20 posts in this topic

Baking Clay homeschool-crafts-thumbnail.jpg

More Homeschool Crafts

• 4 cups plain/all-purpose flour

1 cup salt

1 teaspoon powdered alum (optional)

1.5 cups water

Mix ingredients in a bowl.

This clay bakes best if the ornaments are not too thick - about 1/2 inch is best.

Bake your ornaments on an ungreased baking tray for 30 mins, then turn and bake them for another 90 minutes until they are hard and dry (keep an eye on them so they don't burn). You need a low oven temperature - about 250 degrees F or 120 degrees C. When they are cool you can smooth them with fine sandpaper before decorating and varnishing. - See more at: http://www.homeschooling-ideas.com/how-to-make-clay.html#airhardening

I used this often when I was 'in the business'. Cheap. Simple. Took acrylic paints well. Wondered if you can add powdered tempera paint to the salt mix to make colors that way? Never tried it....don't know how it would react to heat of baking. :shrug:

In humid climates, it's good to completely seal whatever you make with varnish or other sealant. Otherwise the salt will draw moisture and the paint will flake off.

Caution....would not be a good idea for small children or pets to EAT this high salt mix....tho they'd probably just throw it up.

MtRider .....remembering the crafting days. :)

yes, or kool aid or food dye works, too, Mt Rider.

Yea this one is not edible , there is one posted more for playdough use that is edible ( safe for eating if the kid decides to ) .

I used to make something with cornstarch too.....but have forgotten it. Did thousands of crafts with kids thru the years.....

MtRider :)

I used to make ornaments with applesauce & LOTS of cinnamon mixed with ??? cut with a cookie cutter (can't remember...been too long ago) and baked them. I remember they made the house smell so good hanging on the tree. But, I made those when my kids were wee ones ... and that's been 40+ years ago :-) Anybody ever make them?

Yes...the cinnamon ones! My folks still put some of mine on the tree but....think the smell is gone. I'd make the shapes with cookie cutters and then paint on them with acrylic paint. I love doing tiny miniature painting.

I have all these recipes..... :unsure: ...somewhere.

MtRider ....well, with the MS tremors, the itty-bitty stuff is far more difficult but... :santa:

Edited by Mt_Rider

You can go here and find all sorts of recipes. They even have an applesauce one. We2 mentioned.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=utf-8#q=cinnamon+salt+dough+recipe

Pinterest has some but you have too be a member now to see what all is posted. I'm not going to be bullied into taking an account just to see what others have posted. I'm revolting... :girlneener:

:thumbs: Jeepers , I am with you on that!!

Mother used to make the salt dough way back when...

think it was Valentines day,

The cinnamon sounds / smells wonderful..

Awesome Jeepers! I was just chatting with lumabean this morning on fb , she is getting into knitting soon too. So I did not have time yet to search for a recipe or two for the cinnamony ornaments.

I don't know about the lasting effects of the ornies but every time I pass by the cinnamon scented pinecones at the grocery store and craft stores, it smells so good. Even the ones they have displayed outside smell strong...in a good way.

Got me thinking. Maybe take some pinecones, dip in wax scented with cinnamon, let dry and use them for fire starters? I'm thinking cinnamon oil instead of powdered cinnamon. The oil might be stronger. I don't know. Other essential oils could be used too. Or even fragrance oils could be used. Just thinking out loud with my fingers.

Kind of reminds me of scented rag balls we used to do. If this site has a big pop up just click off and go back on again. It should be gone the second time. At least that's what happened with me.

http://www.creativehomemaking.com/holidays/rag-balls.shtml

No problem Sass. Google and I are best buds!

Along with Youtube.

I'd be lost without them. I've learned so much in the last few years. I've learned stuff I never even knew I wanted to learn. :D

Edited to finish my thought.

Edited by Jeepers

That sounds good about the pinecones. I also found out how to make flame colored, stuff with pine cones for an out door campfire bit of fun..... try a solution of water in a bucket, pour in 1 cup of regular table salt in one bucket of water, soak half pine cones several hours then let dry.... other bucket, pour in 1 cup of lite salt that has potassium chloride as its base.. do the same, then use in a fire outside, at night. Watch the diffferent colors from the pine cones. There are other solutions one can do too. Its on that homeschooling site I got some stuff off ( even a propane run raku ceramics kiln DIY project and pit kiln for stone ware ) I love raku and used to do it in college. It is very simple. Can get twenty firings off of a propane tank ( 5 or 6 gallon type) . Can do in your own back yard that way. Also ways to build kilns for firing for more purposes with ceramics as well. Lots to learn how to do.

It was applesauce cinnamon ornaments that were all the rage a while ago....People were baking them, putting them in their dehydrators (set on high) etc....and they smell like apple pie. Makes 12 to 15 ornaments. 3/4 cup applesauce 2 bottles (2.37 oz. each) Cinnamon, Ground Cookie cutters Drinking straw Colorful ribbon Preheat oven to 200°F. Mix applesauce and cinnamon in small bowl until a smooth ball of dough is formed. (You may need use your hands to incorporate all of the cinnamon.) Using about 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll dough to 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch thickness between two sheets of plastic wrap. Peel off top sheet of plastic wrap. Cut dough into desired shapes with 2- to 3-inch cookie cutters. Make a hole at top of ornament with drinking straw or skewer. Place ornaments on baking sheet. Bake 2 1/2 hours. Cool ornaments on wire rack. (Or, to dry ornaments at room temperature, carefully place them on wire rack. Let stand 1 to 2 days or until thoroughly dry, turning occasionally.). Insert ribbon through holes and tie to hang. Decorate with opaque paint markers, found in arts and crafts stores, if desired.

The way I make it is like this...

Mix equal parts cinnamon and applesauce. Mix it well and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Take out of fridge, roll out on a smooth surface topped with cinnamon to prevent sticking. Cut with cookie cutters and dry in the dehydrator.

After drying and removing from the dehydrator, slice up apples and dry them in the dehydrator. When they are dry they will have the perfect cinnamon apple taste.

SG

Oh I like all this about the cinnamon ornaments. ! I want to make some after payday, I am all out of applesauce at the moment.

Just remember if you are using cinnamon ,it is cheaper to buy it bulk from Amazon, Frontier or your favorite place. The oil might last longer. I like my applesauce too well to put it in ornaments so might try the salt ones and hang them up now to keep the house smelling good!

Wonder what could be used for a foral scent.

Edited by Twilight

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0