MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cutting back on eggs?

Eggs have more than doubled in our area. I buy 'checks' (sp?) from an egg farm, which are a lot cheaper, but a box of eggs still ends up costing nearly $30. I've cut back to 4 flats instead of 6 flats a month by frying eggs instead of scrambling (less eggs used) and baking less low carb treats (coconut flour baking uses a LOT of eggs) but I'd like to cut back even more.

I think breakfast is the greatest challenge since I rarely eat grains. I do make a 'granola' from unsweetened coconut, cranberries and pumpkin seeds but other than that we get in a rut of eating eggs for a lot of our breakfasts.

I wondered if anyone else is cutting back on their egg buying and if so... what are you doing to eat less eggs?

Thank you in advance!

I have my own chickens so not cutting back. But, many people in my area are now starting to complain about the price of the. And I went to a local grocery store that has a bakery in it and was looking for challah bread. The bakery manager said they ran out of the bread (didn't make as much) because they ran out of eggs.

I don't eat many eggs so when I do buy them I only get 1/2 dozen at a time. Right before I read this I was getting ready to go grocery shopping so I checked out the eggs. Here at Giant Eagle for the regular eggs they were $2.89 for a dozen of grade A Large. They had plenty of them.

We're valuing out ducks more and more. We started earlier in the season to put back the "cleaner" eggs into a bucket of waterglass. Never quite know when our ducks will go into molt (sp) or reduce laying for whatever reason. With the price of eggs and scarcity....we want to make double sure to have set back two buckets. Also, I pay off both my primary and back up snow plow guys in duck eggs. My back up guy came a couple weeks ago wanting some for when his Louisiana relatives were coming to visit. :lol:

I know what you mean ....eggs for easy low carb breakfast protein. DH and I need low carb too. Affordable protein for us is the home grown eggs, pork, [can't do chicken] and whatever sale meat the store might have. [Like the holiday hams or turkeys] We don't eat much besides that so I'm super grateful for the ducks.

If you're trying to keep up the protein levels.....meat is not going to be much of an advantage in price, is it? I mean, you can make fried or hash brown potatoes and just add a bit of meat and scramble in an egg to the whole batch. But if you're low carb, I don't think there is a solution. All protein is expensive....unless you do the grain + legume. That's not low carb, even if it is a protein.

MtRider :shrug:

......never mind.. :cheer: I found out how to do a new MODERATOR thing today. :happy0203:

Something went wrong when I just tried to delete a duplicate post....and the whole post was deleted.

:ashamed0002::sSig_help2::runcirclsmiley2:

But [MtRider does not want to touch tooo many buttons!] I took a deep breath and push a few buttons and..... :ph34r:

.....MrsS did not blow up. :huh:

And I found a button to RESTORE a deleted post. Whew! :0327:

MtRider ....pushing new buttons give me a heart-attack! :behindsofa: Carry on...... :whistling:

Edited by Mt_Rider

ok, meat is still very expensive here , I don't know why because gas prices dropped so much, other than actual beef supply ( all animal meats though are high) in cost here. 5$ for a pound of hamburger?? as an example. chicken went up high too. I eat a lot of egg whites and use them in baking what I bake. Its quick . I will buy eggs as much as I can as long as I can.

I can eat some beans, but they have a lot of carbs and I was not absorbing much of the magnesium from them. I get it from meats though? And millk, as well as greens and broccoli.

I like eggs too, because for one person who just needs a quick meal , frying or scrambling an egg, grabbing some greens or cooking up a couple servings of veggies , making a quesadilla or wrap with the egg in it after cooking it is pretty fast and satisfying to me. I try to add something of a kind salad or sprouts and a tiny bowl of applesauce and with my morning coffee its a meal. Or lunch, lol. I boil up eggs too for hardboiled to keep in frig for protein snacks or when my blood sugar goes up and I need to bring it down. Two of those and I'm fine usually. Peanut butter and tuna get old!

Edited by sassenach

Several weeks ago we were at a plain people's bulk store and they had the scrambled eggs liquid, in half pint cartons for 75 cents per carton, so we bought several cases (6 in a case) and put them in our spare deep freeze. We haven't bought any store eggs for some time, but we did cut back to 3 egg omelets using spinach or bell pepper mix to stretch it out, and sprinkling shredded cheese on top. The liquid eggs are the equivalent of 10 eggs, so 75 cents was really cheap and a half cup is approximately 3 eggs. We also bought a case of 6 liquid egg whites & froze them. When the eggs started their upward spiral, we bought all the powdered eggs we could find..now you can't find them. We seldom fry eggs so scrambling them and adding other foods to them works for us.

I got a sale notice today that Emergency Essentials is having an egg products sale.

http://beprepared.com

They also have an article about bird flu and egg shortage. Of course their advice is to stock up on their products....and WE2 already mentioned that she and MrWE2 have a back up of powdered eggs as well as the liquid egg product. Yep...if this continues, alternative products might help. But ...compare the prices.

http://beprepared.com/blog/18405/bird-flu-egg-shortage/?EGGS=2-1

MtRider ...love your chicken pic, Goatlady. What a shot! :lol:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider beat me to it. I was going to suggest 'alternate' eggs, such as duck. And then in the same post she mentioned waterglass. :bow:

Georgene, 'checked' means they are not lilly white like the large stores want them. This can mean 'reject'ed by the stores, or self pulled, check the dates. It's the old 'brown egg' thing again.

I was also amused at WE2's comment. This is another trick, unless she is buying a brand name, such as 'egg-beaters'. Have a care there with the brand names. If you have such a 'store', you might also get just the whites and just the yolks, or whole with yolks unbroken, in mason jars. Such is not commonly offered to 'English' though. Ours also carries 'glazed' whole eggs by the six pack, see Mt_Riders post again. And there is a container deposit, just like was done with glass soda bottles.

I have not seen any price fluxuations. But then our supply chains are different. Just a minute. Let me check that last baby flat of 12. $2.40. Hum. About the same? Our goods are normally more expensive.

Sarah

We still eat eggs. Yes the price is going up.. I watch for sales and such. BUT.. what are you going to replace them with? And unless your'e dealing with an actual shortage of eggs, is it cheaper to do other things? We can do more pancakes and oatmeal and french toast to cut back.. but those are mainly carbs, hardly any protein.. so if I was looking to replace eggs with a protein source.. I just don't know that there is anything that would be cheaper. At $3 a doz (which I think I can get here in town) that's still only .50 cents per 2 egg serving.. yogurt would be more, meat would be more, nuts would be more, cheese.. maybe cheese would be cheaper.. milk is cheaper.. the problem isn't that just eggs are going up.. but that everything is going up so that finding something else cheaper with the same nutritional value isn't easy.

Mt_Rider beat me to it. I was going to suggest 'alternate' eggs, such as duck. And then in the same post she mentioned waterglass. :bow:

Georgene, 'checked' means they are not lilly white like the large stores want them. This can mean 'reject'ed by the stores, or self pulled, check the dates. It's the old 'brown egg' thing again.

I was also amused at WE2's comment. This is another trick, unless she is buying a brand name, such as 'egg-beaters'. Have a care there with the brand names. If you have such a 'store', you might also get just the whites and just the yolks, or whole with yolks unbroken, in mason jars. Such is not commonly offered to 'English' though. Ours also carries 'glazed' whole eggs by the six pack, see Mt_Riders post again. And there is a container deposit, just like was done with glass soda bottles.

I have not seen any price fluxuations. But then our supply chains are different. Just a minute. Let me check that last baby flat of 12. $2.40. Hum. About the same? Our goods are normally more expensive.

Sarah

Eggland's Best...the scrambled eggs. What's so funny?

http://www.egglandsbest.com/

I don't eat eggs in the summer time or during hot weather.

Eggs here were $1 doz. One Amish store has kept third eggs at $2 $2.25 doz.year around. There does not seem to be scarcity here or high price.

They're about $2.59 here ... at Aldi's. Even higher at other stores.

Not familiar with that brand. I would be taking a hard look at the ingredients list to see what if any additives.

Amused, not 'funny'. As in 'small world'. And speaking in a general tone, keep supporting that store.

Sarah

Yeah....I'm downright envious of all the types of stores that WE2 reports that they have access to. Up in my mountain community, you'd travel a loooooong way to arrive in an area where food-producing agriculture is going on.

MtRider :thumbs: ...which is why we try to do some of our own.. :duck 1:

We are blessed to live in a VERY wide area of Mennonite and Amish communities and do a lot of our shopping at them. I buy all my jars at one, $5.95 for a case for pints (made in Arkansas) and less for half pints. I also buy my rings and lids there and they just recently started carrying the Tattler lids and replacement gaskets...about 25 cents cheaper than the Morgan County Seed Store. Rather spend our dollars there than at some other more name brand stores. When we're able to live at the Homestead, we'll have some rabbits and some hens (no roosters...the city would probably not like it). With 3/4 of a acre in town we're limited, so we buy where we can get a good price :-) Hey...had a preacher once tell us to pray like Paul and bless ALL of our food! LOL

I haven't tried the Keystone meat products at Wal-Mart, but they may be worth a look. I bought a can to try yesterday - it was 28 oz of ground beef for $6.50. These are also sold on Amazon and a the keystonemeats.com. The ingredients are beef and sea salt, processed in Ohio. I haven't tried it yet - lots of reviews on Amazon.

About $3.71 {I think} a pound. Not too bad since you said it's canned? And if the quality is ok and not all fat/water. Let us know, please, KylesMom.

http://www.walmart.com/browse/food/meat-poultry/keystone/976759_976785_1001347/YnJhbmQ6S2V5c3RvbmUie

Reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Keystone-Meats-Natural-Canned-Ounce/product-reviews/B00B59QBE4

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=342212

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?s=acf62f26f191ab91da9f74a77ffe38a9&t=179799

=================================================================

Anyone know the pounds of protein you get from an egg....whatever size you buy?

We shop price-per-pound in the various types of food. Veg/fruit....we try to stay at $1. Meat...I try to stay below $3 per pound but sometimes go a bit over. Store discounts can sometimes bring it back under my limit.

MtRider ....we just gotta do whatever we can as the prices rise, since I don't really see them ever falling. :shrug:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Here's the Lehman's canned meat:

https://www.lehmans.com/c-89-canned-meat.aspx

By the case, price is $2 more per pound.

In the description of the BEEF:

• Contains no artificial ingredients, minimally processed here in Ohio
  • No water added

Same company as Keystone? Both are Ohio?

MtRider ....someone can check my figures cuz, even with calculator, I can easily goof! :rolleyes:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Not familiar with that brand. I would be taking a hard look at the ingredients list to see what if any additives.

Amused, not 'funny'. As in 'small world'. And speaking in a general tone, keep supporting that store.

Sarah

If one believes the label and their web site...we truly enjoy them!

http://www.egglandsbest.com/product/scrambled-eggs/

Ive had the pork and ordered hamburger and beef this time, Mt Rider on the keystone canned meats. I liked the pork a lot , it was torn style cooked meat. It tasted pretty good too. I might of ordered a can of the pork, not sure right now. Too tired to go read the lists on amazon orders tonight.

Sitting here out of eggs, forgot to get some when I was there the last time... but I remembered bleach! Will go get the eggs tomorrow.