MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Take off on another post: You might be a Canning-a-holic if...

HSmom

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my, I was laughing as I read this - confirmation that I'm not a nut! Thanks so much for resurrecting this post!

Here are my CONFESSIONS OF A TRUE CAN-A-HOLIC

Yes, I do case thrift stores, garage sales, and any other place for jars. My dad gave me his extra jars so YES I have 20 gallon rubbermaid totes FULL of standard quart jars... jam jars... juice jars, jelly jars... and oh...

Does anyone else have a stash of antique jars, just HOPING that you'll come across some zinc caps or clips in an estate sale just for the PLEASURE of using them one last time? :busted:

Does anyone take photos of their canning?

Do you slow down, waaaay down in the canning isle, struggling to remember the dimensions of your pressure gaskets, if you need any new item?

Have you ever rescued canning jars from municipal recycling on a walk, cradling them in a sweatshirt, running home like a jar-pregnant maniac praying you won't drop or chip one???

I actually cried when my friend RECYCLED jars I gave her full of jam - with the municipal recycling... I thought that since her mama canned and she was a military wife, she would know the value of the jars...ummm. No. Value of old computer memory yes, JARS, NOOOO - they are only weight when moving... I literally did cry because the trash man took them and put them in the cab.. :motz_6:

YES I happily took my husband's grandma's quilted jelly jars (the kind with the embossing on the bottom) and discovered they didn't have screw bands but were for paraffin or zinc caps. YES I kept them anyway because they could be used for SOOOO many other things, pretty servings of jello at the very least...

OH..was anyone else upset when Ball/Kerr (now Jarden Home Brands) changed their packaging to reflect the 'crafters' market (cheap cheap manufacturers!) instead of CANNERS? The fold-top boxes vanished to these nasty cardboard trays wrapped in plastic...which regularly dent, damage, and ding the rings resulting in a lower quality product. After losing 18 wide-mouth pints of beans to these new DENTED rings, this marked my LAST foray into the NEW purchase of jars plastic wrapped. <Ahem, now if I absolutely have to buy them new, I OPEN the boxes and inspect EVERY single jar...I'm not a maniac or anything...>

YES, I scrimp, pinch, and USE coupons, sales, etc. for canning supplies.

Thank you, thank you, dear sisters for allowing me to unburden my soul, confess my obsessions, clear my conscience. Now, where did that Blue Book get to??? ;)

• 1 month later...
I have to tell you, I did something wicked to Darlene when she was moving. I opened a cabinet to find Jars and jars of empties in pristine state. For a hoot I called Darlene over and said blithely (Just to see the reaction)

"Your not gonna take all these empty jars with you are you? Want me to dump them?"

Just to hear her dead serious tone (Think a female Clint Eastwood voice and look), "THOSE ARE CANNING JARS (Like I wouldn't know :happy0203: ) AND ARE COMING WITH ME.

I know, I was taking my life in my hands wasn't I? :24:

Some of us have to live on the edge.

I am bumping this up because it has been one year since Darlene moved to the mountains (see up in the Sunporch). I remember coming over to help her pack and confronting the sheer AMOUNT of canned preps she had. You'll never know or probably believe how much that was...but Darlene walks the canning walk as she does the canning talk.

Remember, Darlene was in left field on Percocet from her massive knee surgeries. So, it was pretty easy to mess with her. :happy0203:

Considering I found a clip of bullets in her china cabinet...perhaps I was taking a few chances here.

Here's to one year of success for the Canning Princessa! :bouquet:

• 3 years later...

Wow... has time passed by that quickly... FOUR years???

I found this thread because I just have to say...

IT IS A SICKNESS! :wacko:

I've been desperately trying to get the canning jars - both empty and full - from my Mom's basement before everything's settled. She had so many, and I can't believe how many jars of food she canned and NEVER USED. I've got WAY too many jars to just dump and clean. :o:( Nobody else wants them, so I'm taking them. And I CAN'T let them just go to a landfill... :(

In her later years, Mom just wanted to eat other people's cooking.

If I can teach my daughters to can, they will never need to buy jars. I think there's a pretty good chance with my youngest... :shrug:

But if not, I guess they will be able to sell them or give them to others.

Wow... has time passed by that quickly... FOUR years???

I found this thread because I just have to say...

IT IS A SICKNESS! :wacko:

"it is a sickness!" :008Laughing:

It does not seem like it has been 4 years!?!

Will they ever return my canning jars? LOL

• 8 months later...

Not only am I guilty of most of these things, but every time I see a canner at the local thrift shop I want to buy it! I never use most of them...just want them ALL. Fortunately I know others who will buy them from me especially at the prices I paid $5 or $10! I had so many canning jars that when I moved, my brother 'confiscated' several hundred to take to his home, where they are almost impossible to find, to give to others who need them. What the neck - he moved a couple hundred others for me! I just cant pass a canning jar on sale, either. I never could explain why I wanted all those 1/2 gallon ones to suit him....

Not only am I guilty of most of these things, but every time I see a canner at the local thrift shop I want to buy it! I never use most of them...just want them ALL. Fortunately I know others who will buy them from me especially at the prices I paid $5 or $10! I had so many canning jars that when I moved, my brother 'confiscated' several hundred to take to his home, where they are almost impossible to find, to give to others who need them. What the heck - he moved a couple hundred others for me! I just cant pass a canning jar on sale, either. I never could explain why I wanted all those 1/2 gallon ones to suit him....

Edited by kappydell