Dee

What have you planted?

8 posts in this topic

We're just getting started around here.  "They" tell us to wait until after Mother's Day in Northern Iowa but most of us can't stand the wait and begin as soon as it warms up.  We sometimes lose things and often have to cover things but after a brutal cold winter the suns warmth is too inviting to ignore.

So, I've put out 5 tomato plants, 2 hills of cucumbers, a package of sugar snap peas, 1 green pepper plant and radishes.  More will go out in a couple of weeks but it's been in the 70's off and on for a week and 82 yesterday so how could I not get started? :) 

I've also planted three 60' rows of flower seeds in front of the house.  Cleome in the back, cosmos in the middle and zinnias in the front.  All in purples and whites.  I had plans to make it bright and colorful with all shade of colors but somewhere along the line I ended up with purples. I'm not quite sure when or why I changed but we'll hope it's pretty. 

What have you done?

1 person likes this

Went visiting near Dallas, more than a whole ag zone north of my usual.  Wisteria was still blooming there.  Planted some sweet basil, some of a spicier kind of basil, a sweet frying pepper, cayenne, rosemary, Mr Stripey tomato, chocolate cherry tomato, lupine, white begonia in the deepest shade, pineapple sage, and lots and lots of magenta moss rose.  Something I'm forgetting, too.

At home, we still have one or two meals worth of this winter's new potatoes.  The new year's day planting worked very well.  Next year plan to do one wave then, another wave on the traditional valentines day.  The first of the cherry tomatoes should be ripe by nightfall or first thing in the morning.  Also planted a bucket with Jaune Flamme, because the library was giving away free seeds, and a bucket of some kind of dwarf tomato that I've never tried before.

Cleome and cosmos are two flowers I can count on all summer.  It will be beautiful, Dee.

Edited by Ambergris

This year I planted piquin chilis, tomatillos, cabbage, radishes, thyme, oregano, zucchini, parsnips, tomatos, walking spinach, marigolds, petunias and red onions. And started potato eyes in a container. The parsnips, oregano, and petunias died in the heat. 1 thyme and 3 marigold seeds sprouted. 

Last years camomile spread like a weed. Beets, carrots and celery are blooming fantastically. I am hoping to collect a plethora of seeds when I get back home. Even the radishes, I didn't pick are blooming. 

All the seeds were heirloom non-gmo, so I will be able to replenish my seed storage. 

1 person likes this

My garden is all in lick tubs.  Planted tomatoes, poblanos, jalapenos in tubs and plenty of string beans in an old watering tank.

2 people like this

Horticultural note:  I have killed dozens and dozens of leaf-footed nymphs and one leaf-footed adult on my jaune flamme tomatoes.  Three of the fruit have been ruined by them.  None of the fruit has ripened in an edible state.  I have not seen a single nymph or adult on either of the other tomatoes.

Now the question is whether the jaune flamme is good enough as a trap plant to justify itself, because I don't think I'll ever get to taste anything from it.

Wow...is it normal to have an attack on a single variety like that?  You pose a good question.  Does that plant draw them from the neighbors too?  :unsure:

MtRider  :lois:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I've seen it on roses.  Some were bug magnets and some not.  I'm guessing this one draws the bugs away from the others, because otherwise they should have had some visitation.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor