Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mt_Rider

Without Warning: Hoarding RAIDS

43 posts in this topic

Keeping stuff in separated spaces is something I believe in. Definitely. Make sure you keep mixed ingredients for meals. I guess one of the points of this Scenario is that while neat rows of goods lined up on shelves is great for rotation and inventory...... [ :sigh: and it looks so purty! :wub: .... we are moving into a time period in which convenience and 'transparency' is NOT reccommended. :shrug: Just my opinion, of course.

You can still keep inventory if you record what is behind Curtain # 1 or in Box # 3. And ....um, 'labels' on those boxes should reflect the weight, size and ...perhaps, noise-made-if-shaken? RECORD those 'labels' and keep the record secured somewhere so 'other folk' don't get ahold of the 'playbook'. Just sayin'.

Then rotate those boxes that contain ingredients for several whole meals. Use up box #1 and fill Box # 14 with new canned/boxed food from the store.

Example: Tuna, noodles, Cream of Mushroom soup, salt, pepper, complete pancake mix, canned bacon, pie filling, yellow cake mix, canned pineapple, can of coffee, sugar, condensed milk, pasta sauce, dehydrated onions and peppers, ........ What meals are available in that mix of products.

:cook: Let's have a contest! [starting new thread....] :feedme:

But yes :( I think we can begin to think of actual shakedowns for our Hoarded Resources. It's not going to be just food but that will be the beginning.

If any of you have had your house burglarized, 'someone' knows what you have if it wasn't camoflaged. Just sayin'.... <_<

Believe me, I hate ramping up the serious quality of these Scenarios. I've avoided it but...I *am* trying to stay ahead of the wave.... :sigh:

MtRider [...not having to worry cuz my place is not so organized that even *I* can find things but.... :rolleyes::busted: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider
fixin' smilies...mebbe?

While I understand the issues with concealing things in a mobile home, I just wanted to point out that older homes sometimes have odd places that can be developed into hidey holes. In my area, some of the homes were part of the underground railroad.

Some of it is well-hidden, especially the long-term storage items. The pantry has the canned goods - that would be wiped out (unless home canned goods would be spared because they are "untrustworthy.") I should consider spreading out those items to other locations. GOOD scenario!

How on earth would you conceal livestock? They are my most valuable asset foodwise.

You won't be able to conceal livestock. You will have to be able to defend them.

I'm getting more and more interested in the video where the couple was raising guinea pigs as meat.

LOL, when the guinea pigs can be milked and start laying eggs, I'll be interested. Most of our protein and a large portion of our calories come from the goats and poultry.

Guerrilla Livestock Raising? Good thot!

I chose Khaki Campbell ducks cuz they LOOK the most like wild birds. Hopefully from the eye int he sky. I just wouldn't bring them in at night...and build an island for them to be safe??? :unsure:

With warning, some of my goats could be elsewhere. But not permanently or they'd be cougar food. :(

My fantasy move to less populated area would include backing up to wilderness/forest service land....and keeping livestock out there in the care of a certain [adult] pup????

Martian? Are your quail a quiet bird? They would be more easily hidden...

CGA, do you have any guinea fowl? No body is gonna walk up and grab them from the trees. 'Course you'd have to shoot them to eat them cuz without caging them, you couldn't get them either.

MtRider [...and guinea fowl are great at raising the alarm if something isn't 'right' on the farm! ]

Mt Rider I do have 3 insane guineas that make noise constantly and hide whatever eggs they lay somewhere the dogs can find them, but I can't. I may get some more after I move but these are so wild I'd have to shoot them to move them! LOL

Seems the only way to keep the stock safe would be to have a good tight barn, plenty of guards with big guns, and carry all their feed to them. That is from casual raiders. I don't know of any way to keep them from a very determined group that can over power you. I don't even have a good barn, much less help to defend the stock.

I've always felt that short term food (ie: canned food, chocolate chips) can always be out in the open for easy rotation - but beans, rice, etc, once it's packed for long term should be hidden throughout the house. Break up the pantry and have a few odd canned goods out on the shelves in the kitchen and the rest of it hidden. So if anyone is in your house they can "see" that you have some foods but not all of your stock. Just don't forget what you've already bought and beware critters.

The really bright side of people building such bigger homes is that it could take a lot longer for them to be searched so it will consume more of their time. ;)

How on earth would you conceal livestock? They are my most valuable asset foodwise.

You won't be able to conceal livestock. You will have to be able to defend them.

You might be able to hide some if you live near a forest.

My mom told me that one of her Polish relatives was able to hide some that way during WWII. The old man of the family was thought to be a bit daft and no one in the village thoguht much of him abesnt mindendly wandering off all the time. After the war he brought out a couple of cows he had hidden there.

I could play the daft one..... :sassing:

A good reason to train some livestock to lead on a rope....

MtRider [Ya just never know. Leave all options open. ]

When I think of raiders I think of the type in the movies. They rush in and tear up the place. I don't see them as going through boxes. I see them dumping out the contents and moving on to the next box and dumping it out. In and out and on to the next. Nothing gentle nor polite about them. Sort of a motor cycle gang, Hell's Angels type of deal. (No offense to the good Angels :engel-smilies-10-1: )

Wish I could afford a climate controled, away from the house 'POD'

I've been thinking about this scenario, and wonder if the hoardes would be as thorough or tossing things around if they find what appears to be a hidden cache of items? Sort of something that would look like we were hiding things, but yet still relatively easy to find so they come across it before tearing things up so much they find the main stash -- if they came across something like that, I wonder if they'd think that was it and move on if it seemed to be well-rounded, maybe even include a fake master list of what we stored (just including those items right there).

Eh, maybe not. Still trying to think of how we can save the bulk of our preps and thought perhaps a sort of sacrificial cahce may throw the hoardes off the main items stored.

Edited by lumabean

Be worth a try. Levels of hidden. Whoever (raiders, ordinary theives, unwanted relatives... <_< ) is searching might be distracted from the main cache.

MtRider {but I have to warn you :busted: not to fool yourself and have things go bad.... :rolleyes: }

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0