Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The WE2's

TENT LIVING

41 posts in this topic

Mountain Man and I plan to "go on the road" when we sell 2 of our 3 properties. We're planning to keep the homestead house as our "base" for any time we want to come off the road for a time. But...even if we sold all 3 properties and lived full time in our travel trailer, we don't view it as being homeless. Having dirt under us doesn't seem to qualify...to us any way...LOL Wherever we go there's dirt or asphalt or gravel or ??? under us...LOL It's just a matter of how much the government can tax us on. Personal property (in our state) is a whole lot cheaper than real estate taxes. Insurance is also alot cheaper than paying homeowners on a house etc. The nicest thing? If we don't like our neighbors (or neighborhood) we just hitch up and go someplace else...LOL It's all paid for anyway, so the scenario of "home is where we park it" is our desire until we can't drive safely. LOL

I think we were just comparing notes on other 'portable' methods of housing CGA if one travels , camps or has a choice and perhaps the resources. Yes, this woman has chosen a rather weird path. Her children are grown, they need to pull their own weight and while I can see she is a free spirit type, it's still dangerous. It seems to me she has permission to use someones private land as well. Still, it was creative and she has developed her own methods that make it neater and compact and keeps her hygiene needs met by adaptation. So I will take some of her own suggestions for myself if need be if I must go on my own journey outside soon. It was a nice review of what one might do for themselves , by drawing outside the lines.......

as to tiny homes or tiny trailers that are handbuilt, they are quite the thing and if you do it with simple decent carpentry skills , you will have a trailer or tiny home at a much smaller cost than folks pay for flimsy commerically built trailers and RV's they pay for. A well maintained truck and you also can manage your budget to meet your basic needs this way. Some folks love the lifestyle. We made an RV out of a commercial step van in the 60's, and I find these are much more aesthetic to the eye today so I enjoy keeping up with the trend. We used it for camping trips and to do gyrocopter flying and go to airshows. My dad financed the parts needed by writing articles for camper coachmen and trailer life back then , often of the methods and products used in building it. It had a horrible brown and beige paint job though. The hippies all got mad when we didn't stop and pick them up , hitchhiking..... lol. He did do a fine job on the inside and the engine rebuild. I got to drive it out on El Mirage dry lake . LOL. good memories and the cessna's altimeter on the dashboard going up in elevation climbing Tioga Pass when it was still a dirt or gravel road. If he were to build a trailer again < I can see him taking the time and finding beautiful woods and fixtures and doing a wonderful and unique , lovely job on the exterior. But now its just for him, so he could manage that if he chose to. He has built a lovely home since those days after all and restored vehicles of several types and did a fantastic job with photography, painting and antiques , so I know he has an incredible amount of aesthetics and ability. commercially built ones are just quick to arrange to buy when you want one .

AS for tent living.... if anyone has any innovative ideas to share, please continue in that vein. We were just having some fun considering what is a step up from tents and tarps obviously.

I've mentioned before that DH and I lived rustic for a year [tent, back of pickup with topper, 1950's tin trailer ---all without water or electric].

We've also lived in this cabin [real log inside and out] which is exactly double her space. 2 adults, BIG DOG [and now her successor], and small cat. Doubling her space really does make a difference but, we're still quite small.

I have stood in our 2-horse [ancient and rustic] trailer and wondered...... If we had to, how that space would be so much better than a tent or even the back of the truck. Because you can stand upright! That's one of the worst things about tents or back-of-truck living. With drop down bench-beds and such. [not sure where we'd put the horses/goats/ducks tho.] :lol:

MtRider --- always working the Plan B's :thumbs:

Wow. Twelve kids in one RV? That's close family living. Traveling across the country would be exciting.....

Yes DM...we love RV'ing and hopefully will go "mostly" full-time this next year (if we can get the Little House sold!), at least that's our plan. I let Mtn.Man watch the video and said "I really get to feeling "B....." when I see this and get the "hitch itch"...he grinned, but I think he got the message to get in gear and get that darned house cleaned out and on the market and sold! (I can't get the web site emoticons to work???)

As far as I know...Mountain Man and I will never own something like this...but...it's okay to dream! I hope it comes through okay.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50614480/#50614480

Oh my. That looks like 'hell on wheels' to me. Not in a good way either.

All those little kids in that little space. And one little bathroom. :0327:

And what if someone is sick in the bathroom? No privacy. :gdtmi:

Privacy? Oh wait, 12 kids...maybe it's their new form of birth control. :behindsofa:

Yeah Jeepers...that could be a form of birth control when people are on the road...LOL I wouldn't dream of it with kids...only with our Lab-Brat!

When DH & I married, we had nothing but a tent and our backpacks. Parents were not an option and we were unemployed. We lived in a tent a long time in one of the CO Ntl. Forests, until we could find a job. Then, when we got our feet under us - sort of - we lived in a pop-up trailer for some time in the desert.

We do not like the idea of having others so close. The further the better, more natural resources without having to worry about the trouble and lack of privacy other people bring.

"Plan B" I like that Mt_Rider. :happy0203:

Understanding your love for "living large"...LOL This lady spends nearly all her camping on BLM land so it cost her nothing in camping fees. I think I could do it for a time, but I love the trees, creeks, streams, rivers, lakes etc. So I'd find myself boondocking in our nation's forestry areas (the ones that are free) and then heading for BLM when the weather got cold... :campfire:

BLM land in our state needs a permit even for camping.

Been awhile since I visited this topic, but couldn't resist. Mountain Man and I were out in Mennonite Country this weekend, and saw this neat building on a lot with several others. This one just absolutely flipped out switch, along with the chicken house & pen, and oh my...the green house! The "house" in this state was $16,000, the chicken house wasn't priced, so...and the green house in this state was $2500. Every tme we see something like this we contemplate (again) selling ALL 3 houses, buying a plot of land with water & timber, having something like this set up moved in, and calling it our "homestead" when we're not on the RV road. We're wanting to do some more looking in Tennessee if we did do something like that. Anyhoo...here's some pics we took, thought you all would enjoy...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0