MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tea Tree Oil

Westy, you are just amazing. thanks

Now if I could just GROW it here. I'd be happy. Guess I'll stock up some more.

bighug

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to process it would take far more equipment then I have or have room for it I could afford it.

as long as it is kept in a cool dark place it will last a long time.

I like TTO, I use it in my mop water, to wipe off counter tops and in my laundry when I had the boys at home.

Originally Posted By: westbrook
for those that can't find tea tree oil... try wal-mart or your local health food store.

You can ususally purchase it through your local pharmacy as well.
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Westbrook/"Westy"--I'd like to put my own two cents in on the subject of tea tree oil. Hope this particular aspect of the use hasn't already been done to death somewhere in the discussion threads.

My wife Leah (you know her from these forums) turned me on to tea tree oil about six months ago, and it has worked miracles for my skin. We live up near the Canadian border where the winters are fairly mild, but quite long-(It is snowing as I write this on March 30) and my face would peel like the wallpaper in an abandoned house, because of exposure to the cold.

Then Leah let me try some tea tree oil, and now I use it every day, while she only uses it in emergencies. I rub my face down with water, then moisten my fingertips with the concentrated oil and rub it everywhere. I think it even helps with crows-feet and bags under the eyes, it makes the skin quite supple. I feel years younger.

I presume a tea tree is some kind of plant that a person could grow. Don't know how one would get the oil out though.

By the way, "Westy", I have read your posts often as I lurked here, and have always been entertained and informed by them.

Good work.

Peace and Love--

and some virtual chocolate truffles

BowlOfTruffles.JPG

Tea tree oil is from a myrtle-like tree in the melaleuca family. This is closely related to the melaleuca that is taking over the everglades, but as far as I know the weed-melaleuca is not the same one they get the oil from.

seeds -

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/SeedlistLA-LE.htm

Leptospermum scoparium v. scoparium. (a!,v) LEPT-40S. Packet: $2.00

'MANUKA', 'NEW ZEALAND TEA-TREE'. White 1/2" wide five-petaled flowers abundantly produced in spring and summer. Compact shrub to 3 - 12 feet. with needle-like 1/2" leaves. SE Australia to New Zealand. Easily grown and one of the hardiest. A tea of the aromatic leaves was drunk by Captain Cook to prevent scurvy, and is medicinal.

-

http://www.ehow.com/how_15197_grow-australian-tea.html

--

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w98/teatrees.html

Therapeutic properties of Australian tea tree oil

(Also assuring that you have the proper plant)

--

http://www.uspharmacist.com/oldformat.asp?...es/Alte/tea.cfm

A member of the family Myrtaceae, the tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) is one of over 150 species of Melaleuca, which is indigenous to Australia. The tea tree grows in swampy, low-lying areas on the northern coast of New South Wales, where the leaves of the tree have been used by aborigines for centuries as a local antiseptic. Later settlers began to use the leaves to treat a variety of skin disorders such as cuts, burns, insect bites, and athlete�s foot. The leaves are the medicinally useful part of the plant and contain a volatile essential oil known as tea tree oil. Less commonly, tea tree oil is extracted from M. linariifolia and M. dissitiflora.

Cultivated from seed, tea tree leaves can be harvested from a plant in about 12?8 months.

Originally Posted By: Skagitgal
Tree tea oil is a FANTASTIC way to cure the ITCH / Pain of Shingles. Wet a cotton ball with TTO, hold in place with a bandaid. AHHHHHHHHHH. Apply 3 times daily.

Skagital, thanks! I brought my mom some tea tree oil this morning. She's been dealing with flareups of shingles for quite some time and the meds the doctors gave her weren't a lot of help. She did the cottonball thing on a bad spot on her face, fell asleep and woke up a few hours later and said it's working! woohoo
  • 1 month later...

I've found it immensely helpful for bug bites - rub it in vigorously and let it dry. It burns, but pulls out the toxins.

I was bit by a couple of spiders and did this - headed off the infection so fast, a scab-type pimple peeled off a few days later leaving new skin beneath.

• 3 years later...

:bump1:

I have a bad rash that is so itchy I feel like I could scratch my own skin off! At first I thought it was just very dry skin. Baby oil, Bag Balm, A&D diaper rash ointment, Vaseline, Udder Cream, hydrocortisone cream, haven't given me much relief.

The only thing new in my diet is a gluten-free muffin I've been making at home, so I think I'm reacting to one of the ingredients in that (not a gluten reaction though). I didn't realize that may be it until yesterday, though. Yesterday morning, it was only on my legs. Now it's on my arms and stomach. I'm taking Benedryl. DH is going to go to the store when he gets off of work to get Lanacane (sp). If that doesn't help, I'm going to try tea tree oil.

Does anyone have dosage information that they wouldn't mind sharing? I'd really appreciate it!!!!

I have books on supplements/vitamins. There's info on what conditions are good to use tea tree oil for, but no dosage/dilution ratio information. I have sensitive skin, so I know to just try a little on a small part of my rash, but I don't know what "a little" is.

I ordered NOW brand 100% pure tea tree oil. On the label it says:

Suggested Use: For aromatherapy use. For all other uses, carefully dilute with a carrier oil such as jojoba, grapeseed, olive, or almond oil prior to use. Please consult an essential oil book or other professional reference source for suggested dilution ratios.

Natural essential oils are highly concentrated and should be used with care.

Essential Oil: 3 to 5 drops

Base Oil: 5ml (1 tsp)

Tea tree oil can also be used as a "Neat Application" - undiluted as a spot treatment.

I would suggest you choose a least sensitive spot to test whether you are sensitive to it or not.

I have used the neat application without any adverse effects.

• 6 months later...

Keep Tea Tree Oil on hand but not stocked. A bit pricey for us right now. However, it is very good mixed with Noxema and some Lavender facial mask for insect bites. Just a few tiny drops mixed with about 5 TBSP of Noxema and 1 TBSP of lavendar facial mask. I buy the lavendar facial mask at Dollar Tree, but I'm sure you could use other types...cucumber? Dab it on the bite (mosquito!) and let it take out the itchy itchy!This little forum has soooo much good things about it!