MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help with injured cat

My cat got in a fight outside about 10 days ago with another cat. He has 3 cuts to the side of his neck. We cleaned the wounds with peroxide at first. Seemed to be heeling fine, in the last few days they have opened up (from scratching?) Two of smaller cuts have scabbed over again but the biggest one is oozing (very slightly yellow, but more no color). It's not oozing a lot. The cut is about 1/4" long and not very deep. I need to know how to help with the healing. How should I clean it? Should I be putting some medicine on it? Cover it with a bandage? He is also loosing the fur around the wounds. I can't put one of those cones on him as it would rub right across the cuts. He has his claws. Thanks in advance.

I'd just put on an antibacterial ointment--generic is fine, Polysporin costs a lot more but doesn't work any better. I find Ozonol to be inexpensive and works the BEST. For me, I have antibiotics that I bought from KV Vet Supply (kvvvetsupply.com) under the Fish section--fishmox or amox. IF I felt that my cat was getting worse, I'd give him abx as well.

Losing the hair is normal. The hide heals much faster without hair in the way. You should consider clipping the hair further back around all the wounds.

Wash with soap and water. Don't try bandaging. I wouldn't use a salve, but I would wash it with hydrogen peroxide three times a day.

The one with pus is the only one I'd be worried about. Wash that a whole lot. If it's still oozing pus a day later, look into antibiotics. My fluffybutt kitty recently cost me $115 for cleaning the wound and trimming the hair, plus an antibiotic prescription. She seriously needed those antibiotics and even then took a very long time to heal up.

If she is not up on her rabies vaccination, you need to get her in for that ASAP.

I've not owned a cat but several years ago had a cocker spaniel that needed care. I found a product at our local MFA called "wound care", it's a liquid with a swab-thing inside that you just dab on the wound. It's very good stuff. I also would recommend antibiotics of some sort. I used to be able to buy a very small tube of antibiotic salve at MFA but haven't seen it for a long time locally...Erythomycin? or something like that. It's used for livestock, generally on their eyes, so it's very safe.

Careful with the peroxide. My vet got mad at me for treating one of my cat's abscesses with peroxide. According to him, the peroxide can keep the wound open and prevent it from closing and healing. Use an antibiotic ointment on the wound with pus and watch it closely. Hopefully your kitty won't need any antibiotics. Good luck!