventoried my Get Home Bags and replaced some key items that I had given to my mom when we worked on her GHB, such as a Water Straw and Bladder Bag.

Made more Prep "dream lists" with the Husband!

Picked up heirloom seeds to store.

Haven't been on in such a long time...but have accomplished so much trying to get our bills paid off and working the garden all summer and canning and freezing everything we could. Now getting ready to do a small garden for the fall.

End of last year we paid my car off, our 1st real big accomplishment! Then;

My husband's job sold out after the New Year and we were able to take out half our retirement and start an IRA with other half and plus resatart new 401K with new job and the other half of the money we paid:

Truck off,4 different gas bills, Dell credit card with our computers and tv's on it, an $8,000.00 credit card, and tripled my house note (with 5 acres it sets on) every month and now will have it paid and land out from under the mortgage company by Aug or Sept.

Planning on having the other 5 or 6 credit cards paid off before end of this year if possible. Hopefully 1 each month, maybe 2 a month if I do 2 small ones at a time. Then will start trying to pay 5 to 6 times my monthly note on my house trailer and 2 acres each month and same with the camper note each month and have the 2 largest bills paid off by end of 2013. This is my prayer every day that God sees me through. Giving Him all the Glory for His help all this year and next.

Now in the process of letting my sister buy an acre with an old house on it and that will help us finish up some of the bills and store up some much needed stuff, plus she'll have her own land to grow a garden and help herself. God is Good!

VERY impressive, Jasminegirl. You've really dedicated energy and resources to getting out of debt.

MtRider :thumbs:

Congratulations, Jasmine! The feeling of relief of getting debt paid off is priceless!

I bought a pair of pinking shears at a yard sale today for $1. They're old and very heavy duty feeling. They're used, but look to be in good condition. They were even in the original box! So I bought them. When we got to the car, DH asked me what they were used for. I told him that I didn't know :24: but they were old, in good shape and made in the US. And that I bet you can't go and find a pair still made in the US for $1. :24: We've been amused by this all afternoon.

:lol: Yep, a real bargain! Use? :shrug: Unknown. :lol:

If I recall correctly, cutting out fabric with 'pinking shears' will mean it ravels less on the edges.

My prep for the week? -- Making priceless memories with family. :wub: In several of the scenarios of HooeyHitsFan, it might be impossible for us to reunite. It makes this time all the more poignant.

MtRider

Edited by Mt_Rider

I use pinking shears for cutting rags, as it slows them down on unraveling. They are great for seams when sewing, too, especially if you don't have a serger.

Congrats Jasmine on clearing out all that debt! I am sure it's already a great load off your shoulders! :cheer:

Great job Jasmine.

We've been debt free for over 20 years. It's a wonderful feeling not having bills hanging over our heads anymore and I hope to be able to keep it that way.

Keep up the good work. :eclipsee_Victoria:

Great job Jasmine.

We've been debt free for over 20 years. It's a wonderful feeling not having bills hanging over our heads anymore and I hope to be able to keep it that way.

Keep up the good work. :eclipsee_Victoria:

Thanks, I am constantly trying to figure out which ones to pay off each month...so much stress has been lifted with the ones we have paid off, Our truck note was $668.00 a month and we paid $17,000 to get that thing paid off! We can breathe so much better now. :cheer:

I've had a very busy week this week:

On Monday Dad was taken into hospital for another stay - a suspected mini stroke - so his going to be in there for a while. The hardest part is my numpty brothers are so ruddy unco-operatirve expecting me to do everything. They even argue about taking a bag of clothes/food etc to him. It's not like they do anything any other time. Hopefully one of them will sort it out soon.:beat_deadhorse::baseballbat: I can't do it due to health problems or it would be yet ANOTHER job for me to do.

