MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

Full solar eclipse...RURR?

Mt_Rider   

http://www.newsweek.com/solar-eclipse-space-national-disaster-solar-eclipse-prep-643766

If you are in the ZONE...or if you'll be traveling to the ZONE.....are you really ready to handle the bazillions of other folks being there too? 

I hadn't thot of that huge number of visitors on the prowl for the 2+ minutes of this admittedly REMARKABLE solar event. :) We're not in the totality ZONE but we're close enough to get a lot of effects.  Not traveling to see more.  But my friend in MO lives in the ZONE and I just emailed this to her.  Aiieeee!  They are likening it to a hurricane evac!

Expecting all systems to be overloaded...including communications.... 

Kieserman says the Red Cross will use ham radio to communicate when cellphone networks inevitably go down, but its staff and volunteers working on emergency response will have some access to top-priority emergency cell channels.

Given all the hoopla involved in preparing for the event, how should eclipse gypsies get ready? Experts say pack enough food and water in your car in case you’re stuck in gridlock traffic for hours, print out directions since GPS (especially Google Maps) likely won’t be an option and know where you’re staying at night. Don’t wing it and expect to find a hotel room the day before the eclipse, or you may end up in an emergency shelter or sleeping in your car.

“Please come prepared,” says Denise Germann, National Park Service spokeswoman for Grand Teton National Park. Also, “come with your patience.”

MtRider  .....not gonna be right there!  B)

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

Jeepers   

Sheesh. I'm not in the zone. Thank goodness. I just looked and the 21st. is on a Monday so I'd imagine some folks will be partying Fri. Sat. and Sun. leading up to the big event. If I did live in the zone, the only preparations I'd make would be to hunker down in my home from Fri. through Tuesday. And try to call off work on Monday. Not prepping because of the sun but from strange people milling around and probably over consuming adult beverages.

I can just hear it now.

Billy Bob:  "Hey Bubba Bob, lets get drunk and look at the sun.

Bubba Bob: "Won't it hurt my eyes?"

Billy Bob:  "Naw, the man in the moon will protect our eyes. It's his job today."

Bubba Bob: Well hot dang. Pop me another cold one and lets git to squintin' "

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Mt_Rider   

:rolleyes: 

Unfortunately....there will be ignorant, stupid and cognitively impaired.....  :sigh:    I hope they have the sense to keep their kids safe....  Are they doing public service announcements about this?

MtRider  B)

Annarchy   

All that for an eclipse?  Good grief. 

Jeepers you you made me laugh. :008Laughing:

Vic303   

We are traveling up to KS for the eclipse.  Our old hometown is right on the edge of totality.  It's 30+miles from anything!  Should be about perfect, assuming it isn't cloudy.

• Like 1

Mt_Rider   

Add wildfires....record heat.....very dry, combustible conditions to...... massive crowds seeking to participate in Oregon's solar show of the century....

:hidingsmile:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/oregon-officials-fear-unprepared-eclipse-visitors-could-lead-to-wildfire-disaster/70002368

Everyone in those wildfire areas.....please be careful.  And be VIGILANT about other folks too! 

MtRider B)

Jeepers   

Another problem in the wildfire states might be all of the visitors. A lot of people who don't live in in those areas don't really realize just how dangerous they can be.

I've never lived in one of those areas so it never crosses my mind unless I happen to see it on the news.

Mt_Rider   

Definitely, Jeepers!  ....that's what I called the "other people"....

I almost had a heart attack when I was visiting in a much less arid state and the driver tossed out a cig butt.  :runcirclsmiley2:  That's something that is NEVER EVER done! 

[besides being gross littering!!!]  :pout:

4th of July here is a terrifying time.  Most of CO residents KNOW about campfires and fireworks and such.....but we have visitors from other WET places that clearly do NOT COMPREHEND the constant vigilance we have here.  :gaah:

MtRider  :buttercup:

Jeepers   

The cigarette example was the first thing to enter my mind too. To most of us it's "just" a little piece of litter. To you guys it could be a total loss of property.

Mt_Rider   

.....property.......community.....and life!

MtRider    :pray:  the solar visitors are extraordinarily COURTEOUS AND CAREFUL! 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.