Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dogmom4

Solar Cooking

6 posts in this topic

The lowest temperature this summer for us had been 92 degrees....the highest 108. :knary:   It's just been too hot to cook inside  so I broke out the solar oven for delicious ribs. Anyone else using the energy of the sun?

IMG_0858.JPG

2 people like this

For baking potatoes, yes.

Has anyone ever tried making rice in one? I'm curious about the texture.

I make converted rice usually.  The other rice was too soft, like I'd used too much water.

1 person likes this

Today the high is supposed to be 104...it's 100 right now. Way to hot to cook inside. I put my solar cooker outside at 10:30 to heat up. It went from zero to 250 in 20 minutes. I did another batch of short ribs I got from our local Savemart in the discount bin. $2 for each package. I bought five and threw some in the freezer. Also cooked up some garlic rolls that I have in the freezer.  In a conventional cooker they take about 6 to 7 minutes.  In the solar cooker I checked after 10 minutes and then flipped them over so they could brown a bit.  It took about 23 minutes for them to be ready. 

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

2 people like this

We have the Son Oven, and love it.  Just haven't used it this year, since it's at the homestead and we don't want to leave it sitting out while we're not there.

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0