The MacKinnon

My Mom

86 posts in this topic

Yup, I was starting to wonder, too. I emailed her...

:pray:

Oh my goodness! We really havent heard from her in awhile... Please keep us posted if you get a reply, Cat!

She'll be in as soon as she can.

(today)

Hi Cat!

Things are going ok and I'll be posting an update; I was thinking about doing that sooner but my mom is home now with us and things are just kinda crazy. But I've felt the prayers and I'm so thankful for them.

More later and hugs back to y'all,

Alexis

HI y'all and thank you so much for your prayers and concern. :hug3:

Mom was released back on March 17th and has been here since. DH has been magnificent in taking care of her during the day when I'm gone and they're both trying hard. Her condition is stable; she can walk with the walker but that's as taxing as we want to go. The physical therapist comes 2x a week now to work with her and the nurse (this is all home health care stuff) comes once a week to check her vitals. The biggest thing has been pain management; she had a few times when I really thought this was it but we're giving her the pain medication 2x a day now and it helps. She doesn't eat much though - and that's not good. She only weighed 100 lbs before her fall and now she's at about 89. She's also had allergies/medication reaction where her nose runs out of control. We do have dogs but this was going on in the hospital and her sneezing fits have been going on for years (you can about set your watch for 4 pm when it starts).

Last Monday night, I put her to bed and wondered if she' make it through the night, then about 1 am we heard her tooling down the hall, laughing and talking as if she was on the grand tour and had one too many margaritas!!! :0327: Well, at least she was feeling better!! When I got home tonight, though, she was in bed and is real disoriented right now and a little frantic so things go hour to hour. DH had to go for a drs appt in the big city so I stayed home yesterday to be with her. He has another appt Tuesday, so I'll stay home then. I get a lot of grading done! I have to help her with the bathroom during the night, so I'm up 2 or 3 times although she has slept through the night more often.

One nice thing that happened - my principal nominated me for a VFW award "Citizenship Education Teacher" and lo and behold I was chosen as the "Outstanding Citizenship Educator of the Year for Tennessee grades 9-12" !!! That was a lovely surprise and it really sent a lot of sunshine into what has been the roughest year I"ve ever had teaching (25 of them now). I got 3 weeks notice last summer I was moving rooms and changing teaching preps from US to World (they're 9th graders) so I started out scrambling and these kids are the most immature, clueless bunch I've ever had. I hear next year's are worse. Oh boy. :ph34r:

So I come home and try to take care of everyone, do some school work and then collapse. My diversion has been to play "Margaritaville Online" and it's been wonderful therapy, along with reading a couple of books on Kindle: "I'm Gonna Live My Life Like a Jimmy Buffett Song!". He's written 2 books and they're just great fun. If I can't have 3 weeks in Tahiti, these are the next best thing. Well that and wandering back over here to Mrs S!!

I can hang in there 3 more weeks - I think. Seriously I don't know how Mom will do - she has another doctor's appt in June, at which time bloodwork will be done. If she isn't eating better, her doctor and I will take a hard look at a "failure to thrive' diagnosis and consider hospice. While I don't want to think of her passing, I understand the odds are against her (especially if she won't eat more and she has never eaten much) but hospice, if appropriate, would give me a little more help and I need that.

And I'm coping with a mystery malady - my left leg tingles (like it's almost asleep) and there is some knee weakness. Preliminary diagnosis is pinched nerve/sciatica (there is no pain) so my dr put me on anti-inflammatory meds and I'm going to my chiropracter Monday. I'll see what he says and go from there.

Sigh. To quote the immortal Roseanne Roseannadanna: "It's always something!"

B)

Thanks again for your prayers and y'all have been in mine, too!!!

You have been a champion through all of this. Kudos and yes its about time you were recognized for your great teaching!

Blessings to you and your Mom and your DH in this time!

Good to hear from you. Congrats on the award! Couldn't happen to a more deserving person!

Hope your mom does better and you get some rest. Been thru it with my own mom. Don't know how much longer till daughter needs total care either. Early Alzheimer's rearing its ugly head. Don't know if I can do it but will cross that bridge when I come to it. Hold on, better days ahead, hopefully.

Thanks Arby and Trish - just had a scare (like I said - this is hour to hour). She's feeling nauseous and I went in about 30 minutes ago and thought she was dead. She wasn't, but she's having a crying jag and wanting to get up and not sleep the rest of her life and maybe it would be better to die.

This is so hard...

Trish - prayers up from me for you and your DD. Like I said - this is all so hard...

:(

I just got caught up here. Congratulations on your award!!!!!! I'm sure you work really hard with those kids!!! Hang in there with your mom! You'll know you have done all you can possibly do! That is always a comfort to me.

Good to hear from you. Congrats on your award!!! That is awesome.

Sorry you are having such a trying time with your dear mother. It must be scary and rewarding all at the same time. :hug3:

Funny you mentioned Jimmy Buffet. My son and I were just singing one of his songs today. "I wish I had a pencil thin moustache...the Boston Blackie kind"

Good to hear from you. Congrats on your award!!! That is awesome.

