MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Still catching up on laundry since the water heater took a break :-) The weather was absolutely gorgeous so I hung the laundry on the clothesline, baked a loaf of gingerbread and baked some biscuits to go with our stew (for supper). Crochet'd a little more on the topper I'm working on and then when MrWE2 got home, we took Abby-girl to the dog park for a romp with another dog that was there. When they left so did we because there was another couple in the "small dog" section with a pit bull and they were tellling the other couple "Oh, he's afraid of his shadow". We're very careful when we're there. If any dog shows signs of aggressiveness, we leave immediately.

Good idea WE2. Grrr is not dog friendly. He gets aggressive if another dog (or cat) comes near the yard. I have to be extremely careful when we go for walks. Thankfully, our yard is big enough that he has enough room to exercise. I quit walking him in the desert because the 'transients' that 'live' out there are known druggies and mentally unstable people. Scary to say the least. I have my concealed carry, but, I don't want to put myself in the position to have to use it.

Thanks Jeepers. I am having fun with the FS, dehydrator, and canner. I am embarrassed how much food we had been loosing due to spoilage and freezer burn.

Today, I am hoping to finish up on my ToDo list items that I didn't get to do yesterday.

Hoping everyone has a great day.

Cleaning the house for the closing tomorrow. We're exhausted! On the bright side, the state bee inspector stopped by today. I bet we have the neighborhood chattering over a DNR car came and the lady dressed in a white suit. We load up the bees the morning after closing and head to our final homestead in wisconsin. Finally going home, even if its in another town. :-)

Edited by Homesteader

Washed up MrWE2's work clothes, hung them on the line and finished up housework. Supper was fried chicken drumsticks (we bought a LONG time ago for 29 cents a pound and vacuum sealed them and put some in our frig freezer and some in the deep freeze) and couldn't resist mashed potatoes, gravy and some mixed veggies :-)

:pray: all goes well with the Homesteader MOVE. [especially with Bee Transport!] :cheer:

Did cat litter and braided onions from the garden. There must be a LOT less voles now cuz they ate all the taters but not the onions this year. We don't have a long enough season for BIG onions but....anything homegrown is good. Hung the braids from ceiling in garage/basement area.....away from mice.

MtRider :lois:

Worked on cleaning the top of my fridge. It sits under a vent and gets covered in dust, combined with cooking and it was a mess. I store my appliances on top, because I do not have any room anywhere else to put them. It all started because I needed to find a place to put the food saver.

2 Oster blenders - one from the 60's and one from the 70's - my mom's and his mom's.

An electric hand held blender.

An electric mincer.

A couple large pans with glass lids and my Wok.

A Mr. Coffee coffee maker.

And an old Sunbeam Mixmaster Model #11 (1950's) that was DH's grandmothers.

All clean, again. Now to figure out how to keep them that way.

Today, the sun is just barely coming up. I need to work on a pastel painting that is taking waaaayy too long to do. Debating when to start digging up the garden to prepare it to plant again. (Procrastination is my worst enemy.) Other than that, who knows what will happen. :D

Congratulation on getting to the finish line with your move, Homesteader. Looking forward to hearing how your new place is, as you explore all the possibilities it will provide.

Mt_Rider, "braided onions"?

Time for me to get to work.....

Like braiding garlic. I braid the green tops and keep melding in new onions in to keep the braid going. We have to 'cure' them like potatoes or garlic. And that means keeping them inside somewhere out of sun/freezing....AND away from any mice that may or may not be in the garage right now. [...don't SEE any evidence right now]. These are not huge, well-grown onions. From 1" to barely 3" diameter. Tied off ends with baler twine. As they dry, the onion heads might become too heavy for the braided greens. I'll have to keep an eye on them. Some had nearly no greens so they're curing on one of my many plastic child sleds in garage. More awaiting harvest....mulched in garden. This is mostly DH's project this year. I gave up when the VOLES rampaged thru everything these past years.

DH is pretty bad at harvest/putting up tho.... He's always enthusiastic about planting. :lol:

MtRider :lois:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I believe we have finally given the bank all the info they need to pre-qualify us for a loan on a place in FL. We might know something Friday. We kind of have a plan B, but are hoping for plan A to work!

Daily news-- Made a Salisbury Steak Casserole today. Dinner for a few days. Shot about 80+ photos for ebay. And watched some Netflix.

:sigh: Finally broke down and admitted defeat. Gotta retire my old Win7 Notebook computer. Won't open anything but email without locking up. So my folks gave me a new one today. Early B-day. A "notebook" type. Small. Simple. Don't need much. Pfft, don't have the bandwidth for much. I do a lot with word processing/documents/etc. :pc_coffee:

REALLY needed my Kindle-For-PC function back...... :gaah: [MtRider is tearing thru her paperback book stash to find BOOKS TO READ!!!]

BUT.....we have to take notebook to the library. Seriously canNOT download all that new stuff [Open Office, KindleForPC, Avast, etc from home.

MtRider .....as of tonite, we have FINALLLLLY gotten down to 79% Internet usage. Been battling this for 2 wks! Normally, we're easily in the 70's. :motz_6:

Edited by Mt_Rider

New computer...love/hate. Love the new less problems but hate trying to figure everything new out. And reloading everything. Ugh.

I got some errands run and two bags of trash dumped. Also got shelf number three cleaned out in the pantry. One more shelf left. Woot. Just hope the shelves hold. I put my juice and some bottled water on it. I put the water in the middle over the brace so....

I planned to go see Sweet Baby J. this coming week but I might be needed the week after so I'm kinda on hold. Son is having major back issues and may have some doctor appointments coming up. So I'll go when I'm needed most to babysit. Moms having hormone issues + dads back hurts = Grandma's on hold. :008Laughing:

I feel your pain on the new computer Jeepers. DH bought me a new one last year. Sometimes I hate change, especially when I'm only trying to do my work on it. :sSig_help2:

One week tonight, we will have been to the new homestead for a week. Our marriage and sanity survived. :kissy: The guys from our church (they sent us to the mission field almost 15 yrs ago) did an excellent job getting the boxes into the proper rooms. They were SO GOOD about it, I'm struggling to get the beds together in the spare rooms. And, I'm not a collector of anything. :sassing:

I have been setting aside, at least, several hours a day to work outside, since that's the reason we bought this place. :wink (2): I have about 10 acres of meadows and trails I can mow. The autumn leaf drop is a great excuse to get my compost piles up and cooking. So far, I have three of them 4'x10'x4' with mixed grass and leaves. DH watered them last night. He said that they look like Indian burial mounds (we live in Indian country). :nail:

Welllllllll...... my new notebook computer is STILL just sitting here. I'm still using DH's. Cuz yanno? .....Life happens.... :blink:

The very next day we ran DH's truck over the back way to the automotive guy. DH's CHECK ENGINE lite was on. Putting in top-grade gas and fuel injector [and I now know what those are] cleaner did not make that lite go away.

HOWEVER... our automotive guy retired/sold business a month ago. :unsure: But...so far...new guy seems good. Is very nice. Did not charge us for the extensive check he did. "I hate to the bearer of bad news and charge you too" he says. :behindsofa:

It became a family affair cuz my folks help us out from time to time. Initially it was ...share the :gaah: and lots of :pray:

THEN.....when more data came in, we realized that one can indeed run a 6 cylinder truck on 5 cylinders [even in the mts - tho that's a little more ambitious] The new guy shut off the fuel injector to the now-non-functioning cylinder. [pssst: learned that it would eventually mix with truck's oil and that's not good]. OKaaaay, DH still has vehicle to get to work. We have TIME to work on this. Time to get up money to probably put new engine in his truck. AND....[told you new guy seems nice] ....new guy is trying to grow his new business so his prices are very reasonable.

AND....God was protecting us when we purchased this used truck many years ago. It's engine is very very popular/used in many models of cars/trucks. A lot of used ones out there. Can wait to find a good, low-mileage one. :amen: Cuz there are 280000 miles on this engine.

[i think we'll keep the one-month-old radiator hose assembly.......preppers are scavengers]

AND.....my 1971 van has been ignored for a while. [i love my ugly van] :) My dad and DH are going to get that running. Probably only needs a starter .... and tires. One's FLAT! So while it's OLD 'N UGLY, it's solid. Very VERY solid. From back in the day of all metal parts. It coincidentally matches my OLD 'N UGLY horse trailer. :lol: So that will be DH's backup. And for my running up and down the driveway HILL. [My driveway is a mountain side!] :0327:

And....I am totally at peace with these choices. I think this is a good solution. And it is not immediate.....other than 'the guys' do not want to be working on the van in winter so will try to choose warm, windless days ....soon.

MtRider ....winter cometh :frozen:

Edited by Mt_Rider

We got our two bins of apples Thursday. Sold 24 bushels and kept 16. We made applesauce yesterday from 5 bushels. Got 74 qts of sauce and 12 half gallons of juice. I picked all the ripe tomatoes and peppers in the Barn Garden and the Creek Garden before dark. I think I'll have enough romas to make a third batch of spaghetti sauce. We made 10 pints with onion and garlic for DH and Mom, then 8 or 9 pts for DD and me without that, since we can't eat alliums. It was thicker than the first batch and didn't make as much and oh so delicious!! So we want to make another one for us. It was 32 degrees this morning and some frost but didn't seem to hurt anything. We still have lots of green cherry tomatoes and green peppers.

Then today, I feel like I'm taking ANOTHER cold! :( Today, I canned the last of the juice, swept the downstairs and mopped the kitchen. That totally wore me out. After I rest a bit, I want to go to the Barn Garden and pick the okra. I saw it yesterday but forgot to take a knife with me and didn't want to come back to the house to get one.

DD is making bread. I need to deal with my tomato seeds. You have to put them in lidded containers and let a white fungus grow over them, then wash them in a sieve under running water, then spread out to dry. I have several varieties "incubating" and 3 or 4 more to fix up. This is supposed to kill viruses, etc.

Homesteader, yay for you!

Been a busy, busy three days. Did get one goal of my own accomplished though :-) The living room at the homestead is now cleared enough for us to bring the rest of our livingroom furniture from the Roost. Also sorted through A LOT of stuff and put it away in the process. We'd just been stepping in the door and dumping the boxes or sacks "somewhere" in the livingroom :-( Still got a few boxes to go through but they're out of the way for right now. Today I vacuum sealed all of my new spices, herbs and teas. I'll get them over to the homestead soon. Oh...NEVER...I repeat NEVER cough when you're pouring deactivated charcoal powder through a funnel into a jar :24: Create your own visuals :008Laughing: Finally got the jar sealed and the mess cleaned up, and my nose and hands cleaned up :happy0203: Probably going to take a few days to get my finger nails cleared up.

Have a wonderful 3 days, Grma Jeepers! :wub:

Daylily, just reading all that you did made me TIRED! I read it to DH.....cuz both of us are groaning about tonite. :groooansmileyf: I hope you aren't really getting a cold again tho!

Charcoal powder....cough.... :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044:

Oye.....I woke up to the phone ringing and it didn't quit alllll day. One call announced that our friends finally got their hay in the barn and we can come on over any time. DH was working all day to clear out the old van, charge up the battery, all misc thing so he and my dad can replace the starter/celenoid(sp) tomorrow [hopefully -- nothin' is for certain when you're old] .

Kept getting calls. Got dressed to pull last of onions from the beds DH attended to this summer. Phone rang..... Hour later, got down to dig onions. OW OW OW OW.... <_< DH did not mention I needed leather gloves. Did he never weed this summer? THISTLES!!!!!

Got them pulled but since I could not possibly sit down and scoot or even kneel without getting stuck by thistles, my back felt it worse. <_< Wow do they have a strong smell. Strong flavor too from the one we tried. A little will go a long ways. At least we had Something to harvest. :lois:

Rode horse to get my hips from aching at night.

Phone rang as we drove up the hill to house....and into phone reception range. My mom says....You were supposed to call your dad back. :scratchhead: When? I just got off the horse! .....since it was nearly dark, they thot we'd be inside already. Not! So he and DH set up for the big van renewal project tomorrow. Hoping for no wind and warm temp. No rain. ??? And ....success! :pray:

DH and I threw together spaghetti squash and tomato sauce.....time to eat!

MtRider :feedme:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I started cutting the meadow with my little mower and grass catcher. I figure it will take over a week to mow the 10 acres at 2-3 hrs a day. It's a back-breaker but I'm learning the lay of the land while I'm mowing. Love it! :hapydancsmil:

The grass/leaves are being dumped into large piles and watered down. I plan to use the piles next year for compost. DH says they look like Indian burial grounds (we live around Indian settlements in Wisconsin). B)

He asked me yesterday when I was going to fire up the rototiller and start my gardens. He shouldn't have asked because he was given the chore of getting it running and making the first several passes in the field. He came up with the bright idea of mowing the grass to the ground to help me break up the sod (not much sod in sand country). ;) I think it helped. The grass was dumped back on the tilled area and incorporated back into the soil. I ended up with 4-ft wide beds about 40-ft long, each. I'll divide them up next year with walking paths. At least I've got organic matter breaking down in them during the winter to help off-set the sand. :0327:

post-35-0-20070700-1476188416_thumb.jpg post-35-0-48677400-1476188594_thumb.jpg post-35-0-01269000-1476188916_thumb.jpg

Oh Mt Rider, we didn't do the applesauce and the tomato sauces all in the same day! I do indeed have a head cold. I had to reschedule Mom's appointment at the Cancer Center today because I feel so badly.

Homesteader, that is so exciting! You're getting a great start on a good garden for next year.

Jeepers, I second the enjoyment recommendation :)

WE2, I have experience with charcoal! It's a wonderful remedy but sure can make a mess.

My old N ugly van is now running. Uh...that's not to say "moving" yet. Engine is purring along, basically. But the flat tire is still an issue. The wind kept getting worse and worse until I'd estimate it was Mach 3.5 on my scale. My folks had already gone home but our property management couple had arrived to unload ladders/scaffolding for staining the logs the end of this week.

We've already had what I call MACH 5 twice in the past few weeks. Asked B if he was going to spray and he said no. Good thing if the WIND is this bad or worse. Now it's back down ....still WINDY but not so Mind And Nerve SHREDDING as it was. :twister3: This valley creates the velocity that even friends up/over the ridge don't get.

MtRider ....pretty property, Homesteader. Flat for garden. Just need about a ton and a half of compost, huh?

Edited by Mt_Rider