MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
TheCG

Green Onions on the Windowsill

TheCG   

http://bakeoff-flunkie.blogspot.com/2012/03/grow-windowsill-green-onions.html

I had some green onions that were going bad in the fridge, so I cut off the roots and deslimed them, then stuck them in shot glasses on my windowsill. The covered porch makes it where they don't get direct sunlight, but they each have at least an inch to an inch and a half of green growing out of them now and it's only been a few days.

Fiddlesticks! Just threw out a bundle of them from the frig that went south on me. They somehow got buried under some other produce in my frig drawer. Again, fiddlesticks!

Jeepers   

Ohhh, great idea. So I wonder...could you use half of the white part then put the left over in a glass of water in the window and grow more white part? I've never had any left over green onions. I loves em.

I need to do this with a couple i have in the refrig now. They got shoved to the back of the drawer and I didn't realize they were there. I use green onions year round. I used to plant them in an old muffin tin and grow them all year long but since moving here I haven't done that I was afraid they would freeze in the window. I am adding an in house green house this next month or two. It will be a shelf unit with grow lights and I plan on having lettuce, onions and starting my herbs in there.

Annarchy   
So I wonder...could you use half of the white part then put the left over in a glass of water in the window and grow more white part?

As long as you leave enough white area near the root system, yes, it will grow.

Another thing you can do to help jump-start it's growth is, put the root piece in a small bag, root side down. As you twist the bag top loosely, breathe into it, set it in the veggie crisper, root side down and wait a couple of days. The roots generally will start to grow and some of the greenery will start to come back. Once it has started growing again, then put it in the water glass.

Water glass growing works to re-green the light yellow internal part of celery also....

TheCG   

From reading the blogs I've found on it, it sounds like eventually they quit growing green. I wonder if adding a bit of fertilizer or nutrients would fix that.

I need to do this with a couple i have in the refrig now. They got shoved to the back of the drawer and I didn't realize they were there. I use green onions year round. I used to plant them in an old muffin tin and grow them all year long but since moving here I haven't done that I was afraid they would freeze in the window. I am adding an in house green house this next month or two. It will be a shelf unit with grow lights and I plan on having lettuce, onions and starting my herbs in there.

Comment from Philbe..."be careful of them grow lights!" LOL

Well yesterday I tried this we will see how it goes. I cut the tips off and stuck them in water and put them in the window seal if nothing happens they hit the compost bowl. If they work I will have fresh green onions.

I'm going to plant mine outside in the dirt, as soon as the weather clears up, to see how they do.

I had some sweet potato vines last spring. Try cutting them in half and sticking the pointy end down in the water. That worked for me, but the whole one didn't. It sometimes takes 2 weeks for the sprouts to show up. The vine, by the way, is edible and delicious! So if it gets too long, now you know what to do with the prunings.

Oh yes....I have also regrown celery roots the same was as the green onions...just put the roots in a little dish with some water in a sunny place, and they will sprout. You can then plant out in soil for 'free' celery. I just kept trimming it off and using it for seasoning until the roots petered out from just the water. I assume they would last longer in dirt.

I did the green onions too, and I had only 1 inch above the roots to work with. They sprouted up really quickly and were delicious!

Edited by kappydell

Thanks! I do that. I was just about to pitch them. Groaning over the celery thing...I just threw out about 4 heads when I bought, sliced & froze some. Thinking of that V8 commercial when they pop their foreheads and say "I could of ..." LOL

The romaine lettuce has grown about an inch since I placed it in the window. Not enough for a sandwich and only the center portion is growing. I will try to remember to post a photo.

Thanks! I do that. I was just about to pitch them. Groaning over the celery thing...I just threw out about 4 heads when I bought, sliced & froze some. Thinking of that V8 commercial when they pop their foreheads and say "I could of ..." LOL

Just decided to pitch them. No sunny windows to put them in except the patio room, and it's very chilly there since that's where my dehydrators are. Will just try them when garden season comes in.

The romaine lettuce has grown about an inch since I placed it in the window. Not enough for a sandwich and only the center portion is growing. I will try to remember to post a photo.

Will they grow in garden-like soil? Just wondering.

I don't see any roots yet, Philbe! I may be able to just let them grow in tap water. The other one was just placed in the water two days ago, but I haven't seen much happening with it yet. I just sliced off a thin layer of the stump at the bottom to ensure that the plant would be able to draw water. I just tweeted this photo out and it got a lot of attention from my followers. In my mind, I am envisioning a low trough with a couple of rows of these stumps growing new heads of lettuce... especially in the winter. If this works, then I might never have to buy romaine again. I have three more heads in the fridge and plan to do the same with them when we're done eating the lettuce.

3c5268528f4d11e2b4ea22000a1fbdb0_6.jpg

Edited by themartianchick

The reason I asked is because we planted some Romaine last year and all it did was grow ugly, course leaves so I ended up just discarding them. Thought if they grew roots I could transplant into my garden. Oh well, just a thought. I don't have enough free window space to plant anything in windows, that's why I don't "start" anything. I just plant as early as I can (we have sq.ft. garden) and put our opaque covers over them if it it going to frost or storm etc.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.