MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Midnightmom

Free Online Database of Vintage Sewing Patterns

http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

83,500 VINTAGE SEWING PATTERNS PUT INTO ONLINE DATABASE FROM VOGUE, MCCALL’S, BUTTERICK, AND SIMPLICITY

Whether you’re an expert costume designer or have ever aspired to sew your own clothes, there is now a website with 85,300 vintage sewing patterns on it, including patterns by McCall’s, Vogue, Butterick, Simplicity, and many others. Because this database of vintage sewing patterns is a collective group effort, the number of patterns on it is constantly growing.

Many have fond memories of visiting the local fabric store with their mothers to sift through clothing patterns and remember when the sewing machine was just as much of a staple in the household as a computer is now. If you long to recreate those moments and sew your own clothes, the Vintage Patterns Wiki website has a massive selection of vintage sewing patterns available for you, none of which came after the year 1992.

Searching through these 83,500 vintage sewing patterns may sound like a daunting task, but it is actually much easier than you might think. For instance, if you hanker after a particular era of clothing and a style worn by specific people like Elizabeth Taylor or Audrey Hepburn, for example, you can search the database of vintage sewing patterns by decade.

Besides searching this online database of vintage sewing patterns by decade, you are also able to browse clothing by designer as well as the type of garment you are interested in, whether it is a dress, bathing suit, jacket, coat, blouse, pants, a costume, or general evening wear. You will even find a section devoted completely to seasonal sewing patterns.

• Thanks 2

Mt_Rider   

My mom got McCalls magazine when I was a child.  I loved it....cuz there was always a children's story and a paper doll corresponding with the story.  The doll and clothes to cut out and play with.  It's quite possible I still have some of them...tucked away with ancient memories in a box somewhere with a load of other paper dolls.  Why don't they have paper dolls anymore? 

MtRider  :)

58 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

Why don't they have paper dolls anymore? 

MtRider  :)

The liability issue from papercuts???   :24: :engel-smilies-10-1:  :24:

Seriously? Kids today don't have the imagination to play with them. :(

• Haha 1

Mt_Rider   

:lol:  papercut liability.....

To us, it's a humorous mockery....

But to some, it's potential income!  Ugh!

As for IMAGINATION....... that's not even a joke.  :(

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Annarchy   
1 hour ago, Midnightmom said:

The liability issue from papercuts???   :24: :engel-smilies-10-1:  :24:

:coffeescreen:

I remember my sister & I cutting them out and playing with them.  Awww.... the memories.....

Annarchy   

As a matter of fact, I was thinking about a pattern I made in my Freshman year Home Economic class.  It was a pair of overalls.  Turned out my sister took them over when I outgrew them.  She was still wearing them 20 years later.  Wow.... memories.  ^_^

Jeepers   

I played with paper dolls when I was a kid. I remember we would take the cardboard folders they came in and would make houses out of them for the dolls. I had one that came in a tri-fold folder. I think it was the Andrews Sisters? Not many came in tri-fold folders. Most were bi-fold. We would also take the folders and put them around our 'deeds and money" when we played Monopoly. That way no one could see what we owned or how much money we had...or didn't have. Nice memories.

I'm going to check out the patterns. I remember getting a Simplicity pattern and making all of my gowns when I knew I was scheduled for surgery in the 80's. I wore those things for years. I got about six different colors of seersucker and made them all alike.  It was so simple. Just a 'shift' like pattern. Or maybe it was a "sew easy' pattern. I should do that again...

Momo   

I was in the store looking at the Simplicity vintage pattern section and some were patterns I still have from high school. LOl.   I guess I'm old enough to be vintage now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.