Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pixie

what home made gifts are you making?

35 posts in this topic

so far i am making scarves and mittens with yarn i picjked up at various garage sales over the summer. I need a few more budget friendly ideas!

What are you making?

Well!

If I told you what was in the works then a certain somebody, who name starts with LO and ends in RI would see and THAT ain't gonna happen! LOL

:AmishMichael2:

Edited by Amishway Homesteaders

I am making chocolate covered coffee beans,then put them in baggies inside of coffee mugs. I also want to make brownie mixes, etc., and put them in jars. I really need to get started on these projects, Christmas will be here before we know it!

That sounds really good Nicole.

Trivets and dishcloths I think will be what I may be able to manage. You can make dishcloths with acrylic ( sport yarn) in fact as it works well on pans but wont damage them and they do not retain as much bacteria and tend to not smell. Easy to wash as well. Found this out from some other socknitters. Its also not expensive to ship , which is great for my budget.

sport yarn will also work for work socks btw if you cant get wool yarn. ( If you are not too sensitive, it should be fine).

I also found out that wool socks actually help cool and wick away moisture on hot summer day full of humidity although we tend to think cotton would work better. It doesnt, it gets clammy. 110F and 90 % humidity tested so high heat index as well..... tested by a TX'n!

So. I learned a few new things about knitting products this week!

Have fun!

I made more mittens from old sweaters (felted)

I made my kids all big three ring binders with all my recipes in them

All my kids now have afgans made too

that's about it in the homemade section this year

i love the coffee bean idea!!!

Son asked me if I would make his teacher a scarf. I said yes. Then he told me he wanted it for her birthday next week. dry.gif

Son asked me if I would make his teacher a scarf. I said yes. Then he told me he wanted it for her birthday next week. dry.gif

That kids for ya - always wait until the last minute!

BUT he gave you a week! no special colors you don't have in stock? LOL

and Hey he asked you to make one instead of buying one so he must think you are good at it! (or cheap?) :sHa_sarcasticlol:

He is eyeing up one I have already made. I have enough of that color to make another one. I'll have to get more. That's the color my DD wants her shawl in.

The women at church are having a crafters weekend. I'm going but I hope I can crash in the youth room. I have to work today and I'm to old to pull a all nighter.

He is eyeing up one I have already made. I have enough of that color to make another one. I'll have to get more. That's the color my DD wants her shawl in.

The women at church are having a crafters weekend. I'm going but I hope I can crash in the youth room. I have to work today and I'm to old to pull a all nighter.

We used to have those at the Fabric / Quilt shop I worked at !

All night long from 7pm - 7am Lots of ladys in PJ's (well some brave ones anyway-he,he) and man did we make a lot of things in one night!

Always had enought fabric from everyone to make a quilt (mostly squares), shop donated the filler and backing, for some place to raffle off, as well as everyone working on projests of they own.

Plus every few hours we had a 'class' to learn new things.

Well since I just now am trying to learn crochet, I'm going to make some dishcloths, some crocheted towels that hang on kitcher door/drawers, and crocheted hangers. I love those to hang my clothes on, so I'm giving it a try. We'll see how well I do. Cross your fingers!!

Well since I just now am trying to learn crochet, I'm going to make some dishcloths, some crocheted towels that hang on kitcher door/drawers, and crocheted hangers. I love those to hang my clothes on, so I'm giving it a try. We'll see how well I do. Cross your fingers!!

Just DON"T Cross your fingers!!

or you will NOT be able to hold the 'hook' - :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Two of my Princesses are still in the Barbie stage so I will be making them alot of clothes for their dolls.

I still need to work on ideas for everyone else.

I finished Son's teachers scarf at the crafters weekend. I was the olny one doing something other than scrap booking. Wow do they have a LOT of money invested in it.

I love to crochet but I sturggle with reading the patterns. DD2's shawl will be the death of me but I think I found someone to help me from the church. Once I see it done I can do it .

I need a idea for the men in my small group at church.

Barbie's should have their own tax deduction.

I also need a idea for my Dh's birthday. He will be 50. I seem to remember that when I turned 40 he put a add in the paper that said Lordy ,Lordy. looks who's fourty. You know what they say about paybacks.

Edited by gofish

I am crocheting hanging kitchen towels, and will be making potholders for the dil2b and painting cake takers for sister, and nieces. For the guys well...I am still working on those.

They will all get goodie boxes with peanut butter balls, chocolate covered peanut butter ritz crackers, chocolate covered pretzels pumpkin bread, and banana nut bread etc...

I'm not making nearly as much as I had planned this year. As usual, I ran out of time.

I'm making:

a pincushion for my mom

Wrist warmers for my aunt

a Waldorf doll for my youngest (premade body)

A doll quilt for each of my girls (to go with their new dolls)

a couple tote bags for my nieces

Cloth dolls for my nephews

Helping my 4 year old make picture frames for her grandparents (modpodge and scrapbook paper)

And I still need to come up with something for my grandma and my husband's grandma

I also need a idea for my Dh's birthday. He will be 50. I seem to remember that when I turned 40 he put a add in the paper that said Lordy ,Lordy. looks who's fourty. You know what they say about paybacks.

Here is what we did for a friend that turned 50 but didn't want us telling everyone about it:

at his party when it came time to open the gifts we told them we wanted to be last (you will see why?)

I made up a box covered in black paper with cutoutsof '50' all over it. When he opened the box inside was '25 gifts' mixed in with '25' small home-made Birthday Cards!(total 50!)

Each gift was special as there were '50' things in each one.

Like we found:

clothline-50 feet

50 clothpins

roll of 50 pennys- made

bag of 50 rubberbands - made

bag of 50 paperclips - made

candy bag of 50 mints

pack of 50 tacks

50 feet of fencing wire

bag of 50 nails - made

bag of 50 paper plates

and so on and so on.

Funny part was 1 of his kids was in charge of putting the 25 Birthday Cards in a big baggie we had with us and everyone else in the room started to join on on the fun.

When he toook out a gift I asked hime "how many are in the bag,Ben?"

his reply: "50!" (%$*&$%#!)

next gift-

and I asked hime "how many are in the bag,Ben?"

by the thrird gift evenyone was saying "how many are in the bag,Ben?"

Oh, what fun that was!

I took the time to make header cards for the things that we had made-up and it was also fun 'shopping' looking for 50 things in packages. Had one store owner running around his shop helping us look for things!

I'm working on a scarf to match the fingerless gloves and hat that I made yesterday-they are crocheted and went really fastand would make a good grandma gift.For the neighbors I will be making a honey pecan twist(its a coffee cake in the 1993 state fair cookbook) you stack 3 layers up with the filling between ,put a glass in the middle on top and cut 16 slices into the middle,remove glass and twist the pieces and bake.Very pretty. For hubbys birthday how about a sign out front saying--Its nifty look who's 50.

I want to make some "quilted" ornaments, but not sure I will get time.

Like these : http://crafterwithoutacat.blogspot.com/2009/08/ornament-tutorial.html

The ones online that folks are selling can be as much as $30 each !! Depends upon fabric and ribbons.

Those look incredible! I'm going to add that to my ideas for next year.

Take it from someone that has made them before start around the 4th of July. It doesn't go as fast as you think it will.

SNIP

A sign in the front yard that says:

He looks sly and acts real shifty

But honest folks (name) just turned 60!

I know he's only fifty but....bwa-haha

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0