MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My Pruning System

At about 10:00am I looked out my front windows. There was a huge deer standing there looking back at me. I think my porch is about 6ft. wide so he was about 7ft. away from me. He dropped his head and continued feasting on my deer-proof plants.

I had a few thoughts go through my mind. The first was how big and beautiful he was. Gorgeous animal. Then I thought about what it would be like to harness him and make a ‘service deer’ out of him. That thought didn’t last as long as the first one. Then I thought about scaring him off because, well, he was eating my shrubs.

Every once in a while he looked up at me. Deer are way too tame around here. As I stood there watching him, I noticed he was doing a perfect job of pruning the shrubs. Seriously! He must have been eating just the new tender growth. After finishing off his meal of my deer-resistance spirea he made a desert of my deer-resistance burning bush. I have three of them around the light post. I planted them about 10 years ago and they are still only about 2 ft. tall. But nicely pruned. Sigh.

My last thought was about the cicada infestation we are soon to be graced with. Then I wasn’t so bothered by a few deer nibbles after all. Prune those bushes big guy before the plague of cicadas descend on them and strip them clean. He finished off the new tender succulent burning bush sprouts, gave one last look at me (I’m pretty sure I noticed a smile of thanks) walked to the curb and looked both ways and crossed over to the neighbor’s yard to give them a helping hoof.

By the way, the deer in our subdivisions around here do look before they cross the street. Maybe because the cars are going slow and they notice them more and are used to them since they live in our yards?

Not once, until now, did I think about venison. Today, I’m just glad we are both well fed.

:coffeescreen:

I have a few stray bars of Irish Spring....'spose it will work on MICE?

:sigh:

Have mice again. I hear dog kibble rolling every time I turn on my dryer.....cuz the exhaust pipe doesn't exhaust outside [don't ask] ...it lays across the garage/basement floor. The Bucket O Death caught it's first victim in MONTHS! And DH repaired the chewed HOLE in the rolling garbage container that holds the dog food. 2+2 ALWAYS equals MICE! Those doggie kibbles didn't roll out of the bag and into my dryer pipe by themselves!

MtRider ...generally, I don't share my space well with other species... :frying pan:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Oh no, not more rodents. They must really like you. I thought I might have had a mouse in the house a couple of weeks ago but I never saw or heard anything else. Something fell over and it couldn't have happened by itself. :shrug:

Amazing how those little pruners know how to measure too. Just when you get your hopes up...snip. Birds are bad about that too. One year a starling clipped off all of our green beans after they were up about 5 inches. Didn't even eat them. Just cut them off and left them lying beside the plant. I don't think I've ever seen my mild-mannered FIL so angry.

Sounds just like a starlings or in my case it was an angry mother turkey that once again lost her babies to cold rain. I felt so bad for her, never bothered her just watched her nip or pull up all my flowers in one bed.

I heard stuff??? rolling down the wall so got a 6 pk of Irish Spring , cut 4 of the bars in fourths and tossed them as far as I could in all directions. Guess it worked, all is quiet now. I smelled something a couple of days but I think the soap keeps them from getting rank.

Took your Irish Spring thing Twilight, and cut a bar in half and positioned them in the small pantry room here. Haven't seen or heard anything...but no nibbles on the soap either :-)? But...today did notice what smells like one that met it's demise. Been trying to follow the odor to see if I can find the carcass...but...it may be coming in our kitchen window (it has a fan in it) from outside. We haven't turned on any a/c yet this year, so that window stays open (it's the only one that will open) all the time unless it's blowing rain in, and then I just shut the storm.

I picked up soup from a deli yesterday and on my way out, two small fawn came out of small patch of woods buffering the shopping center parking lot from a neighborhood in the heart of the city. So. Cute. That swath of woods is probably no more than 10 feet wide at its widest point.