Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gofish

Mom is in the hospital

32 posts in this topic

Mom is in the hospital in respitory distress.

They are trying to get the fluids off her so she can breath.

They think she had a small heart attack or it part of her CHF. She is stable today and breathing better.

Joining others in prayer...I've got my mom in hospital (COPD) as we speak...lots of "extra" duties now, including caring for her 2 dogs, one of which has sliced my fingers twice...the latest being deep enough that it should probably have had stitches...but that would require a "dog bite" report which none of us want. So...we bought her a shock collar...and it will put us on the business end of her teeth. She's a 5 month old Minpin-Chiquahua mix and meaner than snot! Totally unsocialized with people or other dogs...we're going to try to change that while mom's in hospital as well as teaching her some manners about biting hands. In the past 2 days she's bitten me 3 times and MM twice, but only drawing blood from my hand. Sure makes it difficult to not want to drop kick her across the room...not a good feeling! Hoping ya's don't think I'm a meany...but I'm sure frustrated with the little snot!

Prayers for both moms. And don't feel bad...I hate being around ill mannered dogs too.

Praying, Gofish....I hope she's feeling better now.

Mom's holding her own...but they're having to switch around meds to address the COPD-pneumonia more effectively. COPD is a mean disease! Bought a "lap dog" training collar for her minpin mix and it's working very effectively. She's settled down a bit & figured out that MM and I are there for the time being, and we sit the wire crate out on the porch, open the door and off she goes with the older terrior. Come time to put her up, we use the remote to "herd" her into her crate and then sit it back inside, in the living room where mom keeps it. Not old enough to have free run of the house with nobody home. My finger feels better, used the stop bleed to help and then peroxide, then antibiotic ointment, then fairly tight bandage followed by a piece of cosmetic sponge to cushion so it doesn't break open again, and then...water proof tape. Learning some emergency medical skills here!

Philbe, I'm sorry your Mom's struggling with COPD. You're right, it is awful. I volunteer with a local hospice and see a lot of COPD patients. The great thing is, once they have really good treatment, their quality of life improves amazingly! The right combination of drugs and lifestyle changes can make a big, positive impact on people who have COPD. I hope that your Mom's is brought under control and that she feels better soon. My prayers are with her, as well! And yikes on the finger! I'm glad that you got it fixed up....but do keep on eye on it for infection. You don't want the surface to heal _too_ fast and winde up with bacteria trapped inside. Air it out frequently and continue to treat it with peroxide/iodine and antibiotic ointment. Hugs to you!

TM...thanks for the heads up on caring for the finger as well as COPD. She's in her 80's and had battled this demon for the past 10 years or so. She wears a mask when she goes outside because she's been told she's allergic to "environmental allergies"...??? Anyway, you have to go with what her DR tells her because to her, he walks on water. He's a cardiac DR but he does call in pulmonary DR's when she's in hospital. I wish she had a regular pulmonary DR to take a different approach to COPD instead of dosing her up with antibiotics and steroids. She's got her inhalers, she's got her oxygen tanks, she's got her nebulizer...but come fall all hell breaks loose for her. I'm just not sure her staying "holed up" inside her house and wearing a mask to go outside is the answer???

Praying for both moms.

Careful with peroxide...it eats tissue....

Change bandage often to keep a CLOSE eye out for undue redness around the wound. Now that bleeding is under control, loosen the wrap. Free the circulation of both air and blood.

As for dog bite report...you can always blow it off with 'excited puppy grabbed me instead of toy'.... :whistling: [having a puppy and knowing how often that happens by accident. Sharp little razor teeth, they have! Good opportunity to properly socialize the pup.

Post-Hooey....these are the situation in which we might have to resort to a well-researched round of antibiotics despite having no doctor/pharmacist available...... Get the knowledge/stuff now.

MtRider :pray:

Thanks MtR for more advice! All is truly appreciated. I'll go loosen things up shortly and keep the wound slathered with the antibiotic ointment.

Update, Gofish?

Philbe, consider hot salt-water soaks if it shows the first sign of redness or swelling.

Finger is looking good...not near as "touchy" when bumped and it's stopped bleeding when bumped. Keeping bandaide only on now and also when in shower...changing after shower. Remote is still working effectively on the little bugger that bit me!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0