MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Botulism from food - recent case

For some reason I could only get the link to paste in the topic title box!

(Edited by Cat even though dogmom4 pasted it, so that I can re-title it for info.)

http://www.wmctv.com/story/25387440/a-look-ahead-mid-south-man-fights-to-survive-after-one-bad-bite?

Edited by Cat
clarity

Two years and still dealing with it.

They do NOT suspect it was home-canned food, at least in this article. Maybe he was the only one to eat the beets?

The rare illness is caused by eating food containing the toxic bacteria botulinum. Moving your body and the simple acts of swallowing, blinking, and breathing becomes impossible. Jay was on a ventilator for 11 months. Adult cases of botulism are so rare, the Department of Homeland Security launched an investigation into the source of Jay's infection.

"It may have been a can of beets we had," said Amanda.

The Centers for Disease Control warns foodborne botulism can come from home-canned foods with low acid content, such as asparagus, green beans, beets, and corn is caused by failure to follow proper canning methods. Cases have also been linked to store-bought canned goods that were improperly handled by manufacturers, retailers, or consumers. Examples include chopped garlic oil, canned cheese sauce, chili peppers, tomatoes, carrot juice and baked potatoes wrapped in foil.

"You get to the point where it really doesn't matter where it came from because it's not going to change anything," Amanda explained.

THIS is why we stress safety first in canning and other food processing. Sanitation - CAREFUL sanitation - is a MUST!

If you don't know what you're doing, ask and we'll help direct and guide you to good info. (I've even called somebody while they were canning when she asked me to.)

:hug3: