lumabean

$7/gallon of milk -- do you think it will happen?

60 posts in this topic

Just saw this video on Katzcradul's YouTube channel.

Scary thought, but at this point little would really surprise me.

Edited by lumabean

Well, non subsized/adjusted prices should already be that so I guess it wouldn't be a surpise. I don't buy millk from a store we get it from a farmer so it's raw and pay about $6 for a half gallon. Now I've already noticed cheese prices have jumped quite a bit over the last couple of months at the restaurant bulk store we buy from.

I'm sure we'll see prices on just about everything jump this coming spring thanks to the drought too.

name brand here is almost $6 and I just paid $4 a gallon of store brand so yeah I can see it happening unfortunately

I think we're spoiled here, I think the milk the other day was $3.85/gallon at Wal-Mart. The convenience store is under $4 as well. $7/gallon would be almost double.

Wondering too how the rest of the cheese, etc will continue to rise as well.

Paying over $6/gal for orange juice. I don't even like to think about the current cost of coffee. So, it's not suprising.

Luma, isn't there a PA dairy board or something that sets our milk prices? You see those signs "Lowest price allowed by state law". It never goes on sale like it does in other states.

We pay $2.60 per half gallon already. Our prices for everything are very disporportionately high in CO. <_< They call it the "Beauty Tax" .

So if we double, it sure wouldn't be $7/gal.

MtRider ---told DH to stop and get cottage cheese, ricotta, sour cream, and milk before the new year.

Milk subsidies and price controls are one of the main reasons that small farmers and dairies cannot compete. People complain that they cannot get raw, organic milk locally, but are unwilling to pay the unsubsidized price. I can produce raw, organic goat milk at the unsubsidized price and would do so if I had a decent customer base. As it is, what we don't use in the house is animal feed. I have 10 or 11 does that are freshening this spring but it won't pay me to keep and milk all of them. I'll probably have to sell a few off. I'd rather keep the does and sell the milk at the unsubsidized price.

At the local WM, milk is $3.16/gallon. Hubby drinks that. i get mine from a dairy farmer that doesn't use hormones or antibiotics routinely. It costs $4.00/half-gallon. Hubby only wants store bought.

How much milk costs depends on where it is bought also. Other WMs in the same general area (25 mile radius) have prices ranging from $3.98 to the $3.16 where I shop.

Hubby has already cut down on how much milk he drinks and I use dry for cooking. For my milk, I only drink 1/2 gallon per week. Mine will probably go up as the cost of feed has jumped.

Yeah, I should add the the milk we buy is "No growth hormone....etc" brand of milk. So it's not the generic WM range of milk pricing.

MtRider mumbles for the 1,000ths time: Gotta get a buck and breed my own milk-producers.....

Local store is over 4$ already. They were talking about milk prices going up on fox news last night. It had to do with certain legislation for price controls or something affecting the dairy farmers that is legislative. Not good. Bad enough the feed and hay are so skimpy and expensive already. I feel badly for the youngest children who really need milk.

Now that the boys are grown and out on their own we don't use that much milk. Hubby uses it for his coffee. I have it in my oatmeal or creme of wheat and every once in a while I will make pudding. I would say we go through a half a gallon a week at the most. I need to increase my supply of dry milk because I have been cooking with it more and more since we don't have a steady supply of milk in the house.

I saw that OOTO, I was curious so I looked up their website, and they've got the January 2013 prices posted. I didn't know there were something like 4-5 zones (all with different minimum prices -- close, but slightly different) based on different factors. It was interesting (though confusing lol).

My son and nephew drink a lot of milk. For awhile, my husband would joke that he should just get then their own cow. I wish we could ....

We're not milk drinkers...so I stock powdered milk, evaporated canned milk and a few packages of "shelf stable" milk. If I just have a terrible hankering for a glass of milk, I bite the bullet and pay the $$ for a small bottle of milk that is about the size of a glass.

Heard on the news that they kicked the can down the road for one year. Extension of the farm bill. Can't expect them to deal with anything, just kicking the can down the road and then wonder why things are tanked.

Ya know.....iffen I wasn't supposed to know better....I'd say they're writing fictional TV episodes, complete with ELEVENTH HOUR solutions and CLIFF HANGERS.

MtRider <_< {the royal} WE are not amused!

Well, non subsized/adjusted prices should already be that so I guess it wouldn't be a surpise.

Bingo - so much crap is subsidized by other taxpayers that most people have no real knowledge of actual costs. I'd happily pay $7/gal for milk if uncle sam would stop robbing me to pay farm subsidies. Then it is my choice.

Well, non subsized/adjusted prices should already be that so I guess it wouldn't be a surpise.

Bingo - so much crap is subsidized by other taxpayers that most people have no real knowledge of actual costs. I'd happily pay $7/gal for milk if uncle sam would stop robbing me to pay farm subsidies. Then it is my choice.

My thoughts exactly. Of course, when people stop buying so much milk because the prices go up, I have a feeling the prices will start coming down on their own. Just like it is supposed to work.

Prices cannot go below cost of production without subsidies. 7-8$/gallon is going to be the true price if the taxpayers don't subsidize it. If grain goes up any more, expect prices to keep going up. I'm paying twice as much for grain as I did two or three yrs ago.

I love how people think if they don't buy milk the milk producers will lower the price. The milk producers have to make money or they simply are NOT going to milk cows. They will liquidate like so many of the beef cattle producers did earlier this year. If that happens you'll have to pay more for the milk to what few producers will be left. Oh yeah, as they liquidate hamburger will go down in price again for awhile but that won't last forever and then it'll be prices back up for meat and milk both. Maybe you all think milk producers makes too much money. They don't. They could actually make more working in town 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and then go home with no headaches. Did you ever stop to think a milk producer milks twice a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The work and worry never ends. There are no paid vacations, sick days or any benefits you get at a town job. Now, don't get me wrong, I know the livestock people love their lives, they know they could sell out and work in town but they don't want to. We (yes, we're livestock people) love our lifestyle but by gum we're going to make some money doing it or we'll quit......it's as simple as that!

As to subsidies, the American people could not afford the food the farmers produce in this country if the government didn't subsidize it. It keeps all our food prices as reasonable as possible.

The answer is really very simple. If you don't like the price of milk, buy a cow. We bought a cow but don't milk her. We have her "in case". She has 2 calves nursing on her. It's way more work and time than I want to put into it milking her twice a day. If the price of meat in the stores is too much, you can also grow that. If you don't like to pay the farmer to grow your vegetable, there again, you can grow your own. We are livestock producers and grow corn and soybeans. I also have vegetable gardens but you know what??? Most of what we eat is bought at the grocery store, just like the rest of you. It's just way too convenient and so much easier than growing our own.

I am not asking for sympathy, I don't need sympathy, I'm living the life I love. If you want to slam me for this post go right ahead, I will not argue with anyone. We all have our own opinions, these are mine AND only mine.

Very true, Dee. I could and would produce high quality poultry meat and high quality goat milk, but the consumers want it for less than it costs to produce so I don't bother. I just produce what we need and no more.

The ONLY reason that milk is so cheap in the stores is that the gov is taking money from the taxpayer to pay the difference in the price. The "poor" get food stamps and the children can get free milk if the family is poor so who are we helping? The gov agency workers get a pay check that they wouldn't get otherwise and the other costs of the agency have to be added to the bill as well.

So we are really paying MORE for the milk than the true price because of the inefficiency of the gov collecting the taxes and paying the subsidies. It is all a shell game.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor