MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Ugh. Not another rat...shudder. At least he was D E A D. I'm not sure if you can make a garage rodent proof. :shrug:

I don't know how your garage is made but my garage is sealed at the top and bottom pretty well but there is 'daylight' on both sides of the door. Not much but as you said, any crack and they will find a way in even if they have to gnaw it bigger to fit through. I found evidence of a mouse in my garage last spring. It chewed through aluminum foil to get into a crack that was in the garage wall/to the house foundation. It was a big crack between cement blocks stuffed with foil but still...

Pray this was a hobo rat moving through and not a family man. :pray:

MtR...there's a commercial product that builders/carpenters use to seal cracked concrete, both in garage floors, foundations and basement walls. I think it comes in a tube. Might try some of it across the garage door entry-way? Might keep water and rodents out?

I have "that smell" going on right now. Trying to look on the bright side. That smell means we are headed for Fall! It's been pretty hot around here for awhile. Of course, I would rather associate cinnamon sticks and pumpkins with Fall, but we take what we get!

VA denied DH's claim for back pay, so now we appeal and send in more paperwork I guess. Plans on hold again! God will get us there when it's time!

After being at dmil's for a week I'm realizing how much she's slowed down at 86. :sigh:

Awww, Lady. :pray:

I've been noticing the same with my MIL. :sigh:

Raked up pine needles and did some weeding. I'm hoping to finish a pastel painting I've been working on, God willing. It is frustrating me that it has taken this long to get it done.

Hoping DH can 'trim toes' today. Need to ride but hooves are long....can't risk cracking. He's been running to and fro with extra stuff lately.

MtRider :pc_coffee: ,,,sure glad I can see the keys cuz I seem to hit more wrong keys than correct lately :gaah:

Annarchy I thought I was the only one that used my bra for storage...lol..not that there isn't much room left in mine.

Dogmom my dh is starting to show his age some. He is 79 and doing pretty darn well considering, but there are signs of aging. Sometimes when I look at him I want to cry but I refuse to. I try to enjoy every minute I have left with him. He is also losing weight. He calls it the old age shrink.

I was completely chair bound all day Monday and half of today. I suspect it is a bad attack of gout so I used some of DH's leftover drugs and it is getting slowly better. An advantage of his age is that I have a mini drug store of prescription drugs. He had some predisone which is a steroid and it helped the swelling go down. I used a few homemade things for the uric acid like cherry juice and vinegar. I think I may be able to walk some by tomorrow morn. Not only was I unable to physically get to the doctors, but even if I did I couldn't afford it. The deductibles and prescriptions are too high under Obamacare.

I wish I was artistic. I can barely draw stick figures!

I like that picture, Ann!!! Relevant, too!!!

Today, I planted flowers on Lucy's grave, cleaned the back sliding glass door, listed 8 items on Ebay, did one load of laundry, called an old friend and I think that's all for the day! Except normal dog stuff, of course.

Just hung out with Abby-girl mostly. Did mix up a couple of quarts of yogurt. Me making yogurt is still an "iffy" thing. Never know for sure if it will turn out right. This batch I made in quart jars instead of our thermos' ...wrote the recipe down so if it doesn't work I'll know not to use it again :-)

Hope it sets up for you, WE2. If it doesn't, turn it into a dressing for fruit salad.

DH trimmed horse toes before work today. Was a nice cool, breezy day. One of the best we've had all summer. He was still dripping and TIRED but it went well. He's doing very good on the angles now. SO glad these horses have hard hooves and don't need shoes! :amen:

So I went down early to ride...just around and around pasture for almost half hour....with other horse thundering around behind us. Then did chores....ducks in and fed....walk dog. Wasn't threatened by any green (rain) blobs today, tho it looked like it might come in. Must have slid south of us.

THEN I came in and made a beef stew with lotsa veggies. Some stuff was on sale so also make a raw salad of broc and caulif pieces. A bit of red pepper too. Dressing: Pour a little milk into two creamy-type salad dressings that were nearly used up. Add mayo to thicken. Add a shake or two of basil. A few shakes of Parmesan cheese[ in the container]. Mix with cold veggies and :feedme:

Good! I hate having almost-empty containers using up fridge space!

MtRider.... aaaaah...now I'm TIRED! :cook: DH will be surprised cuz I haven't had ANY energy since visiting my folks 2 days in a row. :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider

DH needs to learn to trim our pony. He doesn't need shoes either but he does occasionally need a pedicure!

I got up way too early and have nearly worn myself out trying to catch up from being down earlier this week. I think I earned an late morning snooze after I fix Dh a nice breakfast.

I've always wondered why the former homeowner had a large plywood cover around the ceiling light.

Curiosity killed the cat. And satisfaction cost me a lot of time to find out that burning question. The guy cut too many holes in the ceiling, looking for the electrical wiring. All fixed and ready to mud today. post-35-0-31431200-1470919601_thumb.jpg :0327:

Thank you all for your kind comments. It's what I do. The customer will be here today to pick it up.

LOL, Momo. I didn't think anyone else did that either with their phone. The new case is working well, so, until I get a new lens for it, I won't be stuffing it in there. Hope you and your DH feel better. Yes, I believe you deserve a nap.

I am being mesmerized by the rain, everything smells so nice, hardly any AC's running ... rain! Glorious RAIN! PTL!!!

Guess what? It's raining. LOL

Wow, Homesteader, sounds like you are getting close to being done. (?)

Glad you got to ride Mt_Rider. Sounds wonderful. I was banned for life from riding when I broke my back. Dr said it was too risky for me, so I admire them instead.

Miki, :hug3:

Yesterday, I helped a friend do paperwork to get his business started. Sheesh, so many hoops to jump through. It's OK, he should be getting his license in a couple of weeks, then the fun begins for him. :grinning-smiley-044:

Time to tidy the house a little before company gets here.

UP TO MY KNEES IN KITTIES!!! No kidding! Went over to the Homestead, pulled in the drive, got out of the van, unloaded Abby-girl and there they came mewing like crazy! Abby wanted to "make friends" but I was able to keep her collared and into the yard. Then I went back with "here kitty, here kitty" and here they came...all five of them! I picked each of them up, talked to them, pet them, put them down and up my pant leg they began to climb! They're so skinny and lots of fleas :-( I went into the pantry and got a zip open can of Aldi's canned dog food...lamb and rice...and went back out. I again called them and MommaCat jumped out at me but when she got a "whiff" she came towards me. I scooped a bit out onto the ground with my fingers and she ate it all...and came even closer. I scooped her some more and I had to draw back my hand because she was so hungry I felt her teeth on my finger. She ate that. I gave her one more little scoop and she ate it...and a couple of the kittens began to try to figure out what MommaCat was eating that smelled so good. What in the world are we to do with six cats :-( I need help on what to do about the fleas on all of them :-( Are cats allergic to DE or Sevin dust? If not, should I sprinkle some around where they're living? HELP!!! We have absolutely NO knowledge of cats :-(

Poor kitties. Glad you're feeding them. :unsure: And ....adopting their case. But who can see starvation in their own backyard and not take action. :shrug: Better to tame the kittens so they can be adopted. Put up a sign in the front yard: Free Kittens Soon [when properly weaned] If you feed momma, healthy, tame babies should be easier to find homes for.

MtRider ...having an old cat curled up between my arms while typing. Seems like the only place she wants to be anymore. :)

OK friends...MrWE2 and myself went back over so I could show him "the litter"...:-) No sign of them until I stepped towards their hideout and spoke "here kittie, here kittie" and they tip toed out but stared at MrWE2 like he was a monster (dressed in his white paint paints & shirt!). So he stepped back and leaned against the truck. So they finally came on out, mewing all the way. I pcked each of them up and then handed one to MrWE2. When I turned to go back into the house MommaCat darted out at MrWE2 and under the truck. When I came back out with the food she immediately came towards me. I put a spoonful into a plastic bowl and she began to eat...right at my feet, and let me stroke her back. She even started "bunting" my hand for more food and rubbing up against my leg so I'm pretty certain she was somebody's pet...at least at one time. She can't be very old. She's just not that big...as you'll see in the pics I posting. So...here's "The Litter". The one we call "Tucker" (because it's got tuxedo-like markings) came up beside her and began to eat off my plastic spoon. I fed her as much as I dared because I didn't want to make her sick. She did grab at the spoon though and got my hand. Not a bad bite but enough for me to know she'd got me. I know she didn't mean to, she's just so hungry. I tried to make sure every baby that wanted some got what they wanted. The one we're calling "Tigger" (it's grey striped) didn't seem to want to eat it. The one we're calling "Runt" because it's so tiny didn't eat but a lick or two. The one we're calling "Patches" is white with dark grey/black spots ate a little. The other one is "Smokey" because it's a really dark blackish grey with under-current stripes at pretty good too. When we went to the garage to get the Sevin pellets every one of them followed us...even MommaCat....then they followed us back to the "hide out". I kept them around me while MrWE2 sprinkled the pellets around their perimeters. Then I counted faces before MrWE2 started the truck, and made sure they scurried back into their hiding place before we backed out. We went to Aldi's and bought a case of the same dog food we had fed her chicken-rice (not lamb) so we'll have plenty. If she should decide to move them or ??? it is still the type of dog food we've been putting back for Abby-girl. Cheap, but canned and we can mix with oats, rice & veggies if we needed to. So...here's the litter...

post-9087-0-72663500-1470969219_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-52295700-1470969249_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-26708900-1470969420_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-79039800-1470969448_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's