MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tea Tree Oil

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our family uses Tea Tree Oil for lots of things and it's one of the things on my list to stock up on. I try to stay at least four or five bottles ahead all the time because that's likely the one thing I'll have trouble getting if the SHTF.

It's one of the essential oils that can be used full strength unless you are using it for mouth sores or as a gargle, then it needs to be diluted in water. I also use it diluted with another oil like olive oil when using it for really raw or sensitive areas.

I've used it with good results on all sorts of scrapes, wounds and rashes. It's good on fungus and even on burns. Might be a bit strong for deep burns but then I'd dilute it, probably with milk as milk is a natural healer for burns. I've used it in a sray for my plants to discourage bugs and fungus and I've used it on my pets and farm animals.

Hmmm, guess you could say I think about reaching for it first before other remedies but that's not to say that I don't have natural, local substitutes for it's uses on hand too. It's interesting how nature (God if you will) provides us with almost all we need, might even say everything we need if we are willing to give up some conveniences. grin

bighug

We use it for all sorts of things. My DD puts it on Cold sores (splits the skin and gets right in,) nearly gone in 24 hours. I use it on tinea, insect bites, anything itchy, I use a medicated lotion with Tea Tree Oil as the medicated part for an after shaving lotion. It is great.

Sue

Tea Tree Oil

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupple.../TeaTreeOil.htm

What is Tea Tree Oil?

Latin Name: Melaleuca alternifolia

Other Names: Melaleuca oil, Australian tea tree oil

Tea tree oil is an essential oil obtained by steam distillation of the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, a plant native to Australia.

Historically, the leaves were used as a substitute for tea, which is how tea tree oil got its name.

The part used medicinally is the oil from the leaves.

Why Do People Use Tea Tree Oil?

Tea tree has a long history of traditional use. Australian aboriginals used tea tree leaves for healing skin cuts, burns, and infections by crushing the leaves and applying them to the affected area.

Tea tree oil contains consituents called terpenoids, which have antiseptic and antifungal activity. The compound terpinen-4-ol is the most abundant and is thought to be responsible for most of tea tree oil's antimicrobial activity.

Acne

Athlete's foot

Dandruff

Vaginitis

Thrush

Periodontal disease

As an antiseptic

Boils

Lice

Eczema

Psoriasis

Yeast infection

Sources of Tea Tree Oil

Tea tree oil is most commonly found as a pure essential oil. It is also an ingredient in creams, ointments, lotions, soaps, and shampoos.

Safety Concerns

One study shows that tea tree oil may alter hormone levels. There have been three case reports of topical tea tree oil products causing unexplained breast enlargement in boys. People with hormone-sensitive cancers or pregnant or nursing women should avoid tea tree oil. For more information, read Lavender and Tea Tree Oils Linked to Breast Enlargement in Boys.

Occasionally, people may have allergic reactions to tea tree oil, ranging from mild contact dermatitis to severe blisters and rashes.

Undiluted tea tree oil may cause skin irritation, redness, blistering, and itching.

Tea tree oil should not be taken internally, even in small quantities. It can cause impaired immune function, diarrhea, and potentially fatal central nervous system depression (excessive drowsiness, sleepiness, confusion, coma).

The tea tree oil in commercial toothpastes and mouthwashes is generally considered to be acceptable because it is not swallowed. Avoid homemade tea tree oil mouthwashes.

Seek medical attention if you experience symptoms of overdose: excessive drowsiness, sleepiness, poor coordination, diarrhea, vomiting.

Don't use tea tree oil if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.

When I had a jaw tooth crack and give me enormous amounts of pain i applied the oil on the outside of my jaw and massaged it in to get relief until i could get to the dentist. Worked wonders.

Originally Posted By: halfpint
I use it in some of my soaps, for cuts, to prevent lice, as a fungicide, and as an insect repellant.
Dawn

How do you treat for the prevention of lice?

mix some in water and mop floors, wipe down counter tops, clean sink, toilet, bathtub, wipe down any place that has germs since it is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.

