MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

HAULING HAY BALES.....in the snow....

Clearing clutter so the repair guy can get to the kitchen trap to replace it .....well, guess he's coming back a different day.

Going up and down stairs....and the driveway....between DH doing the hay [needed lunch and coffee and help unload] and the repair guy needing an elect. outlet to use, ideas on why the garage door won't meet cement with the new [not rat-chewed] rubber bumper...etc.

Dear repair guy helped DH haul 3 bales of the hay on a sled for DH to stack in the barn....and I took the 4th cuz I was afraid he was gonna have a heart attack. He's older than us. But LOL we were parked in the way and he couldn't leave till we unloaded. ;)

MtRider :0327:

Still dealing with some pain in my shoulder so finally got up around 3 and took something for it. When it finally subsided I finally got to sleep. Then I guess I tried to get up too fast this morning and pulled the other side! Grrr. Been taking it really EZ today other than canning up some peppered bacon we had thawing in our 5-day cooler. Stopped at the $Tree to pick up some small teddy bears for the Moose Lodge children's Christmas party, a birthday gift and card for a friend, and got the dishwasher to do the dishes. I don't use it very often but did today.

Hope you get back to full speed there, WE2. Pain will keep you from good sleep for sure!

Resting.....but I FINALLY got a full night's sleep despite all the physical exertion of yesterday! :amen:

{by the way, year 'round we haul those hay bales on children's plastic sleds. It works best if the ground was snow covered like yesterday....but it's still a LOT of work!}

Wash hair....so now I'm resting again. Blech! Don't like being so low on energy that washing hair is counted as An Event!

MtRider :rolleyes:

Woke up feeling a whole lot better so took off like a pinwheel and got most of the laundry done, tackled the pantry and cleared out a bunch of stuff that didn't have no business there! Was coming up the steps into the breezeway and stumbled my toe and fell UP the stupid steps :-( Lucky for me my laundry basket was sitting there so it caught my fall. Just took a bump on the noggin which didn't really even hurt. Probably my arm and leg will notify me when I finally slow down and then in the morning :-( I've went up those steps for over 30 years, and have stumbled up them at least 10 times...even have reflective tape on the edges of them...and very sturdy hand rails on both sides...but they got me today! :-( So far I'm not feeling anything but just tired from a lot of work. A warm shower and some essential oils and I'm betting I'll sleep pretty good :-) I use "My 5" (a recipe of thieves oil) every morning and every evening and it smells very soothing. I also mixed up my own recipe for my "feminine" cream that I rub a dot or two on my hip twice a day and it smells good too! And of course...I use my lavender moisturizer at night too! Did get the little dorm frig moved back here to put my essential oils in. It's a lot easier for me to just duck out to the porch and pick the ones I need. Right now I don't need any of them. I keep my "regulars" mixed up and sitting on my dresser. MrWE2 can't put "My5" on his chest, it's too hot? I guess, and gives him a rash so we put it on the inside of his forearm and he rubs his forearms together. I've started doing the same. But it's still very aromatic for a little while :-) Every time I put some of my EO's on here comes the Lab-Brat! She can smell that stuff a mile away I think, and it's not that strong! Guess she's just the typical girl...and loves the smell goods! LOL MrWE2's still doing some work for a client, that's good since it's tax time "-( Seems like we're always putting out fires trying to manage three properties. We've just got to get the Roost done and rented so we'll have the income to offset it's expenses and contribute some extra to our income. Then we'll tackle the Homestead and get it ready for us. THEN son is absolutely going to have to move. I think he's in denial. He just can't believe we'd serve him an eviction notice.

I made my Thieves Oil two different ways. One recipe but one bottle I made straight essential oil and in another bottle I used half essential oil and half olive oil. I'll put the straight one in a humidifier if I need it this winter and the one that is half strength I'll use on myself. I don't think I could use full strength on my skin either because of the cinnamon and clove oil and maybe the eucalyptus oil too.

