MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Best frozen fries !!

This took quite a while to do, but they are fantastic. Like store bought fries. I used plain canola oil, not peanut oil. I found that large baking cooling racks worked the best for me. I laid down parchment on the counter underneath the racks.

Now I see 10 lb. of potatoes is $1.29. I paid $1.98. Oh well.... They are done and in the freezer. I also just boiled a big pot of water and used it for all the potatoes, not starting with cold water and potatoes. I used canning salt. The vinegar does not flavor, but makes them better. Once cooled I froze on cookie sheets. Then popped into ziploc bags in the freezer.

French Fries Perfected !

Ingredients

• 2 pounds russet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch by 1/4-inch fries (keep potatoes stored in a bowl of water)
  • 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 quarts peanut oil ( I used canola just fine)

Procedures

1. 1

Place potatoes and vinegar in saucepan and add 2 quarts of water and 2 tablespoons of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 4 minutes. Potatoes should be fully tender, but not falling apart. Drain and spread on paper towel-lined rimmed baking sheet. Allow to dry for five minutes.

2. 2

Meanwhile, heat oil in 5-quart Dutch oven or large wok over high heat to 400°F. Add 1/3 of fries to oil (oil temperature should drop to around 360°F). Cook for 2 min., agitating occasionally with wire mesh spider, then remove to second paper-towel lined rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining potatoes (working in two more batches), allowing oil to return to 400°F after each addition. Allow potatoes to cool to room temperature, about30 minutes. Continue with step 3, or for best results, freeze potatoes at least over night, or up to 2 months.

If you want to eat right away.....

3. 3

Return oil to 400°F over high heat. Fry half of potatoes until crisp and light golden brown, about 3 1/2 minutes, adjusting heat to maintain at around 360°F. Drain in a bowl lined with paper towels and season immediately with kosher salt. Cooked fries can be kept hot and crisp on a wire rack set on a sheet tray in a 200°F oven while second batch is cooked. Serve immediately.

This is usually how I make french fries after watching a food network show several years ago telling the restaurant secrets of those french fry places. If I'm in a hurry, I "Bake" them in the microwave instead of boiling them. I didn't think about freezing them after the first frying. Thanks for the post!

• 1 month later...

DH told me to "Thank You!" for this. They turned out better than anything I have tried before. We've done french fries, cottage fries, hash browns and more.

(It took me a while to find this thread again.) :pc_coffee:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

:bouquet:

Haven't every did my 'taters as fries, but intend to. I've always just boiled them in quantity (or microwaved them) and then froze them until I needed to lay out a batch to thaw for fried potatoes or ??? Thanks for another idea to buy quantity and be able to preserve them...for a 2 people household.

• 1 year later...