MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can you make jelly from bottled juice?

Is this a good recipe?

Pomegranate Jelly

4 cups pomegranate juice

7 1/2 cups white sugar

2 lemons, juiced

1 (6 fluid ounce) container liquid pectin

Directions 1.Combine pomegranate and lemon juice with sugar in a large, stainless steel saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, and at once stir in liquid pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil, and boil exactly 1/2 minute. Remove from heat, and skim off foam. 2.Ladle into hot, sterilized jars to within about 1/4 inch of the top. Seal, and process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

Just recently made a batch of cherry "jam" (if that's what one wants to call it). And I used pretty much that type of recipe except I also added some Arrow Root because I wanted my really-really thick. Almost a "jello" consistency....LOL

That looks like the recipe I use.

I boil and strain my pomegranates to get the required amount of liquid, too many seeds... wait.... they are all seeds. :blink:

If you can use bottled juice...

Waiting for Violet...

Here is what I have for bottled jelly:

Grape Jelly 7 Half-Pints

1 Quart Canned Grape Juice (100 % Juice)

1 Package Powered Fruit Pectin

5 ½ C. Sugar

Mix juice and pectin in saucepan. Bring to boil. Stir in sugar and return to boil. Boil 2 min. Remove from heat and skim. Pour into half-pint jars. Leave ¼ inch head space. Clean rim. Cap. Water bath 10 min.

Apple Jelly 7 Half-Pints

1 Qt. Canned Apple Juice (100% Juice) 1 Package Powered Fruit Pectin

5 Drops Red Food Coloring (optional) 5 ½ C. Sugar

Mix juice, color and pectin in saucepan. Bring to boil. Stir in sugar and return to boil. Boil 2 min. Remove from heat and skim. Pour into half-pint jars. Leave ¼ inch head space. Clean rim. Cap. Water bath 10 min.

Cinnamon Apple Jelly 7 Half-Pints

1 Qt. Canned Apple Juice 5 ½ C. Sugar

1 Package Powdered Fruit Pectin ⅓C. Red Cinnamon Candies (red hots)

Mix juice and pectin in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add sugar and candy. Stir until well dissolved. Return to a boil for 2 min. Remove from heat. Stir and skim off foam. Pour into half-pint jars. Leave ¼ inch head space. Clean rim. Cap. Water bath 10 min.

AND:

Strawberry Jam From Frozen Berries 9 ½ Cups

6 – 10 oz. Packages Of Frozen Strawberries

4 Tab. Water

1 Box Sure-jell

6 C. Sugar

Thaw fruit. Crush. Add water. Bring fruit, water and Sure-jell to a boil. Add sugar. Boil hard for 1 min. Stir constantly! Remove from heat. Stir and skim off foam. Pour into half-pint jars. Leave ¼ inch head space. Clean rim. Cap. Water bath 10 min.

I have no idea why these won't line up on the left side of the screen. Probably has something to do when I copy/pasted from my recipe file. :scratchhead:

Yes, bottled juice is fine. You can even make soda pop jelly ! Root beer, Mt. Dew, Dr. Pepper, all kinds.

You just have to use commercial pectin with the juice to get a gel. You can use frozen juice and mix it up, too, and use it.

Have fun !

Cranberry jalapeno is good.

Cranberry jalapeno sounds really good. Have a recipe for that? And...question....does anyone have a tip to get the pectin mixed in without clumping? Or is it not possible?

Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping! Love that sound. Now I know it's probably better to use fresh fruit but this was so easy...and I can get fresh juice from the farmers market.

IMG_20130715_125322.jpg

Dogmom, what kind of pectin are you using ? The liquid ? Usually you boil jelly for 1 min, not 1/2 min. Maybe it is not dissolving if you are only boiling 30 seconds.

The vinegar is needed due to the low acid peppers. This is really good.

Cranberry Pepper Jelly (makes 5 half pints)

1 1/2 cups cranberry juice cocktail
1 cup vinegar 5% acidity
2-4 jalapeno peppers halved and seeded
5 cups sugar
1- 3 ounce package liquid fruit pectin

Combine juice, vinegar and prepared jalapenos. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and let simmer 10 minutes. Strain the juice. You should have 2 cups liquid. Discard solids. In 4 quart pan, combine liquid and sugar. Bring to full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin . Return to full boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour into clean hot jars. Place one dried red pepper in each jar, if desired. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.

The first jelly I ever made was Hawaiian Punch jelly! I used a recipe that called for frozen, concentrated grape juice, and substituted the frozen HP. It was a big hit with my family.

A few years ago I thought that I would try it again, but sadly HP no longer comes in frozen concentrate. Just as well. It was REALLY sweet. But awesome on a toasted and buttered English muffin.

I thought we weren't supposed to use fresh lemons in canning, because they would have varying amounts of acidity and bottled lemon juice had a standard/consistent amount of acidity.

I would surely like to use one of the fresh lemons growing in my sunroom, but guess they would be even better in a lemon meringue pie.

Dogmom, you substituted dry powder pectin for liquid ? You cannot do that and have it turn out. Dry pectin is added first to dissolve it and get a gel. Then add the sugar. In liquid, it is opposite, you add the sugar first, then the pectin. They are not interchangeable in recipes. If this is what you did, then it won't dissolve.

It depends upon what you are canning if you can use fresh lemon juice . If it is recipe that needs lemon juice for safety, then it must be bottled. If it is just a flavor ingredient, then sometimes fresh lemons are used.

If it is added to something already high enough in natural acid, then sometimes fresh is fine. The other high acid ingredients will be enough in a jelly recipe to use fresh if it is a full sugar jelly/jam. Sugar in a full sugar recipe, where you have at least 50% sugar, then it will be a preservative. Low sugar jams and jellies don't have that preserving agent to keep them safe. It is all science based. Sugar binds up water, just like high salt concentrations. Called "water activity". Water in a product will allow molds and other kinds of spoilage to still grow. This is how we can dehydrate foods and keep them from spoiling, it removes enough water so the bacteria won't grow.

We use this :

FAT TOM, it is a way to remember things that affect food safety in storing foods.

These are some of the factors

Food

Acid

Time

Temperature

Oxygen

Moisture

Take the first letters to spell FAT TOM

I did mix the juice and the dry pectin and then added the sugar. I took a class last year where they talked about doing that with fruit. It did set (gel). I tried one jar and it tastes really good and is just like like jelly. So are they safe for me to have out on a shelf?

• 7 months later...

rootdiggr, you can make jelly from koolade, and they have a punch flavor...so all is not lost!

JELLY

2 package Kool-Aid, any flavor (no sugar added)

1 package Sure-Jell

4 ½ cups granulated sugar

3 ½ cups water

Mix water, Sure-Jell and Kool-Aid together. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Stir and bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Quickly skim off foam with a large metal spoon. Pour into jelly glasses and seal. You can freeze or boiling water bath for 5 min.

You should be able to concoct some rip-snorting flavors by mixing & matching flavors!

I cook the juice from my home canned blueberries till it is reduced enough to jell. I can the berries in light syrup, about 1 cup of sugar to a qt of water so I usually add a little more sugar to taste. I don't like it too sweet and I like a strong flavor. I don't use pectin or lemon. I pour it into sterile hot jars while the jelly is hot.