MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a pre diabetic, I check twice a day...when I check. Before I eat anything in the morning and 2 hours after a meal. My Dr. told me that was enough to get a good read on an empty stomach and 2 hours of digesting. Keeping in mind I'm NOT diabetic, only possibly heading in that direction. I usually check it twice a week now to keep on top of things or if I have that burning feeling (neuropathy?) on my leg I'll check it. I'm always within the normal to high normal range so I don't obsess over it, but do check it twice a week to make sure.

Wow

The 'new' electric meters such as the OneTouch, work based on the different electro isotopes of iron oxide. They react differently with magnesium, potassium, and (argh! Can not remember the third!). ferro/ferric/ferrus oxide. If the patient has retention issues of these three minerals, the meters can be greatly skewed.

That's almost scary, if you do not know you have retention issues, the results would be skewed?

NOTE: If you have had a 'crash', below forty on the standardized range, or 'high', above 400, then any 'new' a1c meter usually WILL will give a false reading for that period, aka 90 days. A dKa too.

The daily meters also skew due to this. This shows the fallacy of a medical clinic using a standard test to monitor a gentle let down from dKa. Most EMTs do not know this. I have sat through several a dKa let down, visiting, and bit my toungue when the patient was told 'when you get down to 150...'

What does dKa stand for? What does a1c stand for?

...and you are saying if my meter results are too high or too low, it won't work right after that?

Anarchy,

(sorry, something seems wrong with the quote function)

>>> What does dKa stand for? What does a1c stand for?

dKa: diabetic ketoacidosis. The body, in distress, not having enough glucose and other sugars in the blood stream will turn on the body. First it eats up the fat. This makes the blood more acidic. Then it turns on the muscle. Hence 'the wasting sickness'. This is also why aspart insulins are by prescription only. Lantis type insulins, in many states do not require a prescription. A body builder could take three to five units of an aspart, (depending on person) and the body would counter. A few such cycles, with six hours between, and they are 'ripped'.

NOTE: dKa is not just diabetes. Normally, yes. It is the body turning on itself, several things can trigger.

a1c: I do not know the meaning, but it measures the average glucose level over a rough three month period. There are now standardized, measurement and scales wise. This is an electo-chemical electro-isotope test, similar to the standard glucometers, but expressed as a percentage. The older form of a1c was a visual spectrum test where they actually measured the thickness of the glucose coating on the hemoglobin. I am not sure of the figures, let me check...

"Diabetes is officially diagnosed with an a1c of 6.5 percent. This middle ground between 5.7 and 6.4 percent is called prediabetes. This means that a person with an a1c in this range is at high risk for eventually being diagnosed with diabetes if changes are not made to lower the glucose levels in the bloodstream."

The modern meters may also report 'keytones'. It used to be that the doctor was required to ask if you ever had such a reading before taking blood for a1c.

>>> That's almost scary, if you do not know you have retention issues, the results would be skewed?

Retention issues, and high/low, or dKa skews any electrolytic a1c for that 90 day period for anyone. This is one reason that a doctor is REQUIRED to ask if any highs or lows prior to taking blood for the a1c.

Standard glucometers, yes and no. Genetics again. For us, yes.

General update: There is an update on the figure of what part of the population has invalid readings with an modern glucometer. It was 2.7%. Abbot now claims 2.5%, with the Precision eXtra with the latest rom, according to the latest sales flyer.

Hope for us? Now, all of our juveniles take the old 'glucose tolerance test'. If hinky in any way, the pre-pubesent juvenile will take a small, 25% rda, supplement of the various minerals. This experiment has not been active long enough to tell any true results. The suspicion is that the damage is done back then, and making sure they are in retention norms during this period will offset the chance of 'the wasting sickness'.

Sarah

Edited by Sarah

Update.

I am very busy today. We are having our quarterly 'peak-up' of our medical folks, and we support other enclaves (shhh... and two of the counties' volunteer units). This is where they come in, and get their credentials updated (Red Cross, AMA, First Responder ®)(does the circle r work here?), some common 'emt pack' supplies are updated (bulk purchase saves money), etc. This time we have 'Doc El' with us, who is always welcome, she has a doctorate in emergency medicine.

I posted in the meeting room, on one of the 'white boards', "If the ADA says that an a1c of 6.5 is the clinical definition of diabetes, how does hyperglycemia work into ths system?"

This morning, as I was opening up, I found my reply. "It does not. Hyper and Hypoglycemia are now discounted concepts and terms."

I added a followon question. "Do the hypoglycemics still get perscribed the gluco shots?"

Will respond back with the answer, if any.

