MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Science TEST ...not for the faint-hearted

Mt_Rider

So...calling all Einsteins.....

This is a rather difficult and extensive test. Some of us are a looooong way gone from high school....which might be the last place we heard much science. But I thot it was kind of interesting to slosh around a few brain cells for a change. Some things ...big things like planets...have changed in these past decades too. Some of the answers I sucessfully figured out thru deductive reasoning.....which was the fun part for me. Some....no deductive reasoning possible....no data to work with...complete guess.

Hmph...swatting at a fly caused me to click the wrong answer on one of them...but I got a few Total Guesses right so I guess I can't complain. :lol:

I was surprised and thrilled to score 60% ....since most of my science knowledge recently comes from sci-fi books. Hey, they DO have real science in them! :)

Give it a try, if you're so minded:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/1209/Are-you-scientifically-literate-Take-our-quiz/Composing-about-78-percent-of-the-air-at-sea-level-what-is-the-most-common-gas-in-the-Earth-s-atmosphere

MtRider :scratchhead::blink::shakinghead:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Some good guesses are great deductive reasoning. THAT COUNTS! When you know a little bit of this and that....but not the answer...well, isn't most of life like that? Good decision-making often relies on less than complete data. But if we can reason things out....it's better than throwing darts at a board for the answer.

Some of my answers were the dart-throwing kind. :lol:

MtRider :pc_coffee:

I have that math thing too. I wish they would have known about it when I was younger. It's called Dyscalculia. I don't have any problems with letters...just numbers. That includes judging time, weight, age, distance, phone numbers, regular arithmetic and basically anything with numbers. Just today I wrote down a phone number and mixed up a couple of numbers. I can use a calculator three times and come up with three different answers. I am good at making change though. :shrug:

https://www.understood.org/en/learning-attention-issues/child-learning-disabilities/dyscalculia/understanding-dyscalculia#item4

I didn't know there was a name for it! I mix up numbers sometimes too! My Dad always thought I had some form of dyslexia because I mix up my right hand and my left hand. Like if we're in the car and someone says "Look at that pretty house on the right!" I would automatically look to my left, etc. I have to think really hard when giving someone directions and I'm telling them turn right or turn left to get it right. I've gotten better as I've gotten older and worked more at getting it right the first time.

Oh my Daylily, I do the same thing with my right and left. I do know which is which but I always have to stop and think for a second, 'Married hand is to the left.' It helps that I talk with my hands so they are visible for cheating. :nail:

In a car I usually just say, "Get in the fast lane...or stay in the slow lane." Sigh.

Joining the club. :grouphug: I was surprised to read on that site that the Right Left thing was a part of it. When giving directions, I tell people to follow my pointing - not what comes out of my mouth. I've got about a 75% chance of being right on R/L ...if I don't have time to curl my RIGHT hand around an imaginary pencil. I WRITE with my RIGHT.

See, we've all 'made do' but it's certainly been an embarrassing and somewhat limiting factor. I didn't know it had a name either.

How many digits can you all remember? I can remember 3 digits [ like: 384, 495, 203....] I can remember four if I mentally say them as doubles [Like: 1458 = fourteen fifty-eight. 2001 = twenty-oh-one. 5673 = fifty-six seventy-three. ] Five digits and above.....hopeless without writing them down. Even then, I'm likely to write down the wrong number or order. MS has definitely made this WORSE. :gaah:

Trying to say 15,000 or 1,500 is nearly worse than Right/Left. :scratchhead: I can figure out which is fifteen hundred and which is fifteen thousand....if I ponder on it. However.....I always know which is the bigger number. That's plain to me...just can get the right name out.

Yeah...'back in the day' of the Iowa Baisc Skills [overall comprehensive tests]....I'd score in the 98% in vocabulary and very high in all language skills. Same year I scored 15% for math. These days....I'd hope that would be a Red Flag for a teacher.

MtRider 2 + 2 = 45678897654567654456989098654321 :curtsy:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I can only remember the numbers in my address, my phone number (I've had both for over 25 years) and my S.S. number that I've had since I was 10 years old. I think that's it. I will not remember anyone's address or phone number.

I've told my son and D-ex that if I ever have to be tested for any forms of dementia, to tell the doctors to NOT use any numbers in the test. I've heard of tests where they say count backwards from 100 by 7's. :24: I could probably do it by 5's and 10's. Probably.

I'm sounding dumber and dumber by the minute. :008Laughing:

I can count backwards.......

:sassing:

If I use my fingers and concentrate really hard.

Not 'dumb' if we're wired that way. :grinning-smiley-044: Just think how clever we've had to be thru the years, to adapt around this.... :cheer:

MtRider ...yeah, I like twos, fives, and tens toooo.

I can remember lots of phone numbers but not my SS number or CC number. When I give directions I will say turn Right (correctly) and point to the Left.

In elementary school, I usually made C's and D's in math even though I can do math. I hated the word problems. But in high school I loved algebra and made A's. My grade was so high, I didn't even have to take the final exam. I cannot explain that. Maybe the teacher made a big difference. I still have to look up how to do percentages, etc. if I need to do that.

Jeepers that's funny about no numbers in a dementia test. My Sister-in-law was just telling me a few weeks ago that her MIL, who had dementia used to be an accountant. The doctor was asking her number questions and she was quickly and correctly answering each one. Finally C told him to stop asking her number questions and he started asking her questions like "What is this thing I have around my neck?" (A tie). She couldn't answer those questions.