MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Radishes lower blood sugar

I had forgotten this thread on radishes and blood sugar and thanks again for the cinnamon info .... I've used cinnamon and chili powder as an anti inflammatory for a few years now, heard cinnamon was good for losing weight and maybe because it controls the sugar level that's why??

Chili powder also regulates blood pressure but I have not tested that out for myself but maybe I can try that out this week. Got to eat the rest of those chili beans in the frig anyway tomorrow . :grinning-smiley-044: ( homemade ones), so I can estimate how much maybe, ball park figure here cause it was sorta soupy to start out with, lol.... but its good test.

Can be more exact next time I take out the chili powder though. Have some beef I can use for that. :thumbs::feedme:

I need to tell a good older friend who can garden still on his farm's front yard to grow radishes if he doesn't have the reflux problem and try those. He had to go on insulin recently, this might help if his sugar is still running pretty high.

Edited by arby

I'm type 2 and I am really bad about not watching my sugar levels at all - always getting yelled at by my mom - good thing she is 200mi away. Will go get some radishes and make up a bunch of veggies to snack on. Trying to loose weight and getting my sugars under control wouldn't be a bad idea and will really help too! Thanks for the info!

• 6 months later...

Garden Radish (Cruciferae/Brassicaceae Raphanus sativus)

Annual or biennial herb with a round spindle-shaped tuberous taproot of various colors, branched stem and lyrate, pinnate lobed, toothed leaves. Leaves are stiffly hairy, white or pinkish flowers have dark veins and arranged in a longish terminal raceme. The fruit is siliqua which is prolonged into a narrow seedless beak. Seeds are brown.

The garden radish was grown as a vegetable by ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans, thought to be a native of western Asia. Many forms are cultivated, the black rooted variety is the one used for medicinal purposes. The leaves are edible, however, poisonous to livestock if they eat it in large quantities. The black roots contain antiseptic thioglucosinolates, vitamins C & B complex and mineral salts. Raw they have antiseptic, tonic, carminative, choleretic and stomachie actions.

They are used slice or grated on bread and butter, or the pressed juice alone is taken for hepatitus and gall bladder disorders (not for gall bladder inflammation), galstones, digestive disorders and homeopathy. The red, red and white and white radishes are less potent and mostly used in salads.

~~~~~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radish

Radishes are rich in ascorbic acid, folic acid, and potassium. They are a good source of vitamin B6, riboflavin, magnesium, copper, and calcium. One cup of sliced red radish bulbs provides approximately 20 calories, largely from carbohydrates. [1]

~~~~~

Nice to know they are useful for other things too.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the reminder, Michael. I plant mine in pots to keep the bugs from burrowing into them.

they say that if you sprinkle some salt over the plants that it will keep the bugs away? Also keep the slugs from eating the radish that is above the ground because they will not cross the salt?

But you will have to do it after every rain as it gets washed away. Doesn't seam to change the taste any.

:AmishMichaelstraw: