MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hi folks! Back after a little vacation!

Shari

I have not posted in years. I've slipped in once and awhile to check on things.

Every time I haul my canning supplies out, I think of this place and say a prayer for all of you. My little side kick canner, who was just three when I joined Mrs. Survival, is almost thirteen! He still insists that I call the process 'jarring' because I put the stuff in jars not cans. He still enjoys helping even though I have to promise him extra time on the electronic gadgets. He has two little brothers who like to harvest and help, too.

During the intervening years, we closed our business and I went back to school and am an LPN. I have a great job at a short term rehabilitation unit. 'My' people are recovering from various surgeries, replacement parts surgeries, strokes and the like. They go through PT, OT, and other therapies and return home.

Years ago, Mrs. Survival helped push me out of my comfort zone of only canning jams, jellies, fruits and a few pressure-canned veggies to canning meats, stews and all manner of good things.

Today, I made sixteen half pints of lemon verbena jelly and decided I really missed this place as the kitchen resounded with pings all over the place.

Just wanted to say "Hi!' And, I am going to stay around awhile!

Hugs!

Shari

To me you're a newbie...but welcome back! Jarring...pretty accurate actually :-) I've just been toying around with canning (jarring?) LOL...up some corn cob jelly but using real corn to boil down for the juice. Just a thinkin' :-)

Don't just toy around with the idea - have some fun and do it!

To me you're a newbie...but welcome back! Jarring...pretty accurate actually :-) I've just been toying around with canning (jarring?) LOL...up some corn cob jelly but using real corn to boil down for the juice. Just a thinkin' :-)

Don't just toy around with the idea - have some fun and do it!

I'll get to it :-) But first...I just bought a bunch of lettuce, celery & onions. I want to can up (jar up?) these veggies so when I want a stew all I have to do is grab a quart of them, a quart of potatoes and a half pint of beef...and heat it up! AND...I also have a 5-day cooler FULL of defrosting chicken that I'll start canning up tomorrow also. Glad I've got a few canners :-) I'll put the veggies in one and the meats in one. Can't use the small 7-qt size for meats. Not accurate enough for me.

Thanks for all the welcomes! Three of the reasons why I became misty eyed for this place are my three Grandsons, my jarring partners. They asked when I was going to make that zucchini spaghetti again. I saved a recipe from here and use it yearly. I think it came from HSMom? Anyway, it is delicious and is the favorite spaghetti sauce at this house! I jar up a lot of stews in the fall, too! Best fast food in town for the rest of the year!

This one

Zucchini Spaghetti

3 lbs ground meat

2 heads (2 whole heads, not 2 cloves) garlic, peeled and pressed or minced

7 - 7.5 lbs fresh mushrooms, quartered or chopped

6 large zucchini (let them grow to 2-3 inches in diameter and 10-12 inches long) pureed with skins on until they are saucy

2 #10 cans tomato sauce (6lb, 10oz each)

4 Tbsp dried minced onion

4 Tbsp oregano

1 Tbsp basil

In a large pot/pan, brown and crumble ground meat. After the first few minutes, but before meat is fully cooked, add in prepared garlic and mushrooms. Cook over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink and mushrooms give off their juice.

Stir in zucchini sauce (trust me; noone will know), tomato sauce and seasonings. Let simmer for 1/2 hour or so. Can in quart jars, processing as for meat at your altitude.

Yields around 14 quarts. Comments are HSMom's

• 1 month later...

I also hear it as "bottled chicken."

Bottle is a frequentative/diminutive of "butt." Frequentatives are a particular interest of minee, btw.

Also see this from etymonline.com:

buttery (n.) dictionary.gif "place for storing liquor," originally "room where provisions are laid up" (late 14c.), from Old French boterie, from Late Latin botaria, from bota, variant of butta "cask, bottle;" seebutt (n.2) + -ery. Edited by Ambergris