MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Who do you think you are?

Momo

Has anyone been watching the second season of this program? It is on Friday nights at 7 central time. They basically do some genealogy background on famous people. They spend a whole hour and do alot of travel. It is very interesting. They have done research on contemporaries of George Washington (Tim McGraws family), the Holocaust (Lisa Kudrow's family), the potato famine in Ireland (Rosie O'Donnell's family). It doesn't matter if you like the star or not..it is the history that is so interesting.

i wrote a book about my family several years ago--we had one of the unfortunate ones from the salem witch trials in our family-it is really fun to find out about your family!! :eclipsee_Victoria:

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

I think everyone is in good company. :)

We go back to George Washington, Robert E.Lee, Susannah North Martin, who was hung in Salem, as a witch. Also, I have a direct line to the Mayflower. :) I'm sure I have mentioned it all in the past, but, just thought I would post it again now.

Oh, it would be my Great-Great Grandfather Horace Lee Jones, was one of 3 brothers who tried to swim the Ohio River and one didn't make it. This info was/is on the back of his picture that my sister has.

Becca_Anne, you have someome in your family who looks sooooooooooo much like my great or great-great uncle Candance Jones. If you could find out about your 'Jones' side and see if any of them know anything about an uncle who owned slaves and was mean to them. That was why the 3 boys left and swam the river, to get away from him. The name of the slave owner was not mentioned on the picture. :(

Anyone of you Jones' families, if there are any stories such as this, please let me know, as I am still looking for the parents of Horace Lee Jones.

Ok I've gone on long enough with this. :)

Happy Hunting. :)

Momo, what channel is that on?? We only get 2 channels, so probably can't get it. :( CBS and ABC are the ones we get.

HUGS37.gifHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

Thanks for reminding me about that show. I watched it once then forgot about it.The episodes can be viewed online here: http://www.nbc.com/who-do-you-think-you-are/video/categories/season-2/1284625

My dh is related to Mary Queen of Scots(Bloody Mary and Lew Wallace(Ben-Hur)

My 13yo dd is showing a major interest in geneology and has already begun research so we are going to start working on this together.It will be so interesting to find things out.

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

Deerslayer, that is something I would love to do, write a book about the family history. :) Maybe if I live long enough and stop playing games on F. B. I might just get it done. I know I will need all kinds of help to do it though. :) Maybe my niece will help me. I'm so glad for spell check and such on my computer. :)

I have a niece who is writing a book. Many of those who have been on here a long time remember my niece Kaye. She is the one who is writing a book now and may have it published in the next year or so. :) She is in a group home now and will be in some kind of place like that for life. She is paralyzed on her left side and has had at least 2 strokes. But, she is able to use the computer using one hand. :)

I have gotten several books from other people in the extended family, and I'm sure would need permission in order to use some of the infrmation that is in their book.

Well, anyway, one day, maybe. :)

Now, to the program, I did go to the site and was watching it, just didn't have the time to watch it all. Thank you for the url. :)

SNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpgHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

I happened to catch parts of it (kids going to sleep) last night. It was really interesting.

I've given up on a lot of it as we can't go past my grandparents on either side for information excluding my dad's maternal grandparents. Paternal grandfather's spelling was changed at Ellis Island, we're Hungarian not Irish. Not sure on correct spelling, but I think there might be one cousin that went back to the correct spelling. I'll have to FB my aunt and see. Mom's side names were changed and/or Americanized, her paternal grandmother came here as an indentured servant so no last name on anything and her first name was Mary.

I do know that my maternal grandfather's father and 2 brothers fled Poland in the dead of night when they left the Catholic Church. They were told to convert back or they would be put in prison and/or killed. They came to the States and one of the brothers went back to Poland with his wife by way of Israel as missionaries.

Archived