MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning peppers and weenies.... QUICK!! Save me!

savagerabbit

Ok, so a girlfriend wants to come over and can this recipe with me but that BWB treatment of these weenies FREAKS ME OUT!! Is this ok since it's so acidic? HELP! She's on her way!

‎1/2 bushel peppers (hot/banana/whatever)

2lbs beef weiners

3qts tomato juice/ketchup or a mixture

2 1/2 C vinegar

1/2 C oil

3/4 (or less) C sugar

1 C hot sauce

1 tsp salt/qt

Mix everything together and boil 5 minutes. Pack in jars, hot water bath for 5 minutes.

ETA: The weenies are chopped up.

I'm pretty sure Violet says we can't can anything with oil in it. Also do the weenies have fillers in them? I think they all do. Pretty sure it is unsafe to can any way. Someone with more knowledge will come along soon to help.

I'm with Miki on what Violet would say and that it's not safe. Meat need to be pressure canned no matter what the acid content, think spaghetti sauce with meat. Oil can not be canned and the weiners, I'm just not sure but I would say no due the casing and anything in the meat.

Pretty sure it is not safe canned either way. Between the oil and fillers. Am canning hamburger today and after cooking and draining it I rinse it too.

No way !! That is no canning recipe ! Who in the world tried to invent such a horrid mess ? I am sorry, but that is what that is.

No hot dogs are safe to can, period. No oil like that. BWB for 5 min. ??? I am having heart failure. That is botulism waiting to happen. Throw that out or freeze ASAP.

I cannot stress how dangerous this is !

That's what I thought too Violet! I told her she could BWB hers and roll the dice but I was putting mine in the pressure canner. She says she's been eating them that way her whole life as her mom makes them for her dad to take in his lunch box. She makes them for her husband to take in his lunchbox.

I seriously don't know how they're still alive.

Savagerabbit, even pressure canning will NOT make that safe. It is not a canning recipe. It is someones made up nightmare. I am being brutally honest, I know, but it is the truth.

Please, if you canned this open the jars, and remove at least an inch worth and freeze it ASAP. If it was canned more than 24 hours ago, then throw it away. Boutlism can grow that fast, enough to kill you.

It isn't just the casing, it is the milk products and all the extra fat that is added to them. A true ground sausage, the only kind safe to can, is cooked, drained, then canned.

A hot dog is not at all the same thing.

OK, so I have warned you and will say no more. Not unless you ask about it.

• 4 months later...

I have a question about canning the "all beef" hot dogs. Would they be "can- able" because they don't have the fillers of regular hot dogs? Just boil them in some beef broth then pressure can??

As Violet already said above "No hot dogs are safe to can, period." Can't say it much more clearly than that. :)

Commercially canned hot-dog-type products have stabilizers and citric acid added, are irradiated and then high pressure autoclave canned.

As Violet already said above "No hot dogs are safe to can, period." Can't say it much more clearly than that. :)

Commercially canned hot-dog-type products have stabilizers and citric acid added, are irradiated and then high pressure autoclave canned.

Well Geez Dave.....How about we let Violet answer......ya think??

By the way the definition by law of an "all beef" hot dogs is this:

Hot Dog Terms Regulated by Law

Beef or all-beef: Contains only beef with no soybean protein or dry milk solid fillers added.

So... I thought maybe this type of dog would be treated differently. I look forward to Violet's reply.

WOW! I didn't realize that only Violet was allowed to answer! You didn't address the question to her or indicate in any way that you were only interested in having her answer the question.

Not to mention that she already did.

WOW! I didn't realize that only Violet was allowed to answer! You didn't address the question to her or indicate in any way that you were only interested in having her answer the question.

Not to mention that she already did.

Hmm...well since you answered with "Violet already said..." that you assumed I was talking to Violet.....You didn't say "I think...." Besides I was talking to Violet because I trust her knowledge and expetise in this area. I don't really know you.

I guess I took offense to your "can't say it more clearly" comment. I'm not stupid. Once again....she didn't answer THIS specific question about the all beef dogs specifically. They are quite different from the every kind of meat dog!

If it has no fillers then I would say they are safe. However, when you can them they swell all up and split open. Not very appetizing when done. I did not try it, but someone I know did. They are pretty much mush. Pressure canning quarts for 90 min. or pints for 75 min. would do that, for sure.

Has as already been mentioned, it isn't just the fillers that are an issue. It is also the casings and the fats contained in them. And yes, even the all beef ones, if you can find any that actually do NOT contain fillers, do contain fats and are in casings. For those reasons hot dogs (frankfurters) of any kind as well as beef or pork summer sausages and similar meats are not approved for canning. Even freshly made cased sausage has to be cut into chunks, and cooked and drained prior to canning and then pressure canned for 75-90 mins.

Quality issues aside, the USDA/NCHFP guidelines clearly state that hot dogs should not be canned but should instead be frozen to be preserved. Thus you will not find any recipes for canning hot dogs in any of the approved sources.

Of course if someone is determined for some reason to can them anyway then they can always choose to just ignore the guidelines and proceed at their own risk.

I was thinking of some made from a butcher, not really commercially made hot dogs, that may be OK, with no fillers or dairy . Still, the texture would be awful.

The USDA guidelines are as Dave says, you open the sausages, cook, then pack and can them, they are not to be canned in the casings.

Archived