My son and his fiancé were in town today. It was nice seeing my baby boy. :wub: We three went out for supper.

I have a bad headache but I didn't let on. I'm gonna take some Excedrin Migraine. If that doesn't work I'm going to bed. If I can't sleep I'm taking 1 Ambien. I haven't taken one in about a month so I don't mind taking it. I need sleep again. :sigh:

I've had a dream numerous times where all of my fence falls down and is scattered all over my yard. I had it again last night. Darn thing must be in my subconscious even when I'm sleeping.

Got another energetic start today, and really made some progress :-) Got the laundry all done up, all the sweet potatoes are put up, some for a Christmas dinner we're going to and we'll take roasted sweet potatoes, the pantry is pretty well in order (still still need to run the vac though), made some instant pudding for a trial run for the Christmas party. Also froze some marshmellows and then poured some chocolate over them and they're in the freezer. They really make some wonderful "popper" treats! Also pulled out the two muffin tins that I froze some turkey stock in. That stuff is so concentrated :-) I'll just throw a chunk into some water, add some turkey, som veggies and some noodles and we'll be walking in tall cotton! Jeeps I like the idea of diluting the thieves oil to half strength...I use liquid coconut oil as my carrier oil. Does it still provide the protection? So far, we're doing find by rubbing it on the underside of his forearm. I have it in a roller-ball bottle so we just rub some on and then take the other forearm to massage it gently into the skin. I've got some diffusers that plug into my electrical sockets but I'm fearful of doing that with him being sensitive to it on his chest or neck. Also have some concerns for Abby-girl. She'll lick ANYTHING and eat it if she gets the chance! :-( I guess the young couple to the back of us have lost their home. Don't know if they were renting or buying, but it's a sad time to be under such stress. They've really struggled every month that we've known them. They both like their beer and he's been out of work for some time. He's a building contractor but has to hire fly-by-nights that have a driver's license because he lost his to alcohol. Also has to pay child support to an X and has spent some time in jail for non-payment. They're not married but they have their little boy together. He's a beautiful child and a real pistol. We've enjoyed him and Abby-girl absolutely adores him but now he won't be around to hug her neck and take a roll when she gets too energetic :-) I'm praying they've found a home they can afford and can stay warm when winter arrives. His parents have a farm but I don't know if they'd take them in or not. We were in a store a week or so ago and heard this woman telling another woman (they knew each other) that "so and so are doubled up" and "so and so are doubled up" and "so are so and so". "So and so is by himself and just goes where he can". So it sounded like there were a number of people moving in with each other to make it. We're pleased as punch that the city arrived (after 4 months of getting on the list!) and cleared out the drainage ditch along the front of the Homestead and then went even one step further and cleared the tree line! WONDERFUL! Now, if we could only get hem to take down the two walnut trees :-) Lots of tree trimmers want to take them down, keep the wood and charge us up the yahooty for doing it! They'll ahve to be taken down, we know that. We've heard they "poison" anything around them so nothing will grow and we want to put in some apple and plum trees eventually.

post-9087-0-30682100-1449626745_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-14785700-1449626753_thumb.jpg

:lol: Jeepers and your fence dreams.

I said I was dizzy today. I've been wondering all day if I dreamed of that tsunami because I was dizzy in my sleep........or if I was dizzy because I dreamed of massive tumbling water? This dizziness DOES feel like being in big water...

MtRider ...still dizzy-er than normal... :imoksmiley:

WE2, if I had it to do over again I'd use coconut oil too. At the time I made mine I didn't know about all of the benefits of coconut oil. I'm under the assumption that it worked, way back in the Plague days, by being breathed. I'm not certain though. I think any carried that is mild and safe for the skin would be good. No wonder Abby goes for it, with all of those good smelling spices she probably thinks mom is baking up some more goodies!

I went to bed early last night expecting to not be able to sleep. I think as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out.

WE2, if I had it to do over again I'd use coconut oil too. At the time I made mine I didn't know about all of the benefits of coconut oil. I'm under the assumption that it worked, way back in the Plague days, by being breathed. I'm not certain though. I think any carried that is mild and safe for the skin would be good. No wonder Abby goes for it, with all of those good smelling spices she probably thinks mom is baking up some more goodies!

I went to bed early last night expecting to not be able to sleep. I think as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out.

Been "sniffin" ... lavendar? :24:

Played a bit lazy today. Cleaned out the 5-day cooler and made a batch of white chili for our lunch. MrWE2 plans to work tomorrow so I'm sure I'll find "something" that needs to be done...and it will start with a good vacuuming of the livingroom and bedroom. Probably won't hurt to go ahead and scrub the kitchen and bathroom floor. That will put me ahead of the game for next week! I usually try to have all the laundry and housework done on Monday's and Tuesday's but when you're canning etc, things get pushed back. I need to drag out my haircare bag and give MrWE2 his needed haircut. He's always like the way I cut his hair...and he doesn't have to pay $15 for a haircut that takes 5 minutes! We found out today that our neighbors across the alley did indeed lose their home on the courthouse steps. The people who bought it stopped to talk to MrWE2. He said the house was an absolute disaster. I guess people just get so depressed when they know they're not going to pull out of the downward slide that they just give up on everything. Still feel sad for them though. The new owners plan to fix the house up and flip it. Hope we get some good neighbors since we'll be living here for awhile. Probably mentioned it but the city did finally come out and clear the drainage ditch in front of the Homestead house and also cleared the tree line. Still on the lookout for someone to take down the two old walnut trees.

Nothin' worse than a lavender snortin' dog. It's a 'gateway drug' ya know. Better nip it in the 'bud'. :lois:

Nothin' worse than a lavender snortin' dog. It's a 'gateway drug' ya know. Better nip it in the 'bud'. :lois:

:laughkick:

Put together a red velvet cake and enjoyed a slice for our supper. Also made up some mint facial scrub for three of my girlfriends, put it in some small plastic containers and put a pretty red heart on each lid (found the hearts at WM, they're sticky-back) and they're ready to go. Talked to the evicted neighbors tonight as they were sorting through their mess. Believe it or not, another neighbor is letting them put all their stuff in his back yard and storage shed! I've got a feeling it's going to be there a long time :-( He tried to tell us that the people who bought the house on the courthouse steps weren't being fair or honest with them...figure? Also said his significant other was "depressed" and it was her fault they were repossessed because she sent the re-finiance papers to the wrong address...figure? Asked him if he was going to stay on the farm with his folks and he said "No, ain't goin' there. But we're looking at a place in the country"...figure? I'm just having a hard time anyway. My heart feels sad for their situation and for the little boy. I know their drinking and smoking and lack of work on his part is their problem and until they do something about it there's not much anybody can do that won't be "enabling". He's got 2 or 3 guy friends helping him pick through their stuff so at least he has some help. But both myself and MrWE2 are asking ourselves "are they homeless?"

Nice weather, cleaned kitchen, waited on neighbor that said sh would come by. She took me to town,went to the library to print out a manual I need to be reading. Found out i do not know enough about this "shop" computer to use it . So shouldered the computer bag and walked home. I like Joy walking with me as it looks like I am just exercising her.

I have picked up only one bucket of cones and need to pick up another bucket before calling it quits or it gets dark.

I am going to share some lavender oil with someone(s) I am allergic to it..never could stand the smell of it.

Edited by Twilight

Washed enough eggs in basement (from the 'waterglass solution' bucket) to make breakfast-at-noon. Knocked over a stack of stuff in the process and scared me silly.... CRASH!

Put the toxic waste [aka: soured turkey carcass] carefully into MULTIPLE plastic bags for DH to take and dispose. [ hee hee...DH put the whole thing in one MORE plastic bag to make sure didn't spill in his truck] Washed/rewashed turkey roaster. Whew! I get behind sometimes...but no, that wasn't from Thanksgiving... :dishes:

And for the finale........ :misc-smiley-231: ..........

Had to vacuum windows that are still full of flies. Vacuum lives in bathroom so began there. Didn't put the final end piece on the vacuum hose ...y'know, the piece that narrows down the end? Just swooped up those flies with the hose end.

Moving on to the next room with vacuum still running, the hose end swung near the tall laundry basket. Ahem... :wacko: ..now yesterday I did 3 loads of laundry. I don't put sox or undies in the dryer so after 3 loads, I have to get creative about places to drape drying sox. All of DH's long boot sox were nicely draped all the way around the top of the laundry basket.......

....so here comes my running vacuum hose end past all those dry sox.........SCHLLOOOOP! A sock disappears down the tube. :gaah: ....and it did NOT make it into the vacuum bag. That was made clear by a suddenly shrieking vacuum motor. I was still saying 'Nooooooo....' when I had to quick shut off the motor. Dang!

So I sat down with the straightened-out coat hanger that is ready for such odd jobs. Threaded the wire with a small hook formed on the end....down into the tube from the back of the machine after taking the vacuum bag off. Hooked the wire into the stuck sock and.......GOT THE WIRE STUCK TOO! :motz_6:

Took a break. :offtobed:

Came back with a new idea. Took apart another coat hanger and made the same hook on the end. Threaded that second wire thru the other end of the hose....but didn't reach. Pulled on the top coat hanger again but it's good-N-truely STUCK!

Ah HAH! Took off two screws and the hose came loose from the vacuum machine. Took hose outside with first coat hanger still stuck and swung it 'round and 'round while dangling over the edge of porch. Got some good centrifical? centrifuge? ....whatever, that law of science that sends stuff from middle to outer edge when spun. :curtsey: After several tries, I was finally able to reach, hook and pull with the second coat hanger. The now-filthy sock with the first coat hanger still attached came zipping out the bottom end.

:hapydancsmil: ........ :0327:

.....then I STILL had to vacuum flies and floors....

MtRider :rolleyes: Life's so tough....it's just breathe, breathe, breathe, all the danged time! :rolleyes:

Glad the sock didn't get to the motor and ruin it! :grinning-smiley-044:

I guess they don't go in the motor? Just keep the belt from turning and burning it up. I know that smell all too well.

I've done similar things with the vacuum too. I usually end up getting a rug caught. I no longer have throw rugs with fringe. Vacuum + fringe = 'something' getting caught in the vacuum and my heart sinking. I know it's going to happen. I always underestimate the sucking power. Then I have to scramble to get it turned off before I start smelling smoke. Sigh. I only have a couple of throw rugs left. At entryways and on cold bathroom floor. Oh, and one in front of the fireplace. And a foam one in the kitchen. I didn't realize I had that many til I started adding them up. But no fringe.

Glad the sock didn't get to the motor and ruin it! :grinning-smiley-044:

I guess they don't go in the motor? Just keep the belt from turning and burning it up. I know that smell all too well.

I've done similar things with the vacuum too. I usually end up getting a rug caught. I no longer have throw rugs with fringe. Vacuum + fringe = 'something' getting caught in the vacuum and my heart sinking. I know it's going to happen. I always underestimate the sucking power. Then I have to scramble to get it turned off before I start smelling smoke. Sigh. I only have a couple of throw rugs left. At entryways and on cold bathroom floor. Oh, and one in front of the fireplace. And a foam one in the kitchen. I didn't realize I had that many til I started adding them up. But no fringe.

Had a doctor once tell me that "throw rugs" are just that...they'll throw you for a loop and you'll end up on your can or face. We only rug I have is one in front of my kitchen sink :-) The heavy duty one laps over the tub and is our shower rug. Have a couple that we use for that, but they don't stay down. And by the way Jeeps...vacuums will grab the edge of a berber area carpet too! Uggggg...unravelling quicker than you could ever imagine! Ask me how I know :-)

Yikes, I didn't know that about berber carpet. I have a lot of carpet I'd like to get rid of. I'm not a fan of throw rugs. They can be a real hazard for the elderly. I really need them at the door entrances to catch little pebbles and dirt. All of mine are cheap really flat rugs. Almost like indoor/outdoor stiff carpet. They make stuff you can use to put on the corners of rugs to hold them in place. Don't know if it works or not though. Mine don't slide around.

Some of the best are rugs with a low [not deep/thick] depth to the fuzzies. The ones I'm talking about have a 2" wide rubber border all the way around. Helps keep them down with little edge to trip over.....and grip so they don't skid. Maybe they're commercial mats? Dunno.

We have plastic mats in front of both doors. The kind you'd use under office chairs so they roll better and don't make wheel marks in the carpet. So wet boots coming in and out aren't a problem. Stupid to carpet this whole RURAL cabin....even the kitchen. Sheesh!

I have one rug. The cat's rug. She's allowed to tear it up with her claws and I replace it every once in a while. It's in front of a chair we don't use...but it's out of any traffic. We use the rug to set the overflow of footwear in winter. But it DOES try to sneak up the vacuum every now and then with it's raggedy pieces sticking out. :lol:

MtRider :rolleyes:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Got 15 trays of bananas (a local charity gave a whole case to someone we know, but they were green so they asked me if we wanted them) on the dehydraters and three quarts of chocolate mint patties (Dollar Tree had them on sale) put up. We put the "greenies" into some paper grocery bags with an apple and they riped up just right for dehydrating. Still a bit green but very tasty! MrWE2 headed for the library with Abby-girl. They have a book in that he's been waiting for. Still waiting for the Ted Koppel book to come in, maybe it's the one? It's been raining pretty much for the past two days but today it's stopped and the weather has taken a big dip in temperature.

post-9087-0-76217100-1450126766_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-49008600-1450126773_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-24790800-1450126783_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

:hi:

I am finally beginning to feel better. Pushing myself to keep going has taken a lot out of me. Managed to finish turning the soil in my big garden, just before this last storm passed by. The weather people are saying, temps into the 20's here for the rest of the week. I am still dealing with numbing in my extremities, hopefully, it will continue to ease up. It makes typing interesting when I can't feel the keys. lol.

We filled the back of my truck with wood from an huge old cottonwood tree. The neighbors have been working on cutting it down for the past couple of months, after that storm in September knocked it over. It's trunk is 4 foot in diameter. I am hoping to get one of the trunk pieces and make another fire pit seat. :happy0203:

Sadly, I am soooo not in the mood for the 'season'. Haven't done any shopping, except the very basic essentials. Gotta take care of some stuff before that situation changes. God willing, by this time next year, all of it will be taken care of and we will be able to grocery shop like normal people. Our cupboards are thinning, in a way, that is a good thing, I can see what we have left, and found some stuff a little too old that did not taste too good. Hopefully, the supplies we still have will last. Luckily, most of my cooking relies on antique cook books, simple and basic.

Today, I need to prepare for our annual inspection. With the rain, Grrr has tracked in mud and grass and I want the house to look clean when the inspectors get here. We missed their 'impromptu' visit, so they left their business cards on our doors and cars and left voice mail. Maybe when we didn't answer our phones, it might have meant we weren't home, plus it was our official day off. They have to travel, at least, 60 miles one way. :shakinghead:

Time for me to get to it. I want to finish unloading my truck so we might be able to get another load of wood. I also want to finish my garden. I still need to put the grass barriers back around the whole thing and make the pathways. I have already sorted some of the seeds I want to plant. This time of year, I am going for roots. Carrots, beats, radishes, etc.

I hope everyone has a great day.