Thanks for all the info.

I read somewhere that it would get rid of skin tags. I have been dabbing it on once a day full strength. It's been about 10 days and I can't tell any difference yet. I'll let ya'll know if it helps or not.

Staph and other infections are rampant in Maui's tropical climate..esp. among the homeless population that I formerly worked with. Our RN used it to treat all sorts of things and got me started on it. My cuts never infect but they did there unless I used Tea Tree Oil.

Anyone know a source of getting it in salve form...or could I just take my oil and make some????????? The little tin of salve fits into my bag better than a bottle.

MtRider

Mt, you could make it-probably cheaper. Do you need info on how to do that?

I use it often for infections. DH and oldest DD are allergic to bleach, so if I'm cleaning and they are home I add a few drops of it to mop water, in the toilet, tub, etc.

Mo7

There are several methods for making salves right here on Mrs. S, I believe in Lois's sticky's.

I make mine by gently heating about a fourth cup of olive oil (or sunflower, canola or other oil) with about two teaspoon fulls of beeswax in a pan over hot water until the wax is just melted. Remove it from the heat and stir it as it cools, before it's totally set up, add about 1/4 to 3/4 teaspoon of tea tree oil (less if you are going to use it on lips, the amount would depend on what you are going to use it for. You could use lots more) and continue stiring until it starts to sets up. If it seems too liquid (this would be a lotion actually) before you add the tea tree oil, add a bit more beeswax and remelt and if it's too solid to suit you, add a bit more oil. These portions are only guides, adjust it as you desire. Stored in a tight container it keeps a long time.

You can use other esential oils in this salve or if you choose you can make this salve by steeping herbs in the oil for a couple of weeks before you strain it and use it to make salve.

I've never used tea tree oil for lice but would imagine that if you were using it on children you'd want to dilute it quite a bit. I see no reason why it wouldn't work to just put a few drops of the essential oil in a cup of regular cooking oil, or in mayonaise which believe it or not is also used to kill lice, and then use it to thoroughly saturate the hair, leaving it covered with a plastic for perhaps a half hour or so before washing well with shampoo. Many shampoos already have Tea tree oil in them but I've never heard them used specifically for lice. Does anyone else have info on this?

((( )))

Mother, thank you. That is the first time I had heard of tea tree oil or mayonaise used for the treatment. I had heard of vinegar (to loosen the adhesive produced) and olive oil rinses.

I am going to post a link to information about TTO and its uses.

The site has a couple of missing forumlas and is mis-numbered. I have corrected the mis-numbering, missing information but NOT the missing formulas.. perhaps another time or someone else can email me the info and I can slip it in.

I *recommend* if you are printing this info out... to READ the information on RINGWORM!!! after having sons with it so many times because of wrestling I can tell you that scalp ringworm was very serious! slave son #1 had to take pills and have his blood tested to make sure his liver was on.. this is pretty serious.

Do your own homework!!!

this site is to be used as a reference and not as hard facts! many of the drops for TTO is left with (?) you decide I guess. but this will make a great guide for someone to put together their own information.

so here goes...

http://www.teatreeoiluses.com/tea-tree-oil-uses-human.htm

Tea Tree Oil Uses

Human External Page 1

People with sensitive skin should introduce the oil with caution. See Safety! Tea tree oil is not to be taken internally.

Tea Tree Oil General Information

Tea tree oil is a natural antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-infection oil. It is effective against nail fungus, ringworm, athlete's foot, dandruff, acne and many types of infestations including lice, mites and scabies.

Tea tree oil is not just soothing and disinfecting, it is capable of penetrating into the lower skin layers with its anti-inflammatory, disinfectant, analgesic (pain killing) and cicatrizant (wound-healing) qualities. It helps the skin to heal by encouraging the formation of scar tissue.

Human External Uses

1.Abrasions

2.Acne

3.After Shave

4.Arthritis

5.Asthma

6.Athletes Foot

7.Bad Breath

8.Bath Salts

9.Bladder Infection

10.Blisters

11.Body Mist