MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Take off on another post: You might be a Canning-a-holic if...

HSmom

OH NO!

We can answer YES to most of them !

All but the pallet ones?

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

When is the meeting?

Where is the meeting?

Hello... my name is Michael and I got JARS!

BUT!

But!

We get most of ours from yard sales and thrift shops!

So it is more like we are saving them from the dump

NOT hoarding them!

:AmishMichaelstraw:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Mt_Rider, it is ALL Darlene's fault! I never canned until a heavy box containing my All-American arrived on my doorstep! (poor little UPS gal! ;) ) Now when my (unnamed!) canner is not on the stove, it is on my fridge, in plain sight, always looking at me....waiting.....for more stew....more chili....more work! :happy0203:

I am NOT addicted!! Yes, I have 3 pressure canners (small, medium and large). Yes, I have 8 or 10 unopened cases of jars. Yes, this year I am using the flats that I bought 4 years ago (rotation donch ya know). And yes, on my recent trip to Colorado I came home with 2 cases of the 1/2 gallon jars that I cannot find here. BUT I AM NOT ADDICTED!!!

Will there be refreshments at the meeting?

(sorry, broken image link. - Cat)

Just fill with your favorite beverage. :happy0203:

Edited by Cat
fixing stuff, where I can
Originally Posted By: HSmom

AH!!! Glad to see you! I was going to post in the Sunporch asking where you've been (although I can guess, given the season).

Thanks -

We are way to busy again!

Was hoping to MAYBE slow down a bit - but THAT never happens!

This past week we told everyone we were taking a brake so we can sit at home and rest a bit. . . .

well Monday came and I had to drive and then help out at the one farm, Tuesday got a call to help out with siding the school entry way and unpacking the school supplies then work in our garden after supper, Wednesday was Quilting in the morning and running feed around to some of the Amish farms then cooking down a bushel of tomatoes for sauce, Thursday (Lori's day off of work)up at 5:30 and we went over to the Greenhouse were we worked this spring and spent the morning putting away the skids, tables, and cleaning up the display areas, then shopping, working in garden. Then Friday was a slow day just went yard saleing and got some canning done here then out to camp to play cards until 10:30. Now here it is Saturday and I just got a call to drive this am and we also are going shopping with Amish friends. Then over to Ben's to pick for the rest of the day for Market.

BUT!

Other then that we ARE resting this week?

:AmishMichaelstraw:

**sneaking in to the back of the meeting, hoping CookieJar doesn't see me**

Uh oh! Me thinks me busted. Okay okay. My name is Livin Simple and I'm a canning-a-holic.

I answered yes to far more of those questions than I'd like to admit.

I own three canners. One brand new one that I'm currently using and two used ones that are in excellent shape.

I have been collecting jars from yard sales, estate sales, flea markets, just about anywhere I can find them. I also have at least six cases of brand new jars. I just recently purchased 48 boxes of flats. (I know, 48 boxes is a bit excessive)

I can no longer go into Big Lots or Wal-Mart without looking at the jars and canning supplies and getting this uneasy feeling that I'm going to run out of supplies if I don't purchase some.

Okay, if admitting that I have a problem is the first step, what is step two????

• 4 weeks later...

HappyCamper's "shout" post is just about to leave the shout box, so I'm copying it... I think it's funny!

[HappyCamper45]

I want a tee shirt that says "Don't piss me off, or you may be the next thing I CAN!!"

:24: :24: :24:

:canning:

• 4 months later...

*ahem*

If you've ever been envious of someone's find of canning jars at a cheap price.

If you've ever try to *One Up* someone's amount of canning supplies I.E. another pallet of jars.

If your jars arrive on pallets, not just in boxes.

If you can (without consulting a book) describe in detail how to cold bath something.

If someone mentions the power out and cold baths and you think they are talking canning.

• 3 weeks later...

Read this and took off to the local Salvation Army Store and bought almost all the canning jars they had - 7 1/2 dozen - the rest were cracked, chipped or icky. I felt I better catch up to the rest of you! Besides, Hubby isn't home to see me drag them all in here! He can't understand why I just don't go buy all new ones. Sheesh!

You might be a canning-a-holic if you have photos of your full shelves just because you thought the colors of the peaches, tomatoes, green beans, pears, soups and meats, and preserves looked so pretty.

.. If you've been the recipient of several boxes of canning jars and lids from one of your best pals at Christmas and thought this was a stupendous gift!

And..you might be a seriously warped canner if you ever stood at the acquarium looking at those huge fish and wondered idly how long it would take to can one of those.....

I dunno...I LOVE using canning jars for things like pencil holders. (but I use ones that have a chip in the top) I even have those mason jar glassware with the handles and the teeny mason jar salt and pepper shakers. My piggy bank is a quart jar....

Originally Posted By: Shari

Read this and took off to the local Salvation Army Store and bought almost all the canning jars they had - 7 1/2 dozen - the rest were cracked, chipped or icky. I felt I better catch up to the rest of you! Besides, Hubby isn't home to see me drag them all in here! He can't understand why I just don't go buy all new ones. Sheesh!

So I take it there's a Victory dance involved here? :cele:

Another addict... tsk tsk

:24:

Originally Posted By: JCK88

You might be a canning-a-holic if you have photos of your full shelves just because you thought the colors of the peaches, tomatoes, green beans, pears, soups and meats, and preserves looked so pretty.

OMG...I am so busted on that one. I even sent the pictures to family members. They were so purdy!

I was thinking about this earlier today when I ran down cellar to get a jar of pizza sauce.

I should have written "You might be a canning-a-holic AND a prepper if you took photos of your full shelves just because you thought the colors of the peaches, tomatoes, green beans, pears, soups and meats, and preserves looked so pretty but THEN you were afraid to show the pics to anyone or they'd know what you had in the stash!!! LOL

Originally Posted By: JCK88

I was thinking about this earlier today when I ran down cellar to get a jar of pizza sauce.

I should have written "You might be a canning-a-holic AND a prepper if you took photos of your full shelves just because you thought the colors of the peaches, tomatoes, green beans, pears, soups and meats, and preserves looked so pretty but THEN you were afraid to show the pics to anyone or they'd know what you had in the stash!!! LOL

25.gif

:24: