MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST!?

Bell pepper/onion omelet, half an english muffin with laughing cow strawberry cream spread, glass of apple cider vinegar :-) Most of excess weight is off, but still need to go just a tiny bit to get back to my "reached" goal :-) Yes, I weight EVERY morning.

picked a handful of edible weeds out of the flower bed after church, took them in and steamed them. Then added them to m scrambled egg breakfast burrito for a florentine style breakfast burrito. and it was gooooood.....

" For other biscuits she would pat out a layer of batter on a floured dish towel and cut out biscuits with a jelly jar--the kind with a cartoon character on it. "

I remember those 'jelly glasses'! The last ones I found had the Flintstone on them. My mom had some from the 30s with flowers on them. They were cute, but cant find 'em anymore. Nor peanut butter jars with measurements on the sidwe in quarter cup increments for useing the jar as a measuring cup (or measuring out for peanut butter cookies). If folks REALLY wanted to re-cycle, they'd demand those things again....

Breakfast today was leftover baked beans and granola. Started making it again to eat instead of so many eggs....trying to make my doctor happier with my cholesterol readings.

Edited by kappydell
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hockey Puck Biscuits! Made some from white lily flour I brought up from Alabama, using the recipe on their bag. The only thing I could not do was heat up the oven to 500 degrees, because it does not go that high! It must have been a critical error, because I got very tasty hockey pucks that did not rise one bit. Maybe if I freeze the Crisco instead of refrigerating it....I'm still trying to overcome Hockey Puck Biscuits.

Edited by kappydell

Eggs, sausage and toast with some of our homemade apple butter. Used the last jar we had for ourselves, the rest is in the extended pantry :-( Oh well...I have a pint of white concord grape jelly I made and we'll work on that. The rest of it is also in the EP but I did keep a couple of jars here. Not sure yet on the corn cob jelly. I'll let it set a few days to see if it's going to be jelly or syrup or ???

Hockey puck biscuits? For real? Are you talking about those things the military used to carry?

Dont know about the military ones, but that is exactly what mine look like. I imagine if I let them sit out 24 hours they would harden up and could be practically indestructible, like hardtack! Ahhh, maybe I'll switch to making hard tack instead. At least that way I wouldn't be frustrated when it didn't rise!

What were the military ones like? My biscuits are dense, a little dry, but soft enough to eat without dental damage. They taste good, but I call them hockey pucks because they refuse to rise no matter what I try.

Edited by kappydell

Hockey puck biscuits? For real? Are you talking about those things the military used to carry?

Dont know about the military ones, but that is exactly what mine look like. I imagine if I let them sit out 24 hours they would harden up and could be practically indestructible, like hardtack! Ahhh, maybe I'll switch to making hard tack instead. At least that way I wouldn't be frustrated when it didn't rise!

What were the military ones like? My biscuits are dense, a little dry, but soft enough to eat without dental damage. They taste good, but I call them hockey pucks because they refuse to rise no matter what I try.

I think the hardtack was a combination of cracker/bread/biscuit and was dipped in their coffee to soften it. Poor people :-(

Kappy...what recipe(s) are you using? Mine usually turn out really good. I use about 3 cups of white flour, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp. of baking soda, a pinch of salt, 1 tsp. sugar and then about 1/4 cup of lard or butter. I mix it up until it forms little "beads" and then I make a well in the middle. Into that well, I pour either whole milk or buttermilk and start to gently fold it into itself. Don't over mix! Mix gently until it forms a ball (may have to add a little flour a little bit at a time). I then press it out onto a lightly floured surface (I don't roll and I know knead) and cut my rounds about 1/2 inch think. Spray my pan and then spray the biscuit tops with butter. Bake at 350 until the tops are golden brown. I nearly always use my big toaster oven instead of heating up my big stove oven. Is this the recipe (or near like it?) that you're using?

i used the one off the white lily flour bag. thought the oven temp at 500 seemed high, but that's what it called for....otherwise did not seem unusual....

2 c white lily self rising flour

1/4 c crisco or or 1/4 stick crisco, chilled

2/3 - 3/4 c milk or buttermilk, chilled

Heat oven to 500 degrees F. Spray cooking sheet with crisco spray. In a large bowl, combine flour and crisco, cutting in until it is the size of peas. Add just enough milk or buttermilk to make dough leave the sides of the bowl. Turn on lightly floured board, knead twice. Roll out 1/2 inch thick, place on prepared sheet, 1 inch apart for crisp sides, almost touching for soft sides. Bake until golden, 8-10 min.

(I did like the variation from the white lily package though...once I get biscuits to work for me I'll try the 'cheesy garlic' ones, they sound sooooo good....)

"Stir 1 cup of shredded cheese into the flour mixture before adding the milk. Bake as usual, then melt 1/4 c butter and stir in 1/4 tsp garlic powder. When biscuits are removed from oven and still warm, brush with garlic butter"

I could eat just biscuits for breakfast and be totally content. I will try your recipe in the morning. Sooner or later I should find a recipe that is a good fit....I cant believe Im doomed to hockey pucks forever....

Kappy...what recipe(s) are you using? Mine usually turn out really good. I use about 3 cups of white flour, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp. of baking soda, a pinch of salt, 1 tsp. sugar and then about 1/4 cup of lard or butter. I mix it up until it forms little "beads" and then I make a well in the middle. Into that well, I pour either whole milk or buttermilk and start to gently fold it into itself. Don't over mix! Mix gently until it forms a ball (may have to add a little flour a little bit at a time). I then press it out onto a lightly floured surface (I don't roll and I know knead) and cut my rounds about 1/2 inch think. Spray my pan and then spray the biscuit tops with butter. Bake at 350 until the tops are golden brown. I nearly always use my big toaster oven instead of heating up my big stove oven. Is this the recipe (or near like it?) that you're using?

tried this one this morning. no milk measurement so I used about 3/4 cup. I think there was too much baking soda - they tasted chemical-ish. Nice light texture but still did not rise.

Then I got irritated and tried a reputed KFC biscuit clone. No luck, they did not rise. Texture was crumbly.

Then I made the one my mother used to use - made with oil and skim milk, and baked as drop biscuits. I avoided handling them or putting in extra flour so they were practically a batter. Nope - they were the best tasting, but no bigger than when I put them on the sheet.

Could it be an oven problem? Ours is old and erratic, and I find it hard to believe that I haven't found a recipe yet that rises in it.

Who knows. The 'hockey puck' quest continues....

Edited by kappydell

tried this one this morning. no milk measurement so I used about 3/4 cup. I think there was too much baking soda - they tasted chemical-ish. Nice light texture but still did not rise.

Then I got irritated and tried a reputed KFC biscuit clone. No luck, they did not rise. Texture was crumbly.

Then I made the one my mother used to use - made with oil and skim milk, and baked as drop biscuits. I avoided handling them or putting in extra flour so they were practically a batter. Nope - they were the best tasting, but no bigger than when I put them on the sheet.

Could it be an oven problem? Ours is old and erratic, and I find it hard to believe that I haven't found a recipe yet that rises in it.

Who knows. The 'hockey puck' quest continues....

Oopss. my bad. The 1 tablespoon should have been baking POWDER and the baking soda should be 1/2 teaspoon...YUCKY on WE2! No wonder they tasted "chemically" ... yucky, yucky, yucky. Forgive?

• 2 months later...