Sorry you are having such a trying time with your dear mother. It must be scary and rewarding all at the same time. :hug3:

Funny you mentioned Jimmy Buffet. My son and I were just singing one of his songs today. "I wish I had a pencil thin moustache...the Boston Blackie kind"

I love that song - "I could be as suave as Errol Flynn...if I only had a pencil thin mustache..."

Right now I'd rather be wasting away in Margaritaville. I did become the mayor in the game. I get cheered and applauded everytime I go to a certain area in the game. I need that. Sigh. :happy0203:

I'm so glad to get an update from you... This kind of thing is never easy, but some days are better than others! My husband and his many siblings went to great lengths to care for their mom in her own home around the clock. It put a strain on each of them personally/emotionally/physically/financially, but I know that they would each do it again in a heartbeat.

Special congratulations on your award. It is so important to recognize quality educators for the work that they do. It often seems like a thankless job and I'm NOT a teacher, but I see where it could be quite draining.

It sounds as though a few of us have been having a Jimmy Buffet moment. Hubby and I were watching the New Orleans Jazzfest on Youtube last night and the Zac Brown Band was on. I told my hubby that I had just seen a video of them while channel surfing and they were performing with Jimmy Buffet. The video was about being stuck on a deserted island, I think.

I also read one of his books about a month back... It was the story of the pig that lived in New York City. I found it to be very entertaining!

Alexis!!!! So glad to get an update from you. I've held a couple friend's hands as they have walked down this path with parents. Now my mom is having shortness of breath and a cardio apt. on Wed. So far, both my folks have been healthy but in their early 80's.....I'm aware that they're just one fall away from some thing major.

Hang in there and take the tidbits of enjoyment that God sends...like shiny pennies [different post].

MtRider :thumbs:

Congrats on your award Alexis! You deserve to get some recognition. Praying for your family to get through this difficult time.

Thank you all. The award was a nice reprieve from all the craziness.

Oh! MY DD and DSiL had their baby, Abby, back in October. They dropped everything back when Mom first got hurt (January) and flew up to be with her, so she did get to meet her great-granddaughter, Abby!

I think that was the blessing in all of the trauma!!!

And now, she gets to visit via "Facetime" since I have all Mac stuff and DD has an iPhone. That is a wonderful app. Not quite as great as "in person" but it is wonderful!

(((((The MacKinnon))))))

Congrats on the award.

:pray: for you and yours.

Oh boy. Mom had some problems last night with her stomach and this morning DH called with the news she was throwing up her oatmeal. She wanted to go on to her hair appointment (which she'd been looking forward to all week) and so DH took her. The lady who does her hair told DH Mom had real trouble swallowing her glass of water. So I ducked out of my classroom and called her doctor who was out of the office this afternoon, but we made an appointment for tomorrow. DH said Mom came home and was too tired to eat a bowl of chicken noodle soup, so she napped.

I got a sub for tomorrow and realized that with a week left of school and finals upon us, I still had a pile of late papers to grade and post. My principal let me skip the faculty meeting but I didn't get to leave early because I had to get things together for the sub. Thank heavens tomorrow is essentially a half day for me - 7th period has its exam from 1 - 2:45 and I don't have a 7th period. I was really concerned I'd miss next week's finals and all the housekeeping that goes with the end of school if my Mom died, so I was frantically trying to get things set up for any sub.

When I got home, she was sitting at the dining table and DH was about to make her some soup, so I did and she ate the whole thing, praise the Lord! She also ate a good supper tonight and an ice cream cone, but she was very tired again.

This is really hard, isn't it...:mellow:

Yes hon, (((MacK))) this has got to be one of those very intense life situations that we sometimes endure with God's strength and guidance. It gets to feeling so surreal!

I've had both DH and DD1 on life support [separate incidents] ..... that's the very worst so far for me.

But I haven't been there yet with my folks, except for a few incidents that went away and we kept on pretty much as normal. But...someday...

MtRider :pray:

Edited by Mt_Rider

(((((The MacKinnon))))))

:pray:

May God bless and keep you and yours.

:bighug2: Sending lots of hugs and prayers

Like an emotional roller coaster, huh. Your husband sounds outstanding.

Sending prayers your way. :pray:

MacK....I'm so sorry about what is going on with your mom! :(

My thoughts and prayers are with you, her, and your entire family right now. :hug3:

I was getting ready to go to the graduation exercises tonight when the home health care nurse called and told her she was on her way. Thank God she was. When I tried to wake mom up, she was groggy and completely disoriented. She was confused, told me she was waiting for her mom and dad and thought I was the doctor. Then she became unresponsive and couldn't quite remember how to use the walker or potty. We got through that and Becky, the nurse, advised me to take Mom to the ER so I did. I wasn't sure we'd make it the mile to the ER; she was almost unconscious. She started coming around in the ER which was encouraging. Tests were pretty normal but the doctor felt she'd endured a mini stroke (TIA) and so they admitted her for observation. She's there now, but she yo-yos between being happy and crying because she wants to go 'home' (back to where she grew up) and I won't be there. Which makes me think she's talking about going home to the Lord. She misses her sisters (who have been gone now for over 15 years).

Please keep us in your prayers.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor