MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Picked this up off of youtube. I've got my old "bean pot" with it's lid ready for service! Gonna go pick us up some firebricks (worth the money) instead of using just any bricks. Wanted to share this for all of us who are interested in supplementing our home heating. Putting some sort of reflector panel behind it (like you would for a wood stove?) would probably increase the radiant temperature? I think I'd also set it on a fire resistant type tile would be safer, (I have a ceramic-type 2x2 that I keep in our RV that I set hot stuff on) and as always...stay close & have your baking soda handy for any emergencies. It's obvious that you'd never leave it unattended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc7xm9CBzJ0

Edited by Philbe
  • 5 months later...

:lol: Yeah, really! :knary:

Dunno about cast iron but..... here's a vid about clay pot refrigeration [aka: zeer pot] Only works well in a stiff breeze and arid climate. Using water-absorbing polymer crystals [available at gardening stores or see site below] would work even better than sand.

http://www.crystals.us/CICrystalIce.htm

As for the cast iron "heat sink".....I always put a few selected rocks on top of our pellet stove Once that came in handy when power went out and I had baby ducks under a now-not-functioning heat lamp. Had to keep them very warm for several hours on a chilly spring day. The rocks helped inside an old cooler [lid open for air, of course]. I was about to start up the charcoal grill OUTSIDE, to warm up the ducklings' rocks again. But the power came back on.

I was impressed at the power of the tea lite candles tho.... It would have been easier to heat my cast iron or rocks INSIDE with them. [also now have a Buddy Heater]

MtRider ....3 forms of heat...all electric dependent.... <_<

Edited by Mt_Rider
fixin'