Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sarah

Wood Bees!

3 posts in this topic

Another tip came my way, after posting the boxax vs ants kill. 

We have carpenter bees.  While I love bees, and these are good pollinators, the damage they do to the wood structures is unacceptable.  Plus I think that the carpenter bees territorial aspects keep the honey bees at bay, and I like them more. 

There is/was a product, home made, called 'bee butter'.  It uses a repellent, I think is named Pymethrine, mixed with petroleum jelly, about 4% ratio.  It has great knock down, but must be syringe squirted into the carved channels and entrances, which are often quite high, and difficult to get to.  And I do not like the long term toxicity. 

Use the ant kill, but six tablespoons of borax instead of three, and put in pump sprayer.  Shake well, keep shaking.  Wear gloves.  Soak the wood, paying special attention to the channels and entrances.  They come out of the nests, and drop.

Plop Plop Buzz Buzz Stomp Stomp. 

But not getting them all.

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Sarah said:

Another tip came my way, after posting the boxax vs ants kill. 

We have carpenter bees.  While I love bees, and these are good pollinators, the damage they do to the wood structures is unacceptable.  Plus I think that the carpenter bees territorial aspects keep the honey bees at bay, and I like them more. 

There is/was a product, home made, called 'bee butter'.  It uses a repellent, I think is named Pymethrine, mixed with petroleum jelly, about 4% ratio.  It has great knock down, but must be syringe squirted into the carved channels and entrances, which are often quite high, and difficult to get to.  And I do not like the long term toxicity. 

Use the ant kill, but six tablespoons of borax instead of three, and put in pump sprayer.  Shake well, keep shaking.  Wear gloves.  Soak the wood, paying special attention to the channels and entrances.  They come out of the nests, and drop.

Plop Plop Buzz Buzz Stomp Stomp. 

But not getting them all.

Wer had a terrible time for a couple of years with those silly things and they scare the dickens out of Abby-girl because they "buzz" her (and you too!) when they're wanting to get you away from their holes.  We found that if you seal the hole, the babies just eat their way out about an inch or so from the original hole...grr!  So, we sealed the hole with silicone and then sprayed the hole rafter (carport) with Dawn and Canola oil mixed in a spray bottle.  So far, maybe we've won the battle?

I hope you have.  The 'dawn' version is one I knew, but did not do well with.  The trick is getting the babies also.  The borax supposedly will do that, and I found no dissension in my web searches. 

The 'buzz'ers are normally the males, who are on guard, but have no stinger.  But the female does, but will try to not use it. 

In past times, the kinder would take rackets and 'volley'. 

Another tip, some folks say they will not use treated lumber, latex painted, or oil painted.  All false.  But I have noted that they have not touched any of the milk painted woodwork. 

Sarah

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0