MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

They have no idea what it is?

Are there things you 'still use' that people would have no idea what you are talking about?

Just the other day I was talking about my "tomato pin cushion" and maybe needing a new one but haven't seen them at any rummage sales or yard sales lately? I would NEVER think of buying a 'new' one because when you get a used one second hand you ALWAYS get a bunch of free needles with it!

Anyway I was talking and the people I was with had no idea what one was or WHY I would need one? Who sews anymore was the reply when I told them what it was.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

:sEm_blush: When our youngest was three years old, I pulled out my ironing board and iron to iron something. She wondered what THAT was! :whistling:

To be fair, I had ironed in the basement by my washer a few times. But it never crossed my mind that I just don't iron much anymore unless I'm sewing. Big DD didn't even get an iron for a wedding gift.

How many people who do sew also know why they should pass pins and needles through the "strawberry" attached to the tomato?

yaya.gif I know why.

;)

How about the old ice trays, where the divider had the lever you pull up to separate the icecubes? Anyone still have those?

They certainly lasted and were more stable than the plastic ones!

Have them and Lori Still uses them!

The cat will come a running when she hears that 'crack' because she knows there are always little chips that mom will give her to eat.

Yes that is also the cat that we have to go outside in the winter and get her bowl full of snow so she can eat it. And if it starts to snow in the middle of the night , she will come to bed, wakes me up and then race downstairs to sit by the 'snow bowl'.

:AmishMichael2:

Arby, those old trays were so much easier to get the cubes out of!

I have 3 sewing machines and one is an old treadle. I have a spinning wheel and a loom. A cabinet incubator for hatching eggs that doubles as a dehydrator. A Swing-a-way can opener mounted on the wall in the kitchen. Various oil and kerosene lamps. I use a shovel, hoe and rake to garden, no tiller, but how many garden any more? A manual pasta machine for noodles. Various grain grinders, but who grinds wheat and makes bread? I even have about a ton of wheat! (Maybe a bit more! LOL) Cast iron skillets, several pressure canners, a 10 gallon pot for making cheese or huge quantities of stew to can. People don't even cook, much less can, freeze or dehydrate to have stuff for later.

Yes, some folks think I have 2 heads. You can see it in their eyes.

AH, my parents had a cat who was a tough mountain cat and loved to play in the melt water when it snowed, trying to get the pretty stones in their driveway gravel, dipping his paws right in for those pretty rocks. I can just see your cat wanting a snow bowl.... :D

His name was Joe Catwright of the Konderosa.

Edited by arby

Stop! No one ever showed me what the strawberry was for, and I took sewing classes. The tomato my mom had is floating between one of three houses, I just don't know which one.

I have a pasta maker and registered for an iron but didn't receive one. I made a comment that I picked my pattern board and a clothes line and received strange looks.

(Edited by Cat because Jori was trying to type with a sick little guy on her lap, and it came out ummmm... *interesting*. :happy0203: )

Edited by Cat
trying to help clarify

I had the tomato pincushion when I was a teen and I remember metal ice cube trays. Wish I had the metal ones still... The one thing I can't figure out.....

Why oh why does CGA have two heads???

This is a YOU GOT ME post. I have sewn (sewed?) for years, using the tomato pin cushion and had NO idea the little strawberry was for anything except to be in the way. I wasn't smart enough to even question that it might be for something. Wow, this is cool. Is it to sharpen pins and needles?

Edited by winknasmile
spelling

Is it to sharpen pins and needles?

:bouquet:

Pins and needles can get tiny little burrs from normal use. The sand in the strawberry knocks them off, thus "sharpening" them.

:bighug2:

Some strawberries have emery in them. They're also good for polishing off that line of rust the pins can pick up.

I still remember my little cousin standing in the living room holding the strawberry and whirling the tomato over his head, and the thread broke, and the tomato whizzed right past my grandpa's nose. He looked around and kept drinking his tea.

I still remember my little cousin standing in the living room holding the strawberry and whirling the tomato over his head, and the thread broke, and the tomato whizzed right past my grandpa's nose. He looked around and kept drinking his tea.

:o

:24: :24: :24:

Arby, those old trays were so much easier to get the cubes out of!

I have 3 sewing machines and one is an old treadle. I have a spinning wheel and a loom. A cabinet incubator for hatching eggs that doubles as a dehydrator. A Swing-a-way can opener mounted on the wall in the kitchen. Various oil and kerosene lamps. I use a shovel, hoe and rake to garden, no tiller, but how many garden any more? A manual pasta machine for noodles. Various grain grinders, but who grinds wheat and makes bread? I even have about a ton of wheat! (Maybe a bit more! LOL) Cast iron skillets, several pressure canners, a 10 gallon pot for making cheese or huge quantities of stew to can. People don't even cook, much less can, freeze or dehydrate to have stuff for later.

Yes, some folks think I have 2 heads. You can see it in their eyes.

Have you been looking in our Kitchen?

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

LOVE our swing-a-way! And like most of the 'old things' we use we have one or more in storage as backup because they are getting harder and harder to find!

And yes we too get looks whenever we talk about making things like noodles at home "BY HAND" using a hand cranked machine of some kind. Like when I happen to tell someone that I made bread yesterday with my bread machine, I always get “Oh I saw that machine on TV once and I have to tell them no my is NOT electric but a hand cranked 'VERY OLD' bread machine. Which will most always get the reply . . . . . . WHY?

OK, for all who have some kind of pin custion whenever you deside to throw one out?

always cut them open on a piece of newspaper and inside you will find a bunch of needles and sometimes even pins that have worked they way inside the thing. We always buy old ones (if they are cheap) just to have the fun of counting how many where in it.

I think that most of the strawberries get separated from the tomato because they are attached by that flimsy thread. I did have one in my sewing box as a kid, but it is probably still in my parents' house. As a Girl Scout, we also made pincushions out of a canning ring and scrap velvet. I think we just stuffed them with poly fill and covered the bottom with a piece of cardboard that was glued into place. I'll bet that my mom still has that one, too!

This sure made memories come back. 25 years ago, we went to a lumber yard and my 6 yr. old son and said for me, rather loudly, to come look at some thing he had never seen, know what it was or didn't know how to turn it on. There was a machine that had bottled cokes going up and down the side with a door on it. It would not do anything. The men there got a good laugh but he at least got a free coke. Then they took him over to the 'puzzle' coke box (where you had to pull it thru the maze.)--another free coke. When he goes back in a few weeks he wants to go show his little one.

At high school where I was a secretary, we had an old fashioned black phone and an avocado phone later which was described as pukey. More than once, the kids didn't know what it was or how to use it and why there were no buttons on under the numbers. When they got hold of a parent , they told them all about it. I heard alot of cool and neato.

How about kids being amazed about not having remotes for tvs.

PS--I knew the strawberry was for sharpening needles, but I didn't know what was in it.:laughkick:

• 2 weeks later...

My mom still has my grandmother's tomato but it doesn't have a strawberry on it. I bought myself a new pink tomato for pins when I got a sewing machine for Christmas and it has a strawberry, now I need to take some sewing lessons! I can't even thread the needle, I haven't sewed in 34years since in high school!

Fortunately, my 16 yr old and my 13 yr old sons will use the iron and ironing board when they want to impress a girl! :)

I miss the old metal ice trays, so much more sturdy than these silly plastic ones.

I miss the pasta machine my mom had too, I think she may have given me parts of an old one, but not sure if DH didn't toss it since there were parts missing :(