I've taken the time to have a good rest. I do my chores in the morning and then relax in the afternoon . I feel a lot better and I'm coming to the end of my 3rd course of antibiotics as well so I needed a good rest, thats without the usual fatigue I get with my Leaky Gut syndrome etc.:clothesline::behindsofa:

Looked more into decluttering and organisation. I love Julie Morgensterns work, so I've re-read her SHED book and watched videos. I'm almost there in making a committed decision, I need to work out the correct wording as that is sooooo important. I'm currently working on the criteria for keep 'treasures' for each section I intend to go through and then just wait until the time is right. I would love to get it done before Dad comes out of hospital when ever that will be.

The weather here is turning very hot, so my shorts are at last getting used, but I'm still having to get up at the crack of dawn to take the dog out before it gets too hot. Its going to be up in the 30s on Wednesday - I hate the heat! :knary::bev:

Edited by Purdy Bear

Purdy, I hope your dad is doing better!

:lol: Yep, a real bargain! Use? :shrug: Unknown. :lol:

If I recall correctly, cutting out fabric with 'pinking shears' will mean it ravels less on the edges.

MtRider

I use pinking shears for cutting rags, as it slows them down on unraveling. They are great for seams when sewing, too, especially if you don't have a serger.

Thanks! I looked them up when I got home. I figured they were something to do with sewing. They were next to books about quilting. I bought 4 books on quilting for a total of $1.50. Once my hands heal up, I'd like to learn to sew. I figured the books are like the pinking shears--no way I'm going to find them that cheap anywhere else. And of course, it feeds my book addiction. :laughkick: (It was a long week. We needed something to laugh about)

Purdy Bear - I know what ya mean about the heat! We just got out of a massive record setting heat wave a couple weeks ago. Temps are supposed to be back in the 100'sF starting Monday...<_<

This week I picked up another 80lbs of layer feed an 80lbs of whole corn to put away for the chickens before feed prices really start to rise. It's been so frustrating to spend that much on chicken feed a week, but I know I'll be glad I did when the prices rise. Currently I have about 3 mo worth of feed for them. I'll probably stop getting the layer feed and just put away corn, since I don't want the feed to spoil. The corn will keep longer.

Right now I'm looking at different strainers so I can make tomato sauce for the first time :feedme:.

dehydrated a head of cabbage that we grew in our first ever garden and alos dehydrated 3 lbs of carrots. Cooked all our meals from food storage this week or the from the garden. Started master inventory with DH of food storage. Husband canned up 8 quarts of soup and 9 pints of zucchini pickles. I found deals on some homeschooling books several years ahead of where my girls are at and I made arrangements to renew my first aide/cpr (Nurse). I also got leads on a job. I need to work a certain amount of hours to maintain my certifications. Any money I make after childcare will go towards prepping.

My order from the feed store came yesterday (thursday) and the 50# bags of corn had gone up 50cents since I ordered on saturday. Now I have to get all 60 bags emptied into barrels to keep the varmints and chickens from tearing into them and helping themselves. This has to last a long time.

Rethinking our defensive strategies [lions and FIRES....and bears, oh MY!] now that BigDog is gone. So odd to remember my backup is not there and, until she's replaced, it'S just ME looking up into the hills for danger. I tried to keep my edge and do that myself but....I DID rely on the dog more. She had a higher degree in that skill set. :( I miss her nose!

Now that the wonderful family visit is passed, I'm back at the reorganization effort.....or will be once I'm back on my feet. Wiped-out tired [but :wub: gladly so] from the visit but also....caught DD1's flu bug. Definitely NOT glad about that! :fever: Relapsing/Remitting kind.... tricky thing that lets you think you've passed the worst and then Wham! :faint3: This too shall pass....

But it pointed out AGAIN, that we need to stock homeopathic Oscillococcinum [aka: flu remedy], 7-Up, non-chicken noodles/broth, crackers, etc. All of those [except the flu remedy?] have expiration dates...get nasty stale or rank. Cuz we don't often get 'microbe-type' sick. Sometimes years pass between bouts. So now we've got more flu remedy but haven't stocked much 7-UP cuz we don't use it. Trying to think of long-term storing alternative to the fizzy drink.

MtRider :pc_coffee: