MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Vic303

And for the East Coast crew... H.Irma?

Vic303   

Just a heads up to any of our folks on the east coast\ Current tracks show Irma growing into another major hurricane, and heading toward the east coast/Florida.  Keep an eye on this storm, and have your preps and plans in place and checked!  Keep your gasoline topped up too.

Edited by Vic303
  • Like 3

Mt_Rider   

Definitely.  Irma hasn't made up her mind on WHICH direction she'll go but.....lots of U.S. real estate in the possibility.  Also Caribbean...Bahamas, etc. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

kimba   

This could be my first hurricane on the island. Going over our hurricane plans with the kids that live with me and the one whose house we'll evac to if necessary. I've never had to evacuate a house before....it's kinda daunting. What to take, what can we move to the upstairs. What about the actual house - I mean it's rented but if there are precautions to take I'd like to do it.

Going to talk with the locals that weathered Sandy and see what advice they can give.

• Like 1

Mt_Rider   
9 hours ago, kimba said:

Going to talk with the locals that weathered Sandy and see what advice they can give.

That's probably a smart idea, Kimba.  And locals kinda like it when 'newbies' ask them!  :thumbs:

Hopefully Irma won't roar up your way.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Vic303   

HOpefully the owners, Kimba, have things like hurricane shutters (aka plywood sheets) to bolt over windows etc to help preserve the structure.

Kimba, you can't go wrong by buying a couple of boxes of 2.5 gallon slide-lock bags (they come a dozen to a box) and sliding your family/financial records into them now, long before the storm. The bags won't hold a huge picture album, but most other papers and books will fit.  While packing them, you will probably come to some conclusions about what to take and what to leave.

If you're going to stay (or might possibly stay) consider some duct tape and contractor-grade black garbage bags, if you can still get them.  Among other things, you can  line the toilet bowl with a bag, taping it in place, and collect your waste without using water to flush with.  This is far more comfortable (and less likely to tip over) than a toilet made out of a five-gallon bucket.  Being able to close off and replace a bag every day will do wonders for the liveability of a house without running water.  A container of baby wipes can also be a low-cost, high-return item.  

If you get the duct tape, drawing some Xes on the windows--all upstairs windows and the downstairs on the most exposed side may help cleanup, even if you're not personally responsible for dealing with any broken glass.  

For more money, you can use a construction site boom box to power your phones, fans, router, and other small items. Ours has been great in the last few blackouts.  Way cheaper and safer (and quieter, and less stinky) than a gas generator.  Less powerful too, but that's your trade-off.

• Like 1

kimba   

A little update here. I do have what I call my emergency binder. Basically it's a zippered 3 ring binder. In it are copies of all important documents. From birth certificates to social security cards to titles to our vehicles. This binder is to be grabbed in an bug-out/evac situation.The originals are in a fireproof/waterproof safe that will most likely remain here.

We had a fire meeting tonight, the chief discussed this and said that should this or any hurricane head for us we will be having meetings there to discuss prep and evacuations. Also spoke with the guy who rented this house before me (he's in the fire department too). He said that he has never had water in the house. The road out front and the front yard have been covered but no water has come in. The wind however is awful. 

I will be contacting the landlord about what hurricane precautions she has if any. My dad was here today and said he has plywood if I need it for the front sliding glass doors.

My daughter and I came up with a shopping list of what we need at both our houses. I mostly need more water, flashlights for the kids that are not on their phones lol and duct tape. I made a list of what I need to bring to my daughter's in the event we need to evacuate. I helped her with her food/prep list as well. They just moved in to a brand new house this past December so she's not fully prepped yet.  

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:10 PM, Ambergris said:

If you're going to stay (or might possibly stay) consider some duct tape and contractor-grade black garbage bags, if you can still get them.  Among other things, you can  line the toilet bowl with a bag, taping it in place, and collect your waste without using water to flush with.  This is far more comfortable (and less likely to tip over) than a toilet made out of a five-gallon bucket.  Being able to close off and replace a bag every day will do wonders for the liveability of a house without running water.  A container of baby wipes can also be a low-cost, high-return item. 

Very good idea!!! Might grab an extra box of trash bags and baby wipes.

Thanks for all the good advice everyone!!

Mt_Rider   

Kinda looking like you get a 'buy' with Irma.....warning to FL tho... :pray:   

Just a word about "fireproof" boxes....  A town in CO burned a few yrs ago.  I read some of the extensive first-hand reports.  One woman commented that wildfire in such forested areas as this was.....gets SO EXTREMELY HOT that the papers inside the "fireproof" boxes burned...tho the box didn't.   :shrug:  Not my story so I don't know but....perhaps it wouldn't happen in a mere house fire.  What I do know is that some fires in CO that burned thru some areas were so hot they sterilized the soil.  I've seen this....think 'moonscape'.  NOTHING LEFT. 

Anyway.....your issue is hurricane with water....but just to throw that in. 

Sounds like your community is really interested in being prepared for "weather"....which is great! 

MtRider  :shopping: 

Mt_Rider   

OK.....so H. IRMA is definitely a go for Florida.  ..... :unsure:  .....well, as "definitely" as one gets with unpredictable hurricanes! 

Ambergris....you're west so will you hopefully be out of the way?  I think my friends/relatives should head over to your side for the duration!   They're in the Orlando region.

We know Darlene's family is still down in Miami......  Pray for all of them.  :pray:

We have more from MrsS down that way.....but my Brain-Drain memory is not thinking of who.  [...a Kathy someone?] 

MtRider  :pray:  that it   S  L  O  W  S .......

Edited by Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider   
4 hours ago, Ambergris said:

The slower it moves, the worse the flooding gets.

Batten down, dear friend!!!  Thot you might be outta the way but sheeesh.....no one knows, do they?

Um....not traveling slowly like TX.  Ack!    But wind speed down to Cat 3 or 2 would be nice.  :pray:    Turning out to Atlantic would be even better!

MtRider  :grouphug:

Edited by Mt_Rider

It's been a hundred and fifty years since Tallahassee has seen winds like we could get this time.

Mt_Rider   

So....does this mean the Ambergris household will be one of the few who are clearly thinking of PREPPING?   Will the others say:  Nope, never hits us here:pout:  ???

MtRider  :runcirclsmiley2:

Jeepers   

I couldn't sleep so I was watching some Youtube videos of people prepping for Irma. Water is pretty much gone everywhere. One guy said that,  "The stores are not prepared for this."  I was thinking, "No, YOU were not prepared for this."  Some people were saying that they have prepared for other hurricanes yet they were waiting until the last minute in a panic to find water...again.

Some of the comments about what people stocked up on (which I usually don't read) were so rude. Mostly people bashing others for their food choices saying they are going to die because they didn't buy all organic and their food had GMO's in them and full of...gasp...meat. Well yeah, in a perfect world but these people were grabbing anything shelf stable to keep alive for the next few days. And who knows, maybe they were already stocked up on long term food storage and were going for perishables to eat right away before dipping into the harder to prepare food.

If you and your kids eat an occasional can of Spaghetti-o's and a can of beef stew, then by all means grab a case of each to keep from starving. Assuming you can find any left. But the shelves were already bare.

Sending prayers to all in the path.  :pray:

Mt_Rider   

My cousin was laughing at her kids yesterday [tho really she's quite worried as it heads for Orlando!]   She wrote me and said..."they're out of bread :rolleyes: and stores are sold out or closed".  But her dd's MIL was there for the duration and she was going to bake bread!  Yea for MIL!  That was yesterday.  They did fill freezer with containers of water and made as much ice as possible.  Planned to fill bathtubs.  My cousin is in Iowa.....glued to TV and cell phone, likely.  

Steve Harris has tons of videos [some free] about making just ANYTHING to eat that's simple and uses ....gasp, flour, salt, water, etc.  Has a cinnamon/sugar dumpling thing.   He's been telling people BEFORE THE STORM......go wash out containers and fill with water before your city shuts off!  Bake bread and meals now.  Make snacks now while utilities are still functioning. 

How do we turn this generation from PANIC BUYING/WHINING AT LAST MINUTE :shopping: to PANIC BAKING?   :cook:     One household got this message this time.  :)

MtRider  :pray:

• Like 2

Mt_Rider   

Aaack.....that is horrific!  So sorry to hear that.... :(

.....a lot going on these day that is just nasty   ....and some that is inspiring.   Gotta take big gulps of inspiring to survive the rest of it...

MtRider  :sigh:

• Like 1

Thank you.  We got her in the year of four hurricanes.  She was (probably) our eldest.  In the white patches, her fur was so soft and fine it would float like dust motes.  She was annoyingly clingy.  And I miss her.

• Sad 2

Jeepers   
21 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

Thank you.  We got her in the year of four hurricanes.  She was (probably) our eldest.  In the white patches, her fur was so soft and fine it would float like dust motes.  She was annoyingly clingy.  And I miss her.

I'm sure you miss her very much.  Darn little fuzz balls sure have a way of softening our heart.  :hug3:

17 hours ago, Ambergris said:

pet-sympathy-pet-loss-card13.gif

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.