MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Possum

Best ways to humanely slaughter rabbits

Possum   

Hi...

Been raising bunnies for about 10 years now for both show and meat. Just curious on how you ladies humanely slaughter rabbits. I have tried a few ways and have my preferred methods but always looking to learn more. 

Mt_Rider   

My life-long friend in MO moved to TINY town a couple years ago.  Gave up goats, horses, sheep, etc.  Kept chickens and recently began a meat rabbit operation.  I'll have to ask her how she does the deed.  :shrug:    Rabbits have always been a 'back up' plan for DH and I.  Nice and quiet....inconspicuous....meat source.  Have assorted cages, feeders, nest box....  But not the experience or all the data .....yet. 

What breed(s) do you have, Possum?

MtRider  .....got wild ones but none farmed.. 

Sarah   

The breeders that are pelt growers will gas them with carbon monoxide.  I would think that would 'taint' the meat.  I would be interested in your methods, Possum.

I've tried broomstick across the neck but had a heart-wrenching failure.  Tried a hopper whopper or whatever it was called--a v-shaped finger of metal you use to dislocate the neck, and it worked pretty well but getting a reluctant rabbit into it can take some wrestling. Whapping them in the head is NOT recommended.  I think I've had best luck with a .22 to the brain.  I've heard good things about the Arbalest.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.