Sarah

Edited to add: No, the ® for the circled R, for registered trademark did not work.

Edited by Sarah

actually, as a type 2 who is diet controlled, I can do frequent testing at appropriate time to make sure I am not messing it up , especially when working solely diet controlled it is a good idea, until one gets a handle on things but things can go low or high anyway, there are many other factors that affect BS than food intake/carbs. Plus things can deteriorate further and when someone like the VA only give you one test strip for every 3 days testing , that is JUST BUNK. So, like me, you may have to purchase them yourselves to make sure you can monitor yourself to an appropriate degree. Edging down from 130 BS to 115 , in the long run, or lower , 80-110 is great if one can if they are able to through diet. It does help cut down on complications.. but even these rates and my average of 167 when they first admitted to me that I was type 2 as far as they were concerned , like neuropathy still occur. possibly eyes, retinopathy exams are important, kidney and bladder infections or more serious kidney issues can be more frequent, itchy skin, slow healing or skin ulcers are still things that need attention. Fatigue, blurry eyes at odd times, finding out what helps that stuff helps in general and it helps your own longevity and ability to keep functioning.

Interesting about the meters testing other elements ( mineral levels mostly, I think you posted on Sarah.)

You would think I'd know more about all this because of my family.

This information you all are posting, is making me concerned. The only time I test, is when I do not feel right.

Maybe when I get back from my trip this month, I may ask the Dr to re-test me. It has been a few years.

I thought I posted here yesterday but it's not here. I suggested checking our Dr. Neal Barnard at www.pcrm.org. Lots of diabetes info. Also google Brenda Davis. She's a dietician who led a research study of diabetics on Marshall Islands. I don't know if she has a web site but she's written severa excellent books.

I was diagnosed about 10 years ago. It runs in my family and I am also overwieght. I took pills for about 6 years and they helped some. I didn't want to go to insulin because in my mind I thought I could work hard and prevent needing insulin. About 3 years ago I went on insulin. It is very expensive! (The only inexpensive types are two older formulations that WalMart sells.)

Last November i went on a very low carb diet. I lost about 45 pounds since and have cut the amount of insulin I use by nearly half. A few diabetics I know online say to eat by your meter..don't follow any fads or Dr. advice. The reading is what lets you know what works for you. (Nowadays most Dr.s say healthy carbs are ok.)

My best friend had the gastric bypass and the next day she was taken off all her meds for everything including diabetes. Unfortunately she died from a heart attack a few months later due to her electrolytes being mesed up from poor nutrition.

I agree, I got my A1C down from 10. something to 4. something by just diet. Low carbs, no rice, potatoes, noodles etc. Although eating eggs, cheese etc. my cholesterol went up but you can control that with krill oil or Fish oil supplements. Heck every ones don't have to be under 200 either. One size don't fit all. I lost some weight as well, 60 pounds. Also I think the blood sugar needs to be checked one hour after eating instead of 2 hours to see what the food you are eating is doing to your blood sugar. I KNOW Dr's say 2 but when you do it 1 hour that way you can see if the food you are eating is running it up. By 2 hours it's already starting to fall if you're on meds.

A lot of talk about diabetes here recently. About 2 weeks ago a woman I know tripped up her daughters step while going inside. She hurt her foot and the next day went to the doctor. He did something to it like wrap it up and she had to go back in a week for surgery and get it set. I don't remember why he didn't fix it right away. Possibly swelling, or wound or other issues. She went in the hospital and had the surgery to fix the foot. While there, the foot was not healing correctly. Now it isn't healing at all and they are talking staph infection. After a lot of tests they found out she is also diabetic and that is causing her foot to not heal. Two days ago her daughter posted that there is a slight possibility she might lose her foot.

So, just a little misstep led to surgery and a battle with hospital staph and the discovery that she is a diabetic and now might lose a foot.

I know all to well accidents happen, but try to stay out of hospitals as much as you can, if there is even a hint that you could be a diabetic or even pre diabetic...get proactive and do something now before you find out the hard way.

On a personal note this has been a very difficult year for her. She lost her son to a horrible alcohol related accident and she was just starting to live a little bit again. So I'm sure this will be a major set back for her. Also, she won a free trip to the dog farm for next week where people are gathering from all over the world for a meet and greet, and now she can't go to that.

Just reading that AMA is requesting that doctors put anyone that has been diagnosed with diabetes on Statins. There are a lot of bad things about statins and one is that they cause diabetes.

As each person is different they need to carefully watch their diet. What spikes your sugar may not spike mine one person said brown rice ,just one spoonful will skyrocket his.

Your glcemic chart is what is important.

Know your doctor....remember that they make no money on a well person....

Sassenach, one strip every three days? I have two type 1 vets who use VA (Martinsburg) in this enclave. They have, by endocrinologist prescription, no limit on 'supplies', which includes strips. And no copay, so free. Shipped. I know this as the Librum also includes the enclave PMO that they ship to. (Private Mail Office). Also the insulins come in those cute little ice chests, but those are copay ($9 a vial?). Why they would 'cut you back', I have no idea. If $ an issue, would suggest you try them again.

Again, I am type 1 centric, so the ins and outs of type two are not well known to me. Maybe they do limit 2's.

Anarchy, now the 'at home' test kits are more available, cheaper, and more accurate. No need to visit Doctor for the test. But again, be advised of the limitations / hidden gotchas. Again, they are not effective for us.

Twilight, the 'push a pill' syndrone. I have sometimes wondered if the American medical system is so badly broken, that we have to 'bail it out' by mandatory health insurance, if it can survive. One person I know wrote that said medical costs could well be the 'trigger' for a second revolution. (third?) His brother is a doctor, but has such a large school debt that, well, he will be paying for most of his career, so I do not blame the doctors. Why should any American incur such debt to be a doctor? And we wonder why so many are foreign born and trained. Broke.

Momo, I am thinking the Walmart insulins you mention are 'pig' insulins, 'N' and 'R', which are not effective for my people. I think the the modern rDNA types are cheaper. Or should be, considering the manufacturing costs.

Some of the comments above about bringing the a1c down via diet and life changes reinforces my opinion that setting the clinical definition of diabetes as 6.5+ on an a1c test is bunk, and 'push a pill'.

Oh, and I did not get an answer to my reply question about hypoglycemics and glucose injections. I know no hypos.

Twilight, more 'push a pill'. I have often wondered at how many drugs are being tested on type 2's. So many recalls and court suits.

Jeepers, yes, a slight injury can case major issues due to poor blood circulation. That is why one person I know wears 'shin guards' under her dress, and uses only thick, as in cushiony, socks she knits herself, more padding against injury. And you can buy, medical, what struck me as dirt bike racer shin guards. Stray thought... perhaps we should bring back the high laced boots for women I wore in my youth?

Sarah

• 3 weeks later...

I gave my word in a private message that if I found the reference about herbals for type 2 diabetics, I would send it. I stumbled across part of it, but now can not remember who it was. Nor have I located the original internet site, or the name of 'JJ'. But it might give a good starting point for research by some type 2s here.

Cite is

"Jeremiah Johnson is the Nom de plume of a retired Green Beret of the United States Army Special Forces (Airborne). Mr. Johnson was a Special Forces Medic, EMT and ACLS-certified"

-break-

There are several herbal foods that may help those suffering with Type II Diabetes.

Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) is a hypoglycemic herb that has reduced urine sugar levels by 50%. Fenugreek can be taken as capsules, tinctures or decoctions of seeds. Pregnant women must avoid it, as it is a uterine stimulant.

Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) is also a hypoglycemic and it increases insulin production. The leaves are the primary source for help with the diabetes; leaf infusion can be taken as an adjunct to control it.

Goat’s Rue (Galega officinalis) affects blood sugar and actually enlarges the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas that make insulin. Be advised:A possible interaction exists with hypoglycemic medication. Goat’s Rue should not be used by diabetics currently maintained with commercial pharmaceutical hypoglycemics.”

-break-

The first two foods are available in health food stores, on Amazon or in your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart. As with all things, pay attention to the instructions on the label. A good thing they may be used for: as an adjunct to your emergency kit should supplies of insulin or medication be interrupted (such as by hurricane, shortage, etc).

Edited by Sarah

All they issue to me and most here in the Albany ny region to type 2's not on insulin, is 1 strip per 3 days. They refuse to give me more and minimum if you are really watching it correctly is 6 tests a day. I buy my own via amazon. Much cheaper than local pharmacy. Much!

Sassenach, I am not doubting your verasity, but I have trouble believing that. How do they limit the prescription? Standard box or vial of strips is 50 count. For one strip every three days, that would be... umm... eleven strips a month? Do they 'break pack'?.. Well, I am glad you have an alternate source of supply. Keep fighting for your needs. Sarah

I guess you dont follow the news on the corruption and laziness and how many vets have died waiting for appointments. Cat knows all about what I went through with one episode in a visit to the VA. Its all I have though but it is still deplorable. They use many methods to dissuade you from making them do their jobs they are all well enough paid to do. I am simply lucky to be alive as a result of the last 11 years in my region.

I think/hope it is per region. The year after my DH died due to the treatment he got and did not get, because so many vets died for too little a reason and a storm of protests broke out from the survivors, think lawsuits... there was a major shakedown of that VA hospital......135 doctors were fired.

That program, or something similar, has been effect for over 50 years. I can remember my Aunts family being enrolled in it in the 1960's when she and her kids lived in a small town when her husband was deployed in Japan. I also used it once while husband was in the A.F. and we were on leave in a small town. There was a travel restriction. You had to live so many miles from a military facility. You still had to check in with them every so often...something like once a year. It was a loooong time ago. Things have probably changed since then especially with Obama Care etc. I think it was called CHAMPUS or something like that.

I remember I was about 3 months pregnant and we were home on leave in a very small town and over 60 miles from a military base. I was having severe headaches and went to my doctor that I always went to as a teen. I explained my situation to him and he wouldn't see me because he said, "There's nothing in it for me." Forty-five years later and I still remember those exact words. I guess the military didn't reimburse as well as a civilian company.

Many years later my then husband made me promise that when he became older, that I would never put him in a military (VA) hospital. That was one promise I gladly accepted. His brother died in one from brain cancer. They did years of psych. evaluations and FINALLY did an MRI. No, he wasn't mentally ill. Two tours in Viet Nam in the 1960's, agent orange...nuff said.

VA refused to pay the bills at the private hospital where my husband died.That hospital was 92 miles from where we lived, the VA hospital he had been going to was 135 miles.

I do not like what I am hearing about the VA. I have been in almost constant contact with them for the last 3 years. I know if I had not had an excellent Veteran Service Officer, I could have been out on a limb with my sister.

Jeepers, you are right, the VA ignored the plea of those tormented by Agent Orange until too many of them died.

But the VA is made up of individuals, if your paperwork went to a caring considerate person , you got one thing, if it went could careless one, tough luck . Just as some are working through requests in a timely manner and you might get a quick response.......if they aren't you won't.

OK I'm reading some statements that are confusing and outdated. Please make sure if you are diabetic you are getting your information on treatment from your Dr's office or endocrinologist. See a nutritionist as they will give you an individualized plan to ensure you maximize your benefit from diet. I teach my patients the basics by starting with the diabetic plate. Cutting out all refined sugars, half a plate of non-starchy vegetables, 3 oz lean protein at every meal, 1/3-1/2 C whole grains or other complex carbohydrates or starchy vegetables at each meal, 2 8 oz servings of dairy daily, 2 servings of fruit (volume will vary depending on sugar content)daily.

The Docs at my office have their type 2 patients testing fasting blood glucose daily, with testing occasionally at other times to monitor the blood sugars after meals, and before bed. Insurance will generally cover 1 test daily if they are not on insulin. Diabetes type 2 is a progresive disease and over time the pancreas makes less insulin so the longer you can put that off the better. Many people have been able to prevent the need for insulin by sticking faithfully to the diet but some people's pancreases are quite "worn out" by the time they are diagnosed and they progress quickly to needing insulin. It doesn't mean they failed, they just didn't catch it early. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, and insulin dependent due to the lack of insulin production in the pancreas. Hope this is helpful.

I am in no way giving medical advice, please consult your Dr. Here are some helpful websites

www.sparkpeople.com for tracking nutrition, articles and recipes

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/?referrer=https://www.google.com/

Thank you Becca_Anne !!!

:sSig_thankyou::sSig_thankyou::sSig_thankyou:

I can understand that info ^ It is basic and it is very very similar to the information my Grandmother, Mother, and their/my doctors explained to me. It is also what I have been doing for years, the "diabetic plate" with a few modifications to the starch/sugar, depending on my test results. High score = no starch, low score = some starch-if I feel like it. :rolleyes: They explained to me that any starch will turn to sugar in the body. If I am high, I do not need to be adding to my score. If I am craving sugar, to use honey. If my sugar is way too low, a small tsp of honey or corn syrup and get to the doctor asap.

:sSig_thankyou: again.

THANK YOU BECCA ANN !!! :bow:

Old ways aren't always the best ways and they can be down right deadly. There is a reason we no longer drink turpentine and kerosene for folk remedies. Every body is different and one 'tried and true' method may not work as well for another person. Please see your doctor to decide which treatment plan is right for YOUR body type and the stage you are at.

Annarchy is correct too about starch turning into sugar. Many people think all they have to do is restrict their sugar intake. It is complicated for someone new to diabetes. I can remember when it was officially called Sugar Diabetes and not just Diabetes.

Thanks Becca for the straight talk and in plain English. It's nice to have a nurse onboard.