MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

That garage is truly a thing of beauty! Sigh, a thing of beauty.

I'm prepping for when I can't get out or I become sick and need to live off of what I have here right now or when my money runs out. An earth shattering event is always in the back of my mind but in the front of my mind is, even if nothing earth shattering happens in the world, it could still happen in MY world. I guess getting older and living alone changes your idea of what a disaster can be.

WE2, you are so very fortunate to have a strong, handy and willing partner who loves you so much. :wub:

I'm sure he looks good and smells good too!

Yep...he's my full deck! Good looking, strong, loving, full of fun, adventurous, smells really good even on work days :-) and above all? He's a godly man who believes in putting stuck stuff back for emergencies :-)

As a ps...that's the big reason I convinced him to change locations and start on the homestead house. He spent nearly all of his life's savings to build that big man-cave garage and to build the other 12x20 metal storage building. He's earned the right to enjoy it. He's got soooo many of his carpentry armoury (yes, it's an armoury!) that he's collected over his years as a builder/carpenter and I wanted him to be able to keep them, use them, barter his skills as a builder etc. Some men drink, some smoke, some run around, some are mean to the bone, and some spend money like a drunk sailer on nonsense...My MrWE2? Nope...his like his tools and books, so he can buy about as many as we think we can afford :-)

Edited by The WE2's

14 quarts of tomato juice. Westbrook taught me to save old rings by removing them from canning jars with a nickle. I wedge it between the threads. The lid pops off w/o leaving any marks on the lid. I only use them for water-bath and short times in the pressure canner. No reuse from meat canning, though. So far, no failures when using them for a second time. Saves me LOTS of money due to all the canning I do. :hapydancsmil:

Finished up the last of the apples we bought at the Mennonite store, in some very tasty and beautiful apple butter. So, total canning was 5 quarts of apple sauce, 12 half pints of spiced apple chunks and 10 half pints of apple butter. I'm starting my "Christmas Gift Canning" now. Our friends etc., really look forward to getting our home canned foods for their Christmas gifts. It saves us tons of money because we can enough for ourselves too! Picked up two cases of sausage chubs and they're in the cooler. I'll drag them out tomorrow to thaw and then can them. We did some last year so we rotate some of them out. Then comes hamburger. Then more bacon. We'll empty our freezer pretty much by then :-)

post-9087-0-57436400-1441763908_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-55365400-1441763921_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-51972000-1441764024_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

Ten pounds of ground beef (27% fat content ) = (only) 9 PINT jars. :blush::tapfoot:

:canning:

I did it slightly differently this time. I cooked the meat in the oven in my turkey roaster instead of standing over a pot and continuously stirring it. I also added some water, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce to make a broth for canning it. Jarred it up and had the remnants for dinner. THAT's when I discovered it was too salty! :banghead: Must remember that when I use it in recipes. :frying pan:

Edited by Midnightmom

I also use my turkey roaster in my oven. MrWE2 just pulls it out every 10 minutes +/- and chops it up and when it's nice and brown, we go for it! Oh...yes I imagine your recipe would be salty...soy sauce is very salty to begin with (perhaps Worc. too?) and of course, all spices etc., intensify when canned. We did get 2 1/2 pints of sausage drippings that I canned also. Will make some really nice gravy :-)

I also use my turkey roaster in my oven. MrWE2 just pulls it out every 10 minutes +/- and chops it up and when it's nice and brown, we go for it! Oh...yes I imagine your recipe would be salty...soy sauce is very salty to begin with (perhaps Worc. too?) and of course, all spices etc., intensify when canned. We did get 2 1/2 pints of sausage drippings that I canned also. Will make some really nice gravy :-)

PTL...won't be sweating it out no mo! Found the roaster I've been pining for at Orscheln's today so we decided to go ahead and get it. It's an 18 qt. (?) so it will hold a lot of foods that I want to par-cook or cook completely when we're canning.

Lovely! That's the first time I've ever seen those. :blush:

Nasty spines, teeny tiny prickly... oowwwys! Took me a week to get all of the spines out of my fingers. LOL

Saguaro fruit is similar. I did not do saguaro fruit this year because many of the trees did not fruit, and the ones that did, were 2 stories high.

Thirteen half pints of chicken, 6 pints of bone in chicken breast/backs, four quarts of stew vegetables, and seven half pints of corn cob jelly. The corn cob jelly is an "experiment" of mine. I'll keep my mouth shut for the time being :-) I did figure out (I think) one of the reasons I was having so much trouble with the jellies etc., was I was leaving the lid on the pot when it was cooking and/or boiling...creating condensation that was dropping back down into my product. I've also learned that "sometimes" it takes several days for a jelly to set up :-) Glad I didn't throw out the white concord grape jelly (I made it from juice) :-)

PS...this pretty much finished my "Christmas" gift goodies :-) Love having all my Christmas shopping done by October!

Edited by The WE2's

Our daughter just got married and used key limes in the centerpieces for the dinner tables. She had four pounds of key limes left over. One of her bridesmaids had lived in Turkey and suggested I make lime marmalade the way she learned to make it in Turkey. The limes are gently boiled in water four times. Dump the water after each boiling. This removes the bitterness. Cool the limes until easy to handle. Slice and remove seeds. (I removed the seeds and ran what was left through the food processor) For each cup of limes add 1 cup of sugar. Heat gently until sugar is dissolved then boil rapidly for about 15-20 minutes. Limes have plenty of pectin so none needs to be added. The mixture will start to jell - I used a cold spoon and the mixture will slide off the spoon like jelly. At that point remove from the heat, let stand 5 minutes or so. Jar it up and process. I processed for 10 minutes in a hot water bath. This made 12 half-pint jars. Delicious!

It's 10:30 pm or so...and the last of th chicken is in the canner :-) We had 20# of leg/thigh quarters left and I wanted to make chicken noodle soup out of most of it. Got ten quarts of the soup and there's five pints of just the chicken. I put all the chicken in my turkey roaster this morning and by the time I started to can, it just fell off the bone :-) The soup has celery, carrots, onions, chicken and 1/3 cup of those teesnsy-tiny noodes (have only been able to find the at Mennonite stores) and of course...vegetable broth and some of the chicken broth. Sampled...it's delicious :-) The pints will just be "pulled chicken" because we shredded it with our fingers to make sure there weren't any bones, grissle or fat/skin hiding in it :-) It will make delicious bbq I do believe. I still have 5 heads of celery, 4 packages of carrots and more onions so I'll can up some more quarts of stew vegetables. Right now they're in the 5-day cooler with ice packs and can just wait a day or two until I feel like canning again. Did today's all by myself and I'm tuckered out for sure!

Took a day off from canning :-) So, today I finished up the carrots, celery & most of the onions. Just made some veggie soup. Took a quart to some friends (along with some noodles to put in it, some crackers and a small container of my homemade pudding...lemon flavored) who just returned from a six week RV vacation.

Today I am processing more crab apples. Brother wants some of those 'pickled apples like Grandma used to make' (the cinnamon ones). Not really a pickle, more like canned apples, with stems & cores intact. Any extra syrup will go into some red-hot apple rings. Then more crabapple jelly - the neighbor picked a big box of little crab apples, they have a lovely red color, should make gorgeous jelly. Wish I could eat it, but I have to limit my jelly-eating (or anything that tastes good.... :sad-smiley-012: )

I enjoy the making, though.