MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Freeze-drying at home

• 4 months later...

A follow-on to this. The freezing unit, reportedly, works in the 'Slow' temperature range, limiting it's use. No, we do not have one in the enclave, but observing reports from others. Some unhappy customers.

Quoting from the Librum FaceBook website:

"Another update from the ICS side of the house. Due to the new 'home freeze drying' machines appearing on the market, and their freezing limitations, a request for prioritization change of ICS TP 5139 (1952) Quick Freezing of Foods was received. The Archivist did so, and it is now up. This training paper details the types of freezing, temperatures, etc for various types of foods. Sharp vs Quick vs Slow, etc."

It's at the archive in the ICS TP section, icsarchive.org. Ummm....

http://www.icsarchive.org/tp/5139-1952_quick_freezing_of_foods.pdf

A good read, even if a bit too technical for me.

Sarah

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

They now have three sizes. The papa bear size is $4k, the mama bear size is $3k, and the baby bear size is $2400 with this week's sale. I can't imagine buying one that wasn't on sale.

• 8 months later...

Glad to see they are still working on this. Hopefully freeze drying will go the way of dehydrators and microwaves. Meaning smaller and cheaper. I hope! Wouldn't it be nice to have a freeze dryer the size of an Excalibur dehydrator instead of the size of a washing machine?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2017 at 7:06 AM, Ambergris said:

Small: $1795 + Free Starter Kit
Standard: $2095 + Free Starter Kit
Large: $2795 + Free Starter Kit

Closer...

On one of the FB loops, someone said this price (the November special) can be set in stone with a $250 deposit.

Sounds like my kind of Christmas Mt3b. I'm getting fence and tree removal that Mother Nature decided I no longer need. And maybe a new printer I have my eye on so I can better print out g-sons preschool work sheets. I'm holding out on that for Christmas sales.  Pfffft. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I went ahead and joined a user group.  Am learning a lot about things that can go wrong.  Apparently the most problematic part is the oil filter, which users frequently replace with a roll of Scott tissue.

• Like 2

Another year or two, maybe. The idea of these is SO COOL. This coming year we're putting braces on two of our girls and hoping to add a few cows to our little farm, so hopefully that's where our money will be going. In the past three months we've replaced the roof and two of the appliances, so I'm hoping the HOUSE won't need anything else for a while!!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

He said that the scratch&dent models are $1300 with free shipping.  I haven't been able to luck into one of those, so I got the next cheapest thing.  I expect DSI to have a cow, as he has been insisting we not buy any new stuff until after the move.  Oh well.

And here's this, with Matt's permission, for anyone near N.C.: 

freeze dryer
$1,200
Monroe, NC

I have a Harvest Right freeze dryer that has never been used and am looking to sale. It was received as a gift and we had no room to use it. The unit is a Red Standard size with the digital display. It is located in the Charlotte, NC area and I will consider delivery to someone within a reasonable distance. The 1 year warranty has passed on this unit, so I am only asking $1200 for it. Please PM me with any questions and I will be happy to help.

Thank you Betty for your permission to list this and I apologize for it taking so long to get it on here.

Edited by Ambergris
  • 7 months later...

I just remembered that I will have room for a freeze dryer in the detached garage when I move. Maybe the price will come down a little more by next summer.

I've been binge watching a guy on Youtube who does all kinds of freeze drying. Some things are pretty far out there but he gives it a try. It's pretty impressive actually.

The name is Epicenter Bryan:

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/EpicenterBryan/videos?disable_polymer=1

@Jeepers oh, those are SO COOL. Someday, maybe, I would like one also. They are SO BIG - imagine the produce you could process. Putting one in the garage sounds like a good idea.