MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

poverty cooking

here is a recipe to make bisquick!

Bisquick

Bisquick is simply a pre mix of flour and the shortening. The following recipe comes from the book: oops I no longer have the title page, but it's something like _Make Your Own Food_ check the library (which is a very good book full of good recipes).

***Biscuit Mix***

Ingredients:

4 cups unbleached white flour

2/3 cup instant non fat dry milk

1 tsp salt

3 tbsp double acting baking powder

1/2 cup good veretable oil

Mix flour, milk, salt and baking powder together in blender or food processor. Mix well, then blend in the oil. Empty into covered container, and store in fridge until needed.

This yields about 5 cups of mix. Each cup of mix makes about six biscuits.

To make biscuits:

add 1/2 cup water to each 1 cup of mix.

Roll out dough 1/2 inch thick on lightly floured board, cut into biscuits & bake on a greased cookie sheet in a pre heated 425 deg. oven for approx. 10 minutes.

http://oldrecipebook.com/bisquick-donuts.shtml

How to Make Bisquick Donuts

and Gingerbread

You are here:

Old Recipes Home >> Bisquick Recipes >>Bisquick Donuts

Bisquick Doughnuts

2 cups Bisquick

1/4 cup sugar

1/8 tsp. cinnamon

1/8 tsp. nutmeg

2 eggs

2 tbsp. milk

Combine Bisquick, sugar and spices. Add milk and well beaten eggs; beat well to smooth up batter. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut with doughnut cutter and fry in deep fat which has been heated to 390 F. or until a cube of bread browns in the fat in 40 seconds. Turn the doughnuts as they begin to puff up and color, and keep turning until they are golden brown. This makes 1 dozen medium-sized doughnuts.

Fritters

Vegetable or fruit

2 cups Bisquick

2 eggs

3/4 cup milk

Add vegetables or fruit to Bisquick. Beat eggs well and add to milk. Stir into the Bisquick mixture and mix well. Drop by small spoonfuls into deep fat, turning and frying until golden brown on both sides. Drain on brown paper. Serve hot with maple syrup. Temperature of Fat should be heated to 360 F. or until a cube of bread browns in 60 seconds.

Note: For vegetables use about 2 cups cooked corn, cut up parsnips or carrots. For fruit use chopped apples, bananas, peaches, apricots or pineapple. Or halves of bananas may be split lengthwise and dipped in the batter and fried. Also halves of peaches or apricots, or slices of apple cut crosswise to make rings. Be sure to drain canned fruit well before using.

Bisquick Gingerbread

1 3/4 cups Bisquick

1 tsp. ginger

1 tsp. cinnamon

12 tsp. cloves

2 eggs

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup molasses

1/4 cup melted shortening

Mix together Bisquick, spices and brown sugar. Beat eggs well and add milk. Add to the Bisquick mixture and beat well. Then add melted shortening and molasses and beat again. Pour into a well greased deep 7 inch square pan and bake 40 minutes in a moderate oven, 350 F.

Just this morning, we put 2 pork steaks in the crockpot with seasonings and a can of cream of mushroom soup. When we got in from church, we heated a pint of green beans, some instant mashed potatoes, and frozen brussel sprouts. Served up the veggies, put down the potatoes, and piled the pork (falling apart) and the gravy over the potatoes. Three people (DS is 23) on $3.50 only because the soup was 70 cents and the pork steaks were a dollar apiece.lol.

Originally Posted By: ArmyOfFive4God
I just checked out a book from the library. "The Civil War Cookbook." It is fabulous so far. It's on my wish list now.

is this the one you got out of the Library?

ISBN 1561382876 : $12.98
Personal Author Davis, W. C. (William C.)
Title The Civil War cookbook / William C. Davis.
Publication info Philadelphia, PA : Courage Books, c1993.
Physical descrip 93 p.
Held by GORHAM ALLENSHILL WARSAW
Subject term Cookery--Civil War.

Summary
Every Civil War buff will want to own this unique cookbook, which takes the reader right into the kitchens of 19th-century America. Illustrated with wonderful period photographs, it intertwines history and food for a fascinating new look at the lives of Civil War soldiers and their families. Traditional recipes,
read more...

I hope so as I just put it on hold at our inner Library Loan.

thanks for the heads up

:AmishMichael2:

Originally Posted By: Dora
Just this morning, we put 2 pork steaks in the crockpot with seasonings and a can of cream of mushroom soup. When we got in from church, we heated a pint of green beans, some instant mashed potatoes, and frozen brussel sprouts. Served up the veggies, put down the potatoes, and piled the pork (falling apart) and the gravy over the potatoes. Three people (DS is 23) on $3.50 only because the soup was 70 cents and the pork steaks were a dollar apiece.lol.

Now that sounds like a good meal!

guess what we are making in the next few days - seeiing we have eeverything on hand to make it!

I had also wanted to add, that I make many pantry items myself. I also keep Bisquick on hand, but it's home made. Stores just fine for quite awhile in plastic storage bags. I also make ranch dressing mix, brownie and cake mix, seasonings, etc to have on hand. That six pounds of bisquick I can make for a buck and change. We go through a LOT of ranch dressing mix so that saves us a tremendous amount of money. We use bisquick for biscuits and pancakes, also saving tons of money, considering how much of that we go through.

Mo7

Originally Posted By: MommyofSeven
I had also wanted to add, that I make many pantry items myself. I also keep Bisquick on hand, but it's home made. Stores just fine for quite awhile in plastic storage bags. I also make ranch dressing mix, brownie and cake mix, seasonings, etc to have on hand. That six pounds of bisquick I can make for a buck and change. We go through a LOT of ranch dressing mix so that saves us a tremendous amount of money. We use bisquick for biscuits and pancakes, also saving tons of money, considering how much of that we go through.

Mo7

Like you, I make many of those things myself - I just wasn't savvy enough back then. Boy, I sure wish I knew it then! I could have saved even MORE money, and added a little diversity to those meals!

I've been trying hard to stay away from alot of prepared foods, but something like a Bisquik mix is indispensible, I think. ONe of the BEST cookie-in-a-jar recipes I've ever used, uses Bisquik (or its equivalent) as a flour base. Good stuff!

Westbrook -

Thanks for the recipe, and the link for the donuts - I think the Bisquik mix recipe you listed is slightly different than the one I've used before, so I'm anxious to try it out. If I recall correctly, the one I have uses shortening instead of oil, and only 2Tbsp. Baking powder.

Have to try this recipe out! :sSig_thankyou:

post yours! I just went out to find a couple to post so others would be able to make it up cheaply. I don't use bisquick...perhaps I should.

Bis-Qwick-Baking-Mix

You can make tons of recipes with this simple baking mix, saving you time and money.

INGREDIENTS:

* 8 cups flour

* 1-1/4 cups nonfat dry milk powder

* 1/4 cup baking powder

* 1 Tbsp. salt

* 2 cups solid vegetable shortening

PREPARATION:

In a large bowl, combine flour, milk, baking powder, and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in shortening until the mixture looks like coarse cornmeal and the shortening is evenly distributed.

Store in tightly closed covered container in a dark, cool place. Use in place of 'Bisquick' in any recipe.

BIS-QWICK RECIPES

Bis-qwick Biscuits

2 cup mix

1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Blend mix and water together in medium bowl just until dry ingredients are moistened. Knead gently on a floured board 4-5 times. Roll or pat dough about 1/2" thick. Cut out biscuits and place on ungreased baking sheet.

Bake at 450 degrees about 9-10 minutes or until golden brown.

Bis-qwick Pancakes

2 cups mix

1 egg

1 cup water

Blend together the mix, egg and water. Pour by 1/4 cup measures onto lightly greased hot griddle. Cook until bubbles appear on surface and edges look dry. Flip pancakes and cook 1-2 minutes on second side. Makes 12-15 pancakes.

Bis-qwick Muffins

3 cups mix

2 Tbsp. sugar

1 cup water

1 egg

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Blend wet ingredients in one bowl and dry ingredients in another. Stir wet ingredients into dry just to moisten.

Spoon batter into greased muffin cups and bake about 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown. Add spices like 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, or 1/4 tsp. nutmeg or 1/4 tsp. allspice, if desired.

Bis-qwick Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened

2-1/2 cups brown sugar

3 eggs

4 cups mix

1 cup chopped nuts

12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together butter, brown sugar and eggs until well mixed; stir in mix, nuts and chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoon 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake about 8-10 minutes until light brown. Makes 4 dozen

Parmesan Biscuits

2-1/2 cups mix

3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese

1 tsp. dried chives

1 tsp. dried oregano leaves

1/4 cup cold butter or margarine

2/3 cup milk

2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted

2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine Bisquick, 3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, chives and oregano in large bowl. Cut 1/4 cup cold butter into 1/4" pieces. Add butter pieces to Bis-quick mixture and blend with fork until particles are fine. Add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Turn dough out onto surface dusted with flour. Shape into a ball; knead gently 4-5 times. Roll dough 1/2" thick and cut with 2" biscuit cutter dipped in Bis-quick. Brush tops of biscuits with 2 Tbsp. melted butter and sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese.

Place biscuits on lightly greased baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes at 450 degrees or until light brown.

Baking Mix Recipe

Ingredients

8 cups all-purpose flour (or 4 cups each all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour)

2 tablespoons baking powder

1 tablespoonsalt

2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 cups dry nonfat milk

2 cups shortening

Instructions

Mix all dry ingredients together in large bowl (if you have a large mixer it is ideal to use for blending this mix but it can also be done quite adequately using a pastry blender to cut in shortening). Add shortening about a half cup at a time mixing well after each addition. Mixture will be mealy when mixed adequately. Put in air-tight container and store either in refrigerator or at room temperature. Use within about 3 months.

For Biscuits:

Mix 2 cups of Baking Mix with 1/2 cup water. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.

For Muffins:

Mix 2 cups of Baking Mix with 2 Tbsp sugar, 1 beaten egg and 2/3 cup milk. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.

For Pancakes:

Mix 2 cups of baking mix with 1 beaten egg and 1-1/3 cup milk.

For Waffles:

Mix 2 cups of Baking Mix with 1 beaten egg, 2 Tbsp oil, and 1-1/3 cup milk.

Notes: You can use this mix to make biscuits, dumplings, muffins, coffee cake, pancakes and waffles. It can also be used as an ingredient in casseroles and desserts.

Yield: about 12 cups of mix

When we had a house full of children we had very little money. It was amazing the things I put together that the kids NOW want recipes for because it was their favorites. One thing was a left over spoon of vegetables w/broth that I put in a container in the freezer INSTEAD of throwing it out. When I got a full container I thawed it and put it in a Dutch oven and covered it with broth thickened a little from the back, neck etc. pieces of a chicken I'd boiled. Put a flour crust on top and baked it. One of our foster daughters wanted the recipe. She was SHOCKED, to say the least, when I finally convinced her it was all leftover veggies with no clue as to what and how much of each. She told me she would NEVER bother with saving such amounts nor would she ever buy any part of the chicken but chicken breasts. I shrugged and told her I hope'd she'd never have to but if something happens you will learn quickly that it's NOT a bad thing.

I also kept the ends of the bread and froze them. When bread or rolls went stale on me (which was rare) I froze them too. When I had enough I thawed and crumbled them in a baking dish. We had our own milk and eggs I'd mix up, added a little cinnamon if I had any, raisins if I had any, butter, if I had any and poured it over the bread. Baked it and had marvelous bread pudding.

Brown a little hamburger and put in a sauce pan. Add a quart of tomato juice, pealed and chunked potatoes, chunks of carrot, onion, celery, or again, whatever you have on had. Salt and pepper to taste and serve when veggies are cooked. Mix up a batch of biscuits and serve with butter and jelly or honey.

I haven't read all these posts because I don't have time right now so I do hope if someone has already said this you'll forgive me BUT if things get bad and you don't have money or a lot of food, you'll figure out what to do with you have. It's not hard, it just becomes a way of life and you'll find many delicious dishes are just a thought or two away.

Don't panic! :)

How to Make Biscuits

and Gravy Recipes

You are here:

Old Recipe Book >> Bakery >> Biscuits

Also see the recipes for Bisquick Biscuits

Easy Baking Powder Biscuits (Recipe 1974)

Biscuits made with oil2 cups flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup salad oil

2/3 cups milk

Preheat oven to 450 F. Sift dry ingredients into a medium bowl. Pour salad oil, then milk into a 1 cup measure; do not mix. Pour all at once into the flour mixture. With a fork, stir to make a soft dough. Turn out dough onto a sheet of waxed paper. (Place wax paper on a damp surface to keep it from slipping.) Knead about 10 times, to make a smooth dough. Roll out dough, 1/2 inch thick, between 2 sheets of wax paper. Remove the top sheet. Cut with unfloured 2 inch biscuit cutter. Place 1 inch apart, on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

My Notes: When I made these, they were pretty easy to make. I did not bother with the waxed paper. I found the dough easy to roll out on my clean counter. It did not stick, even to the drinking glass I used as a biscuit cutter. View the picture to see how mine turned out. They are not a light flakey biscuit, but they were okay. Makes about 6

How to Make Milk Gravy:

1. For each cup of gravy you need 2 tablespoons of fat, whether bacon grease, sausage grease or butter. So measure 2 tablespoons of fat back into the skillet.

2. Add flour: Measure 2 Tablespoons of flour for each cup of gravy. Cook the gravy in the grease till frothy over medium heat.

3. The liquid you add should be lukewarm. Add 1 cup of liquid slowly, and stirring constantly. Cook till thick, turn to low and simmer without stirring 5 minutes.

Gravy Tip: I read that if you add a little salt to the flour before adding to the grease, the gravy has a less tendency to become lumpy. I usually stir the gravy with a pancake turner. It smashes any lumps that try to form. Last resort - Pour it all into a blender and blend.

Gravy Made with Cornstarch

Pour off all but 2 Tbsp. fat drippings from roasting pan. Add 1 3/4 cups broth or water. Cook over medium heat, stirring to loosten browned bits. Remove from heat. Mix 2 tbsp cornstarch and 1.4 cup cold water until smooth. Stir into pan. Season to taste. Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium heat; boil 1 minute. Makes 2 cups.

Microwave Gravy

In 1 1/2 quart microvaveable bowl stir 2 Tbsp. cornstarch and 2 cups cold broth or water until smooth. Season to taste. Microwave on high (100%), stirring twice. 7-9 minutes or until mixture boils; boil 1 minute. Remove from microwave. Stir in 2 Tbsp. fat drippings. Makes 2 cups.

Biscuits

2 cups flour

1 tsp. salt

1/4 cup milk

4 tsp. baking powder

4 Tbsp. shortening

Mix as usual. Roll out and cut with a biscuit cutter. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.

My Notes: I made these biscuits, but 1/4 cup milk was not enough, (see recipe below says 3/4 cup). I put them in a 450 oven, but it still seemed like it took longer, and they still were not browning on top, and they were not done in the middle. frown Next time I am going to try these baking powder biscuits and you might want to try them too.

Basic Baking Powder Biscuits (Recipe from 1953)

2 cups flour

4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons shortening

3/4 cup milk

Sift flour, salt and baking powder together. Rub shortening in with fingertips. Add milk slowly and mix to a soft dough. Roll out on a slightly floured board to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter. Bake in quick oven 400 F 10 to 15 minutes Yield 12 biscuits.

Quick and Easy Biscuits

1 cup self rising flour

2/3 cup milk

dash of salt

2 Tbsp mayonnaise

Mix well and bake in well greased muffin tins at 400 degrees until brown.

Baking Powder Biscuit I (Fanny Farmer 1893)

2 cups bread flour

1 tablespoon lard

5 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup milk and water in equal parts

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon butter

Mix dry ingredients, and sift twice.

Work in butter and lard with tips of fingers; add gradually the liquid, mixing with knife to a soft dough. It is impossible to determine the exact amount of liquid, owing to differences in flour. Toss on a floured board, pat and roll lightly to one-half inch in thickness. Shape with a biscuit-cutter. Place on buttered pan, and bake in hot oven twelve to fifteen minutes. If baked in too slow an oven, the gas will escape before it has done its work.

Baking Powder Biscuit II (Fanny Farmer 1893)

2 cups bread flour

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

Work in butter and lard with tips of fingers; add gradually the liquid, mixing with knife to a soft dough. It is impossible to determine the exact amount of liquid, owing to differences in flour. Toss on a floured board, pat and roll lightly to one-half inch in thickness. Shape with a biscuit-cutter. Place on buttered pan, and bake in hot oven twelve to fifteen minutes. If baked in too slow an oven, the gas will escape before it has done its work.

Emergency Biscuit (Fanny Farmer Recipe 1893)

Use recipe for Baking Powder Biscuit I or II, with the addition of more milk, that mixture may be dropped from spoon without spreading. Drop by spoonfuls on a buttered pan, one-half inch apart. Brush over with milk, and bake in hot oven eight minutes.

Sausage Biscuits (Recipe from 1953)

2 cups flour

3/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons shortening

3/4 cup milk

8 sausages

Cut shortening into mixed and sifted dry ingredients. Add milk gradually stirring with a knife. Toss onto a floured pastry cloth and cut in 3 inch round biscuits. Place a pan fried sausage in the center of each biscuit and roll up. Place on oiled pastry sheet and bake in 450 F oven 15 minutes. Yield 8 biscuits.

Blueberry Drop Biscuits (Recipe from 1963)

1 cup fresh blueberries

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 tsp. baking powder

1 1/3 cup milk

2 cups flour, sifted

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons shortening

Wash fresh blueberries and let dry thoroughly on paper toweling. Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Work shortening into dry ingredients until fully absorbed. Add milk and beat until smooth. Fold in blueberries. Drop batter by spoonfuls into very well greased cupcake tins or onto cookie sheet. Bake 20 minutes in moderate oven 375. Serve warm. Makes 12 large biscuits.

Brown Sugar Biscuits (Recipe from 1974)

2 cups sifted flour

1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed

3 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1/3 cup soft shortening

2/3 to 3/4 cup milk

In a large bowl, sift flour with sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Pour in 2/3 cup milk all at once and stir quickly with a fork, until mixture forms into a ball. Roll out to 3/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. With a floured biscuit cutter, cut straight down, being careful not to twist the dough. Place the biscuits on a lightly greased cookie sheet; bake 10 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire rack, cool slightly and serve warm.

http://oldrecipebook.com/biscuitrecipes.shtml

always filling and good is biscuits and gravey

How to Make Biscuits

and Gravy Recipes

You are here:

Old Recipe Book >> Bakery >> Biscuits

Also see the recipes for Bisquick Biscuits

Easy Baking Powder Biscuits (Recipe 1974)

Biscuits made with oil

2 cups flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup salad oil

2/3 cups milk

Preheat oven to 450 F. Sift dry ingredients into a medium bowl. Pour salad oil, then milk into a 1 cup measure; do not mix. Pour all at once into the flour mixture. With a fork, stir to make a soft dough. Turn out dough onto a sheet of waxed paper. (Place wax paper on a damp surface to keep it from slipping.) Knead about 10 times, to make a smooth dough. Roll out dough, 1/2 inch thick, between 2 sheets of wax paper. Remove the top sheet. Cut with unfloured 2 inch biscuit cutter. Place 1 inch apart, on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

My Notes: When I made these, they were pretty easy to make. I did not bother with the waxed paper. I found the dough easy to roll out on my clean counter. It did not stick, even to the drinking glass I used as a biscuit cutter. View the picture to see how mine turned out. They are not a light flakey biscuit, but they were okay. Makes about 6

How to Make Milk Gravy:

1. For each cup of gravy you need 2 tablespoons of fat, whether bacon grease, sausage grease or butter. So measure 2 tablespoons of fat back into the skillet.

2. Add flour: Measure 2 Tablespoons of flour for each cup of gravy. Cook the gravy in the grease till frothy over medium heat.

3. The liquid you add should be lukewarm. Add 1 cup of liquid slowly, and stirring constantly. Cook till thick, turn to low and simmer without stirring 5 minutes.

Gravy Tip: I read that if you add a little salt to the flour before adding to the grease, the gravy has a less tendency to become lumpy. I usually stir the gravy with a pancake turner. It smashes any lumps that try to form. Last resort - Pour it all into a blender and blend.

Gravy Made with Cornstarch

Pour off all but 2 Tbsp. fat drippings from roasting pan. Add 1 3/4 cups broth or water. Cook over medium heat, stirring to loosten browned bits. Remove from heat. Mix 2 tbsp cornstarch and 1.4 cup cold water until smooth. Stir into pan. Season to taste. Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium heat; boil 1 minute. Makes 2 cups.

Microwave Gravy

In 1 1/2 quart microvaveable bowl stir 2 Tbsp. cornstarch and 2 cups cold broth or water until smooth. Season to taste. Microwave on high (100%), stirring twice. 7-9 minutes or until mixture boils; boil 1 minute. Remove from microwave. Stir in 2 Tbsp. fat drippings. Makes 2 cups.

Biscuits

2 cups flour

1 tsp. salt

1/4 cup milk

4 tsp. baking powder

4 Tbsp. shortening

Mix as usual. Roll out and cut with a biscuit cutter. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.

My Notes: I made these biscuits, but 1/4 cup milk was not enough, (see recipe below says 3/4 cup). I put them in a 450 oven, but it still seemed like it took longer, and they still were not browning on top, and they were not done in the middle. \:\( Next time I am going to try these baking powder biscuits and you might want to try them too.

Basic Baking Powder Biscuits (Recipe from 1953)

2 cups flour

4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons shortening

3/4 cup milk

Sift flour, salt and baking powder together. Rub shortening in with fingertips. Add milk slowly and mix to a soft dough. Roll out on a slightly floured board to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter. Bake in quick oven 400 F 10 to 15 minutes Yield 12 biscuits.

Quick and Easy Biscuits

1 cup self rising flour

2/3 cup milk

dash of salt

2 Tbsp mayonnaise

Mix well and bake in well greased muffin tins at 400 degrees until brown.

Baking Powder Biscuit I (Fanny Farmer 1893)

2 cups bread flour

1 tablespoon lard

1 cup milk and water in equal parts

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon butter

Baking Powder Biscuit II (Fanny Farmer 1893)

2 cups bread flour

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

Emergency Biscuit (Fanny Farmer Recipe 1893)

Use recipe for Baking Powder Biscuit I or II, with the addition of more milk, that mixture may be dropped from spoon without spreading. Drop by spoonfuls on a buttered pan, one-half inch apart. Brush over with milk, and bake in hot oven eight minutes.

Sausage Biscuits (Recipe from 1953)

2 cups flour

3/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons shortening

3/4 cup milk

8 sausages

Cut shortening into mixed and sifted dry ingredients. Add milk gradually stirring with a knife. Toss onto a floured pastry cloth and cut in 3 inch round biscuits. Place a pan fried sausage in the center of each biscuit and roll up. Place on oiled pastry sheet and bake in 450 F oven 15 minutes. Yield 8 biscuits.

Blueberry Drop Biscuits (Recipe from 1963)

1 cup fresh blueberries

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 tsp. baking powder

1 1/3 cup milk

2 cups flour, sifted

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons shortening

Wash fresh blueberries and let dry thoroughly on paper toweling. Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Work shortening into dry ingredients until fully absorbed. Add milk and beat until smooth. Fold in blueberries. Drop batter by spoonfuls into very well greased cupcake tins or onto cookie sheet. Bake 20 minutes in moderate oven 375. Serve warm. Makes 12 large biscuits.

Brown Sugar Biscuits (Recipe from 1974)

2 cups sifted flour

1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed

3 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1/3 cup soft shortening

2/3 to 3/4 cup milk

In a large bowl, sift flour with sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Pour in 2/3 cup milk all at once and stir quickly with a fork, until mixture forms into a ball. Roll out to 3/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. With a floured biscuit cutter, cut straight down, being careful not to twist the dough. Place the biscuits on a lightly greased cookie sheet; bake 10 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire rack, cool slightly and serve warm.

http://oldrecipebook.com/biscuitrecipes.shtml

Originally Posted By: Amishway Homesteaders
Yes, Michael, that's the one. It's wonderful!

SO
even if it is snowing like all get-up I should STILL make Lori go to work so she can bring home that great book ? ;)
LOL

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Seeing as how I like her too..... :tapfoot::shrug:

I just checked out a book from the library. "The Civil War Cookbook." It is fabulous so far. It's on my wish list now.

YES! Lori got the book from the Library and we are fighting over it!
the pictures are great!
the recipes are the best !
and the background information is wonderful!

A must read! and I bet all the men in your life would like to see it too.
Made the bean soup (pg.18) today and on sunday cooking more from the book!

need I say it? but you know -
THANKS for leting us know about this great book! :)

I had it in my hands at the library...then when I went to check it out, it wouldn't scan. They said since it's not in the system, it had to go back to their cataloguing department.

*sniffles*

Here are a few links on Civil War Cooking. if anyone wants to look...

http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/cookbook.htm

http://xmucane.tripod.com/bean_pie.htm

Confederate Receipt Book - http://docsouth.unc.edu/imls/receipt/receipt.html

See if you can have it held from online. If not, definitely keep checking! It is such a wonderful resourse, not only for the simple staples recipes, but for the history & images contained within the pages

There's another copy at one of the other branches, so I've requested that they bring it over for me. They're also going to bring over a make-a-mix book. :cele:

:hapydancsmil: