MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Mt_Rider

H. IRMA.....Darlene's in Miami

Mt_Rider   

Obviously we're all praying that Irma is blown out to sea.  .....it could happen.  :unsure:   Not looking good tho, is it?  If it roars up FL and the eastern coast, it's going to be baaaad.

Darlene's family was in a bind.  Her dad is at a funeral and not in FL.  Her mom is fairly disabled....so Darlene went down to stay with her.  Also to bring down generators, and other supplies....since FL is cleaned out.  She's just arrived...I talked to her by phone.  Said YES, please let MrsS friends know to pray!

So 2 brothers, Darlene, and her mom are in Miami.  They're setting up in the safest places they can.  They have supplies and all of them went thru Andrew, way back when....  They're experienced. 

But Irma is a monster.  Darlene would very much appreciate all prayers for her and her family.  Her son and dd are up in GA...taking care of the farm/animals. 

--My cousins's dd, husband, 2 small kids are near Orlando. 

--My CO friend lives near there too....haven't heard if she's evacuating.  Good time to visit CO, I think! 

--Ambergris and Kathy are down there too. Others from MrsS??   :grouphug:

Oh Heavenly Father, we ask for Your mercy for all the folks dealing with the effects of H.Harvey.  Be with those who mourn and are injured/ill.  And now we turn toward eastward and pray for all those island nations that have been hit.  We pray for those in need right now, that aid will be able to get through to them.  That you will strengthen them as they dig out and repair.  But we pray that as Florida and the other coastal states prepare for Irma's arrival, we ask that you give Your own Wisdom.  That what needs to be where, is done.  That who needs to be where , is done.  Give us Your hand of protection....in Your mercy, because You love all of us frail human beings.  Especially as we cry out to You.  Give people a calm and generous spirit to deal with what needs to be done in these final days/hours before landfall.  Watch over those we love....In Jesus Name.

MtRider  :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

Annarchy   

My little brother, was in San Antonio for Harvey.  They were packing to move to Moody AFB.  I was giving him a hard time the other day, because he has to deal with another hurricane.  They found a place near the GA/FL border.  He said they didn't box their emergency supplies, so they are good to go - sorta.  The AFB was bringing in pallets of water for their people.  He said the stores were sold out and gasoline was almost gone too.

Cat   

My two male cousins (brothers) stayed in Miami while their children and a wife and another relative moved to a safer area.   Our prayers are with all the people in the path of this, and the other storms,  as well as the horrible wildfires affecting places out West.  :pray:

gofish   

Some friends were on a cruise. the ship pushed hard to get back to Florida and made it 3  hours ahead of schedule. Another friend found them a rental car as they were planing to stay a few days in Florida before flying home. They should have been home by now but with all the traffic they are just outside of Atlanta. They said finding food and fuel is spotty at best and they were only doing 31 mph with all the traffic.

:pray: For everyone.

It took my stepmom 18 hours to do a 9 hour drive from FL to GA.  I may have friends from my hometown coming here and stopping on their way to CO.  I hope they're well on their way by now.  Haven't heard from them since this morning.

And will definitely continue to pray for Darlene and family!

• Like 1

Mt_Rider   

RE: Darlene.....

She mashed her toes while helping get the generator out of her truck at her brother's place.  :( 

:lol:  Her comment was...if you're praying....pray harder!    Good for humor in the tension.  However since it was a trailer that rolled over them, they might have actual damage..... suggested ice/elevation, of course.  Hope she has an ice chest full of block ice....

GA was becoming stripped of the usual Hurricane supplies even as she was gathering stuff to go down there.  I think she got the generator from TN...?  I hope Irma has spent out before even getting to the GA line.

Wow...Annarchy's brother and a double dose of hurricanes.  :wacko:

I'll just bet those cruise ships hurried outta the way!  Can you imagine going thru a bad one in a cruise ship.  :o

Pray for Cat's menfolk cousins....staying to hold down the fort.  .....thinking that holding down the fort might be overrated but menfolk often do just that!  :shrug:

:amen: It is good to hear that traffic northbound is still moving, if slowly.  Glad to hear of so many who are outta dodge by now!   :amen:

God, we ask that you protect those that are traveling thru this night and tomorrow.  Especially those with children, elderly, and frail ones.  We ask that their vehicles hold together, that they are able to find gas, and that they are attentive to their driving among so many others.  :pray:

MtRider  ....sheeeesh, our infrequent mountain flash floods, wildlife, and winter blizzards are starting to sound real tame about now....  aiiiiee!

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

My friends are planning on leaving this afternoon.  Talk about waiting until the last minute.  But they are guys.  Hoping to take some smaller State or US roads rather than the interstate.  Will probably be here tomorrow.

Most I know in FL are staying.  I would have too as our home was not in any evac area. 

Sure sorry about Darlene's foot!  Hope she can get some relief!

Edited by snapshotmiki
adding info

Mt_Rider   

Darlene's toes are 'black'.  But it's not like she has to option to go to her doctor....or even an ER.  [CAN you even IMAGINE all the ER's in Miami, etc right now? ]  Foot painful but she's still walking so she's hoping it's just bruises.  They're all as ready as possible. 

Here's what she said:

The winds should be picking up serious tonight and tonight will be the mass of the hurricane so I'll keep you posted when you can. If you could keep everyone on mrss updated I would be very grateful for their prayers

I'll keep y'all posted as she's able to keep me posted.  If cell towers go down..... :shrug:

MtRider  :pray:

• Thanks 3

Praying harder, and put all my heavenly friends on it as well....

Mt_Rider   

Haven't heard more......

Oddly, the email I THOT I had sent back to her yesterday, showed that it didn't SEND...  So, I just sent it [again?]  just now....I think.  :scratchhead:

She's sending thru her phone so when cell towers go down.......  :shrug:  .....then we wait.

MtRider  :pray:

Mt_Rider   

Well I did get 2 emails from Darlene this morning.  Yes, we are having trouble getting thru.  I haven't heard since but this is what I know:

She and her mom are fine.  There is still electricity where they are staying....[didn't stay in her parent's home].  But it might be a generator???  Their wind was supposed to be 100 mph with gusts in Miami.  I haven't seen that much...no TV.  She'd like to go home now, but  I don't know when she'll plan to/be able to do that.  The rain/wind continues into Georgia, tho diminished. 

In Orlando....my cousin's dd/family...they're fine.  Branches/shingles.  75 mph.  Their area did not lose electric!  That's nice.  I haven't heard from my friend from CO but she was near Orlando area.  Assume she's ok.  She's in small town area and might have lost electric.  Don't know yet.

MtRider  :pray:     Prayers for the electric linemen and everyone at risk in clean-up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jeepers   

This is from Darlene to Mt.Rider. Mt. Rider was having problems posting.

Got a quick phone call from Darlene.  A land line phone, I'm assuming.  Says they moved back into her parent's house......and their neighborhood was one of few that is blessed with electricity.  Sounds like it's pretty bad but having a home base with electric .....makes things so much more doable!  They have zero Internet/cell service.  Towers likely down.  Anyone who didn't keep a land line.....has no communication. 

She and her brothers are doing the usual clearing of trees, limbs, brush.  Says her toes are quite painful, but what do you do? 

Yeah, it's survival time for them.  I'm soooo glad they have electricity since her mom's health is not good. 

I still haven't heard from my friend north of Orlando.  Her cell service has always been spotty.  :shrug:  :pray:

MtRider  ....daily report from Darlene.  :happy0203:  Keep praying cuz clean up time is a disaster all it's own!!!!  :pray:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jeepers said:

This is from Darlene to Mt.Rider. Mt. Rider was having problems posting.

Got a quick phone call from Darlene.  A land line phone, I'm assuming.  Says they moved back into her parent's house......and their neighborhood was one of few that is blessed with electricity.  Sounds like it's pretty bad but having a home base with electric .....makes things so much more doable!  They have zero Internet/cell service.  Towers likely down.  Anyone who didn't keep a land line.....has no communication. 

And to think AT&T is pushing everyone to get rid of their hard-wired phones and go wireless!!!  <_<

• Like 1

Mt_Rider   

Yeppers, Midnight.   My thots exactly. 

Also....make sure you have a CORDED {not cordless} telephone set back for when you lose electric.  Plug in that old Princess model phone  and you have communication!

MtRider :shakinghead:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

My DF and DSM fled from Orlando to Denver!  While I was blinking over that news, saw three other people I knew relocate from the Orlando area to ... Denver.  My guess is there was an airline with some good prices for that flight.

Mt_Rider   

Ambergris, Probably a flight that WANTED  to fill up fast and get outta dodge!  :o

I just heard from my friend in central FL.  N of Orlando.  But it's more rural than Orlando.  She reports:

A SIDE NOTE:  THIS IS THE 2ND TIME THE [  quote  ] has not worked right....it's incorportating way more than I'm quoting.....does not stop at the [  /quote  ]  Any help for this?  EDIT does n't offer a solution either.  :shrug:

NOTE:  Friend's report is in " " ....and the rest of the alleged quote is mine....  :buttercup:

"The house is still here. Have to go up on the roof to check it but it's too hot.

Still no power, sewer, or water. Staying at a friend's until it comes on."

I am glad to hear she's fine but they are enduring hot/humid weather with no utilities.  She's in a community trailer park where she got to know so many great folks that she stopped returning to CO for the summers and just bought a place there.  I'm sure everyone is helping everyone, from what she'd told me about the place. 

No further word from Darlene at this time....   Likely hear when 1) she heads home to GA ....or 2)  when cell service/Internet is restored.

MtRider  ...thanks again for continued prayers. :pray:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Jeepers   

I heard something about an airline that was offering  $99.00 flights out of Florida right before Erma hit. I don't remember the details though.

This is from a person who has one of 'our' service dogs in Florida. I'm leaving out the personal info to protect their privacy.

I am  in SW Florida. The hurricane didn't do any damage to our houses. However my parents and I were ordered to evacuate and went to an evac shelter sat afternoon, where my dad got sick. At around 11pm I called 911. The worst part of the storm had not started. Unfortunately my dad had multiple pulmonary embolisms and died right in front of us. The EMTs worked on him and got him to the hospital but once the clots moved he was essentially dead. My 10 yr old dane was the most well behaved dog in the whole shelter including all the other service dogs. When they were working on my dad, my dogs best buddy, he laid at attention on his mat and didn't move or say a word. He did not take his eyes off my dad. Its like he knew something was wrong. We were there for 48 hours, almost 24 on lockdown, no communication or news, knowing my dad was dead, with a storm outside that we thought might be destroying our homes. It was pretty horrible but I had a comforting dog next to me and so did everyone else in our section, including the children who came to see him for pets and hugs. My dog didn't have one accident, didn't pant or get anxious. He helped me up and down the steps very slowly just like the best of them. He was such a trooper.

• Sad 2

Mt_Rider   

Scary place and time to have a major medica issue.  Awful.  :( 

... the dogs sense a lot that's around them, for sure. 

MtRider   :pray: for that family with their loss.  At 10, that's an older Dane too..... 

Jeepers   

10 is old for a Dane. Their life span is between 8-10. They are usually retired around that time too. This dog must have been one of the first to be placed. The cameras didn't go live until 2012 so it was before the 'camera people' time.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.